Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why doesn't my Smooth Scroll article show up in Content Viewer?

Jul 10, 2012 1:06 AM

Tags: #ipad #indesign_cs5.5 #builder

I'm having trouble getting an article, which is 1024w x 1500h and set to smooth scroll, to update in the Content Viewer. The file seems to upload from InDesign 5.5 into the Folio Builder without a problem, but when I refresh the Content Viewer on my iPad, there's no update. It will update normal 1024 x 768 articles, but not the longer smooth scroll ones. All my software is up to date and i'm using Viewer v21. When I create a Folio from scratch, with the smooth scroll article as the only one in the Folio, all I get is a dark grey screen.

Has anyone else had this problem, or am I doing something wrong?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 10, 2012 7:14 AM   in reply to marcbackwell

Are your 2 issues in this thread related? Can you be more descriptive about your workflow? I'm looking for details on your folio and online/offline state. For the folio, is this png/pdf/html? Single or dual orientation?

Please give separate details for both, thanks.

// James Roche

// I was born lucky

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 1:47 PM   in reply to jamesroche

Hi James, thanks for your reply, and yes the posts are related.

I've managed to make things work by a) making sure I set up my folio as single orientation and b) making sure Smooth Scroll is set to scroll in both directions rather than only vertically, which is really all I want. It seems that if I do not make sure those two things are chosen, the smooth scroll article will not show up in the Content Viewer. The Folio is set to Automatic in the Default Format, although I do choose PDF when adding the article as it's less than two page lengths. I am working online, so that my Folio Builder uploads the Folio to Adobe, which I then update on my iPad 3 Content Viewer. I do not not know whether it is a bug that will not show smooth scroll articles in a multi-orientation Folio, or whether it's supposed to be that way. It isn't ideal and I hope it can get fixed soon (unless there's something I'm doing wrong, which could well be the case as I'm pretty new to DPS). I also don't know why choosing Vertical Only in the Smooth Scroll option results in the wrong page orientation error message, but that isn't a problem to me - I just wonder why the option is offered, when it won't work when selected.

Anyhow, I'm just happy to able to continue creating my publication - even if it is only single orientation!

Thanks,

Marc

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 2:04 PM   in reply to nz_geographic

The smooth scroll direction is not for the way it scrolls, it for the orientation of the page. If you choose vertical and you only have a horizontal orientation in the app I wouldn’t be surprised at a problem.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 2:12 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Aah, OK, thanks Bob. At the moment it seems that I have to set up my app as single orientation for smooth scrolling to work anyway - so the option seems unnecessary. Again, I could well be getting something wrong - it wouldn't be the first time!

Thanks again,

Marc

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 10:23 PM   in reply to nz_geographic

ok, I think my problem is related to this. I can't seem to upload a 2048x1536, landscape only, PDF, smooth scroll folio. The library never updates. Yet I can side-load the same folio via USB and view it perfectly on Ipad 2 in Content Viewer. Is there some limitation in the cloud on 2048x1536 folios? Any ideas?

If I create a new folio 1024x768 and add the identical article, then upload - no problem, the library updates and there it is (albeit at lower resolution when pinching and zooming). Whats going on?

cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 10:28 PM   in reply to mitchiedog

I'm sorry you're having the same problem but I'm also kinda glad too. It leads me to believe that this is a bug in the Content Viewer app, rather than some workflow issue. I'm having a nightmare with it - sometimes the Content Viewer updates the Folio, sometimes it doesn't. It seems a bit random...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points