Skip navigation
MJKemper
Currently Being Moderated

Help! It's my first NLE

Jul 9, 2012 2:23 PM

Hello everyone

I’m building my first NLE and I was wondering if I could get some feedback, suggestions and wisdom from those with more knowledge and experience than I have.  I’m just getting started with Premiere Pro and After Effects and figured I’d start with the new CS6 release.  I have a budget of about $2K for hardware, and since NLEs get can get a lot pricier than that, I want to make sure I’m getting the best system I can afford. Here’s what it looks like so far:

CPU – Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz

Mother Board – ASUS Sabertooth Z77

RAM – COSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB (2x8GB) 240-pin DDR3 1600

GPU - EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16

PSU – SeaSonic X750 Gold

Cooling – Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

Storage – 1 x SSD (suggestions or should I go with another HDD)

2 x WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200RPM 6.0Gb/s 3.5”

Optical Drive - Pioneer Black Internal BD/DVD/CD Writer SATA BDR-207DBKS

Did I forget anything?  I have a case picked out that should work. I’m really not sure about the GPU. Will it work for CUDA acceleration in Premiere Pro, or must I use one of the cards listed on the Adobe site?  I’ve read many discussions on this matter, but there really hasn’t been a straight answer. 

Oh, and suggestions on monitors for around $400 would be appreciated too.

Thanks for your time.

Michael

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 9, 2012 11:37 AM   in reply to MJKemper

use the nVidia Hack http://forums.adobe.com/thread/629557 - which is a simple entry in a "supported cards" file

I like my 27" Samsung p2770 monitor

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 11:46 PM   in reply to MJKemper

All seem fine ,if you have a little more spare cash and this is your first NLE you are bliuding   rather go with a ASUS Sabertooth  x79 MB with more Ram slots and the cpu 3930K ,SSD is what you should be aiming to OCZ   ort Corair  about 120 gig size , Samsung is a good chioces,  but I would go with 2 screen one for the editing apps and the other for hdmi out put.

Harm or Bill  would be the best to give you the best advise.

hope this helps

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 2:27 PM   in reply to MJKemper

Michael,

The latest version of Premiere (CS6 6.0.1) requires at least six physical Intel CPU cores just to perform well in MPEG-2 DVD encoding performance. Unless your new build includes a GeForce GPU that costs more money than the CPU and motherboard combo put together, no quad-core LGA 1155 CPU platform (nor for that matter any quad-core CPU platform based on LGA 1366 or LGA 2011) performs anywhere near as well in MPEG-2 DVD encoding performance than even the oldest, slowest Intel hexa-core CPU with a middle-of-the-road GeForce GPU. This alone completely throws the entire BFTB (Bang For The Buck) out the 94th-floor window.

Because of this, your planned build with the i7-3770K and a GTX 670 might perform significantly slower overall in CS6 than, yet costs almost as much money as, a PC with an i7-3930K and only a GTX 560 Ti.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 9:15 PM   in reply to John T Smith

John T Smith wrote:

use the nVidia Hack http://forums.adobe.com/thread/629557 - which is a simple entry in a "supported cards" file

I like my 27" Samsung p2770 monitor

Hi John

Have you sene any noticeable improvement on the 670 compared to for example the 570 card - in other words, would an upgrade be worth it on a 2011 / 3930 CPU / 32 GB machine do you think?

Thanks

/Ulf

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 12:01 AM   in reply to UlfLaursen

Ulf,

The Kepler range of cards do not improve performance noticeably over the Fermi range of cards. Even though they have far more CUDA cores, their memory bandwidth has remained about the same, so there is no improvement in performance. The only considerations to upgrade from a 570 to a 670 or 680 are lesser energy consumption and thus quieter and the capability to steer up to 4 monitors. If you do not need to steer more than two monitors, I think it a waste of money to upgrade from a 570.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 12:07 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Thanks Harm - I'll stick to my 570 and save the money :)

Ulf

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 5:12 AM   in reply to UlfLaursen

Ulf,

I'm still hoping - but maybe in vain - that nVidia will announce a GTX 685 with a 384 bit memory bus. That would make a huge difference in performance.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points