• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing DWG or DXF Files into AI

New Here ,
Jul 10, 2012 Jul 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to import dielines that are either dwg or dxf files into illustrator so I can add artwork and send to the vendor. Can anyone help me out on how to Import them? I tried importing them as EPS files, but they were always scaled down to an 8.5" x 11" piece of paper. I need these dielines to keep their actual size. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try making a .pdf from autocad, and opening that in illustrator.  227.54" is the largest page size in illustrator, so as long as you don't go over you shoudl be good. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can open or place he dwg or dxf file with Illustrator but the latest version it will open is AutoCAD 2006 so make sure you are not saving to anything newer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you have the scale set correctly. See picture.

DXFDWG Options_2012-07-10_21-17-16.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2013 Jun 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to import a DWG file into AI CS6 or CS5, I receive the message: The plugin cannot be initialized for lack of the initialization file "ADINIT.DAT".

I'd appreciate any help in resolving this problem.

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2013 Jun 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds to me as if you did not install the import and export filters for DWG, or they are corrupt. Illustrator does not support the newer DWG versions, but you get a error "an unknown format and cannot be opened" when attempting to import a newer DWG version. Can you export a DWG file from Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2013 Jun 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can export fine in dwg format from Illustrator, but cannot import (have tried various older versions of dwg back to 2000).

How would I install the import/export filters? Are they on the original install CD?

Thanks for you help...

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please check if you have ADINIT.DAT file present in the "Plug-ins\Illustrator Formats" folder inside your install directory?

Which version of Illustrator are you working on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have both CS5 and CS6 installed, and I was having the problem with both. However, I reimstalled each and they are working fine now. Thanks for your help...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2014 Aug 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always solved it by exporting a SVG file from the CAD, I use MicroStation but I think AutoCAD have the same option. Then you can open with Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2014 Nov 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also experiencing this issue. I have a DXF from another department, but Adobe Illustrator will not open the file. I keep getting this message: The file "___.dxf" is in an unknown format and cannot be opened.

I've tried opening this file in CC 2014 and CS6. According to this post, Illustrator should be able to open DXF files: Supported file formats | Illustrator.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2014 Nov 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator opens DXF, but not the latest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2016 Jul 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Which version of AI opens DXF files??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2014 Dec 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using a program to convert the DXF to an earlier compatible version. I created a DXF-file in ConeCalc, then converted it to be compatible with AutoCAD Release 10. I was able to open in Illustrator CC 2014 and select original scale.

search for CloudConvert-Beta. That's what I used. Drag file into browser, click the (wrench) next to the file-name ( Step 2. ) and choose your level of compat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines