Skip navigation
Mark Embrey
Currently Being Moderated

create "seamless steel pipe" border ???

Mar 22, 2011 2:29 PM

I'm a real newb on Illustrator - I want to create a border for export to Flash Catalyst that looks like a continuous steel pipe with rounded corners.

I've tried several things and looked all over for examples. It seems that I need to create 2 rectangles, one a bit smaller, group them and then create a clipping mask.

Every time and every which way I try this I end up with the center area showing and the outer area hidden. What I want to end up with is the outer area showing and the inner area hidden.

.. and then still I don't know how to have the desired result have a "3D" look as you would expect of a pipe.

Ideas anyone?

many thanks,

Mark

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 22, 2011 2:44 PM   in reply to Mark Embrey

Here's one way, a bit old-fashioned but it works.

Draw your frame as a rounded rectangle with a heavy (black) stroke.

Copy and paste to front; colour it (white), give it a light stroke and offset it a bit.

Blend between the two with Smooth Color.

pipeframe.jpg

You can also make an art brush for this kind of thing but this has the advantage of being dead simple.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2011 4:02 PM   in reply to Mark Embrey

MCE,

.. and then still I don't know how to have the desired result have a "3D" look as you would expect of a pipe.

As always, Steve is overly modest: that is exactly what you get with his suggestion, as opposed to an Artbrush.

You can also make an art brush for this kind of thing but this has the advantage of being dead simple.

Apart from being simple, it gives the 3D look with the light at an angle, as opposed to an Art Brush which (symmetric or not) corresponds to getting the light straight in from the front.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2011 4:26 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

I think I meant Pattern Brush.

Here's a pdf (disguised as a jpg) that someone posted many moons ago.

AIPipeBrush.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2011 4:38 PM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

Sorry, that didn't seem to work. Here it is again as a picture.

Pipe.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2011 7:17 PM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

looks familiar

This, on the other hand, is done with a useless old ArtBrush:

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2011 12:50 AM   in reply to JETalmage

JET:

Yep, I thought it must've been one of yours. Recognized the style :-)

Steve.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2011 3:58 PM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

This illustration by JET is just what I am trying to do, but I'm having trouble with the second step.  I've create a pipe design using blend, as shown in step 1.  Then I've copied this design and expanded it.  I've then created an outline of the end of the pipe, by uniting the similarly sized rectangle and an ellipse.  But it's the cropping that I'm having trouble with.

I have placed the pipe end shape layer on top of the expanded pipe shape layer, selected both layers, and used crop from the transform panel.  This does create the shape that I want, but now the blend disappears.  So now I'm left with a transparent object

-- I've tried so many variations including using intersect instead of crop that I've thoroughly confused myself, but I still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, or not doing right.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 6:47 AM   in reply to Mark Embrey

1.steve fairbairn is right....

You can also make an art brush for this kind of thing but this has the advantage of being seamless pipe dead simple.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 6:50 AM   in reply to Mark Embrey

and then still I don't know how to have the desired result have a "3D" look as you would expect of a pipe.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 9:34 AM   in reply to steel pipes

In CS6 simply apply a gradient to the stroke.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points