Skip navigation
Squisterson
Currently Being Moderated

Scripts too hidden! Is there another way to access them?

Jun 10, 2012 11:21 AM

There are scripts I like to use on a regular basis. Clicking through Filer / Scripts / Folder Name / Script Name every time is quite tedious. What's the best way to place specific scripts elsewhere, or accessing them through keyboard shortcuts?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 10, 2012 11:38 AM   in reply to Squisterson

Place your scripts into Illustrator's Scripts folder, and after a restart they will appear in the File -> Scripts menu:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/illustrator/cs/using/WS714a382cdf7d304e7e0 7d0100196cbc5f-62a3a.html

Hotkeys? No, sorry. Script Panel? Nope.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2012 12:27 PM   in reply to Squisterson

You can use an Action with a script embedded but it won't survive a restart. One of the many frustrations in scripting AI.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2012 2:22 PM   in reply to Squisterson

win or mac?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2012 12:35 AM   in reply to Squisterson

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 11:02 PM   in reply to Squisterson

While it is correct that scripts inside an action will be lost on restart, if you can live with only one actions set the following will work:

Assign your scripts to multiple actions with 'insert menu item', once done save the action set from the panel flyout menu.  Went you launch Illustrator, first open a document (builds the scripts list internally), and then select 'replace actions' from the actions flyout menu, and select the file you saved. Your actions will be restored with the links to the scripts intact.  If you alter your actions you'll obviously need to save them again before restart.  Tested on CS4 and CS6 on Windows Vista/7.

An alternative if you have a Wacom professional tablet (Intuos) is to assign Popup/Radial/HUD Menu to a pen button and then your scripts to the menu items in that menu, or directly to the expresskeys on the tablet itself:

Use the 'keystroke' type, and enter 'Alt+F R [first letter of script name]', e.g. to run a script called 'test.jsx' in the root of the scripts folder, enter 'Alt+F R T'.  If you have multiple scripts starting with the same letter, adding the '&' character to the file name will set the keyboard shortcut letter.  e.g. te&st.jsx will still display as 'test' in the illustrator script menu, but 'Alt+F R S' will activate it. This is for windows of course, not sure of the keyboard shortcuts on the Mac.

You can assign the pen buttons, the menu and the expresskeys on a per application basis in the Wacom control panel, so this can be setup just for Illustrator, i.e. my pen side switch is Right/Middle click in most programs, and Popup Menu/Spacebar (for easy panning) in Illustrator, and I have different menus items setup for different applications.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 4:40 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 6:04 AM   in reply to Harbs.

harbs… do you know who moderates this forum? A couple of sticky topics at the top would not go amiss… I would like to see links to jongs helpers, and script bay up there… Save me repeating myself… over and over

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 2:33 PM   in reply to Muppet Mark

Hi Mark,

I don't think anyone actively moderates this forum, although I do some housekeeping from time to time.

Shoot me a PM, and I'll try to add some links and stuff...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points