Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Dreamweaver CS6 Library Updating Problem

Jun 25, 2012 9:19 AM

Tags: #dreamweaver #cs6

When updating my menu, which is a Library item, using Dreamweaver CS6, after the initial update sequence the program keeps trying continuously to update related files but will not complete the update. After I cancel the update it initiates the update again and again does not complete the update. The original complete update actually works but the continuous updating cycle make it so I have to close the program and restart to even work on the site.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I am using the Creative Cloud subscription for CS6. I am using the Windows 7 professional platform.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 25, 2012 9:39 AM   in reply to cathykimball

Let's see your page and its Library item, please. Can you post a link to the page?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 12:23 AM   in reply to MurraySummers

Dreamweaver CS6 (Update Library Item) Problem; appear dialogue box again and again

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 5:22 AM   in reply to Mian Alam

Read my previous post in this thread.  We cannot answer anything until we see your code.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 6:17 AM   in reply to cathykimball

Everything there looks OK.  I'll see if I can reproduce your symptoms with CS6.  Standby....

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 7:28 AM   in reply to MurraySummers

I'm not able to reproduce your symptoms.  Here are my steps:

1.  I restart DW (W7-64 but local DW, not Cloud-based)

2.  I select my testing site

3.  I open the topNav.lbi file from the Library folder of the site

4.  I make a change to the navigation HTML and save the file

5.  I am prompted as to whether I want to update the files that use this Library item and select Yes

6.  DW scans for these files, and performs the update normally

Under any circumstances, DW should never scan RELATED files.  I'm curious if that's what's really happening - are you sure?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 10:07 AM   in reply to cathykimball

Good luck cathykimball!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 2:13 PM   in reply to cathykimball

cathykimball wrote:

Has no one else experienced this issue?

No, but then many people who used to use Library items now use Server Side Includes instead.

Far more efficient.

Have you thought of trying them rather than wrestling with obscure troubleshooting of functions in DW?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 10:42 AM   in reply to cathykimball

cathykimball wrote:

This would not help with the many existing websites that I manage.

May I ask why?

cathykimball wrote:

I doubt the clients would OK time spent re-doing a site because a Dreamweaver function that has always worked great starts acting wacky with new and improved version.

There's not much involved in switching from a Library item to an SSI.

Once the SSI is setup, it's a single identical line of code per Library item in each page. Can be done with a sitewide Find & Replace.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 9:16 AM   in reply to John Waller

I have this problem too and it is very annoying!!

Every time I do anything Dreamweaver asks me to update all the other pages in my site.

It is a definite bug in Dreamweaver CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 2:04 PM   in reply to cathykimball

same issue.  and it doesn't seem to matter what kind of library/include/language, it is slogs away after every line change or save.  horrible.  PHP, JavaScript, HTML, ASP, doesn't matter.  everything stops while DW scans for whatever ...almost unusable on larger projects because of the time it takes to scan everything.  i have a sinlge page test with one inlcude: 18sec scan everytime i change something.  doesn't even wait for the F5 update keypress.  have gone back to DW5 until a patch fix comes out. 

WR!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 1:50 PM   in reply to cathykimball

Adobe engineers don't lurk in these user-to-user forums.  Use the link below to file an official bug report.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 12:47 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

Same issue here:

Steps to reproduce bug:

1. Save a library item that is referenced in a simple html file

2. When saving the template it correctly asks me if I want to update the above HTML file. When I click update it immediately comes up with a second update box without saving the library item again. It is instant.

3. Above HTML is never actually updated.

Expected results: It should only me once per save to update files that the library items are referenced in. CS5.5 did not have this problem.

The only solution I found was to remove the library item from the HTML template and re-add. That fixes it which definatley leads me to believe it is a bug in the CS6 library.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 6:43 AM   in reply to cathykimball

I have this same problem, very annoying.  Considering I have the library item in 35 files, I'm not going to remove & re-add it, so better solution is required.  Temporary solution is to not save the library item until all edits are complete, then closing DW6.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 8:46 AM   in reply to cathykimball

I agree - it's quite the annoyance.  We shouldn't have to adjust our workflow to compensate for a bug.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 8:51 AM   in reply to alaszlo

Well I submitted a bug report, maybe you can do the same and reference this thread? The more reports, the more likely they'll look into it further.

Here is the bug report url:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 4:27 PM   in reply to otreva

Done.  Hopefully I don't get a request like 'can I see the page' because that is unlikely to uncover anything.  I can definitely see getting the runaround on this.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 7:03 AM   in reply to alaszlo

Well, it's the end of September, and I still have this issue intermitently  as well on templates or library items. When it happens, the only fix is to close DW, then reopen and open only the library/template file, update, then let it update all the related files once.

Any news?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2012 10:37 PM   in reply to Tami KB

this problem is now my problem, does anyone have a fix for this?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 2:30 AM   in reply to ironcove

Hello,

I had this problem even when Dreamweaver was owned by Macromedia. That is like 12 yrs ago. I needed to use Dreamweaver again. Now CS6. Can't believe it is still here.

Today I had this problem and I MAY HAVE SOME HINT why it is like this. I was editing the Lib item, and basically adding and removing HTML , div tags. I think it was caused by UNEVEN tags, which resulted in Dreamweaver engine not able to find the library items on the page. Perhaps it may seem lame, but the ideal option this case, would be for DMX to use string parsing and not any DOM parsing ( making some wild guess) - apologies I am no where close. Cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 6:14 PM   in reply to Joshua Yip

Hi, bit new to DW here, but i am having an issue where when i save changes to a Library item, it simply does not pop-up the Update Library Item Box...

Hence my pages containing the said item do not update...

help?

JL

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2014 1:44 PM   in reply to jlm300

I resolved my update window popping up all the time by following this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/494811 given to me by Nancy.  I had to rename the personal configuration folder to get mine to work.

Also I have to use the save all feature instead of the save as feature to update all the pages using the template.  Otherwise use the modify-->templates-->upgrade pages to do it manually.  Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points