Skip navigation
I Cast
Currently Being Moderated

Where do I update to RAW 6.1?

Jul 8, 2012 8:26 AM

I'm working through Kelby CS5 and could not duplicate his work flow until I realized my RAW is 6.0 NOT 6.1!!! How do I update to Adobe RAW 6.1?

Frustrated

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 8, 2012 8:42 AM   in reply to I Cast

You want to update to last version of 6.x which I believe is 6.7.

Click on Adobe above and go to downloads.

You can also update by clicking on Updates in PS Help.  PS may also need an update.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 8, 2012 9:13 AM   in reply to I Cast

Curt's advice is correct.

As stated, do one of the following things:

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 8, 2012 10:46 AM   in reply to I Cast

Clear your browser cache and try the download again.  I just downloaded it and there's no problem with the zip file on the Adobe site.

Why your system should tell you the update is not applicable is beyond me.  Have you succeeded installing the update at one time in the past?

What do you see when, in Photoshop, you choose Help - About Plug-in...?  Do you see only one entry for Camera Raw?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 3:12 PM   in reply to I Cast

You can go to Program Files/COMMON Files/Adobe/Plug-ins/CSx/File Formats which gives you Camera Raw.8bi 

Delete the .8bi file and try downloading 6.7 again.

Do you have the latest version of CS5?  Download locatons in previous posts.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 8, 2012 7:19 PM   in reply to I Cast

Oh lord.  There are almost no legitimate Photoshop sales on eBay.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 7:33 PM   in reply to I Cast

I Cast wrote:

…Adobe Photoshop Version: 12.0 (12.0x20100115) X64…

Oh, brother!  No one, absolutely no one should be running that version of Photoshop.  You should be in either version 12.0.4 or 12.1.

Before you update Photoshop and fix that, there's no point in your messing around with ACR.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 7:40 PM   in reply to I Cast

Forget about ACR 6.1 already!  The version that gets installed by default from a legitimate Photoshop install DVD is ACR 6.0, and that is obsolete from the get go.  ACR 6.1 has been obsolete for years too.  You need to update ACR to version 6.7, and nothing else.

Before you can do that, though, you need to update Photoshop to 12.0.4 or 12.1, no ifs or buts.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 7:48 PM   in reply to I Cast

Through the Updates or Check for Updates menu item in the Help menu in Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 8, 2012 7:59 PM   in reply to I Cast

What's got me worried is the possibility that this is an illegitimate version of Photoshop CS5, which can't properly be updated by the online updates Adobe has published.

I don't really know how to check, outside of verifying your serial number with the Adobe customer support people.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 8:02 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

What's got me worried is the possibility that this is an illegitimate version of Photoshop CS5, which can't properly be updated by the online updates Adobe has published…

That's very possible.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 8, 2012 8:06 PM   in reply to I Cast

There is one possibility for you to get a recent version of Camera Raw.8bi into the proper location (from where you deleted it)...

See this thread for where to find the files within the Camera Raw updater package that become Camera Raw.8bi on your system.  With Windows XP you'll only be interested in the 32 bit one:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4491476

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 8:07 PM   in reply to I Cast

I Cast,

Does your copy of Photoshop say either "Portable" or "Lite" anywhere on it?  If so, it's an illegal copy.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,052 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Jul 9, 2012 2:03 AM   in reply to I Cast

Hello, if you constantly get bad ZIPs or EXEs, try to use another browser for your downloads.

Disable your download accelerator software if you use any.

Try to use another Zip expander, like stuffit, 7zip, or .  (Wich one are you using?)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 8:58 AM   in reply to I Cast

What are you doing?  There is nothing about copying a file from inside a zip to a location on your hard-drive that involves double-clicking on a Camera Raw.8bi file, and there is nothing in Noel’s linked instructions that says to double-click on the AdobePatchInstaller.exe, especially when it is inside the zip-file, still, which is what the error message is telling you not to do.  If you want to run the Adobe Patch Installer you need to extract all the files from that update zip into a folder of your choosing and then run the patch installer exe.

If you still want to try Noel’s process for manually placing the new ACR from within the updater zip to its proper location on your hard drive, here is my versions of the instructions, with the double-clicks explicitly stated:

Double-click on the AdobeCameraRaw-6.7-mul-AdobeUpdate.zip to open it in Windows Explorer.

Double-click on the payloads folder inside the zip to show its contents in Windows Explorer.

Double-click on the first folder you see under payloads, the one without x64 and without Profile in the name, this is for the 32-bit version of Camera RAW.8bi

Within that folder you’ll see an Assets2_1.zip.

Right-click on Assets2_1.zip and choose Copy.

Go to your Desktop and create a new folder, then open that folder and paste the Assets2_1.zip into that folder.

From within that new folder, double-click on Assets2_1.zip to open it in Windows Explorer.

Within that zip file, find the 1003 file that is a little over 20MB in size, much larger than anything else.

Right-click on it and choose Copy.

Open a new Windows Explorer window and navigate to the folder in  Noel’s instructions:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS5\File Formats\Camera Raw.8bi

Right-click in that folder and choose Paste.

You should now see a 1003 file in that folder.

If you already have a Camera Raw.8bi file, rename it changing the .8bi to .bak.

Rename the 1003 file to Camera Raw.8bi.

Now the 32-bit version of Camera Raw.8bi has been updated to 6.7.

Return to your original ZIP file and now click down into the folder under payloads that has an x64 in the name.

Follow the same steps for unzipping the Assets2_1.zip and such, just copy the 1002 file into 64-bit version of Camera Raw.8bi, which Noel says is:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS5\File Formats\Camera Raw.8bi

That should be it.

It would be preferable to get the Adobe Patch Installer to run and complete successfully because it will also install the lens and camera profiles for your camera, but without those you’ll still have the basic raw conversion occurring and the Adobe Standard profile.

Since you purchased your PS-CS5 from eBay, the packaging may be original from Adobe and never opened—you can download the software as a trial for free and it will be basically the same thing as on the DVD, but the serial number is really the only important thing, and if Adobe has never certified that serial number as being shipped or solder or Adobe finds out the package was stolen or any number of other things that could have happened that aren’t a normal sale from Adobe to the customer, then Adobe could eventually blacklist the serial number and PS will eventually just stop working with a message that it is not a legit.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 9:00 AM   in reply to I Cast

Did you delete the old .8bi file before downloading the 6.7 file?  Believe the process should install in correct spot.  If not you will have to copy un-zipped file to the Program Files/COMMON Files/Adobe/Plug-ins/CSx/File Formats location. 

This is location for 64 bit version.  THere should also be a 32 bit version, but that goes in the 32 bit location, same address but (X86)

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 10, 2012 10:30 AM   in reply to I Cast

I take it you can now see the functions you need in Camera Raw - that's great news!  Thank you for following up and letting us know you got it working.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 13, 2012 7:45 AM   in reply to I Cast

As we discussed before, if you are seeing the file open in Camera Raw 6.0, you have another copy of Camera Raw.8bi on your system somewhere that Photoshop is finding.  There is no other way this could occur.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 8:21 AM   in reply to I Cast

You should do a search for "camera raw.8bi"

Click on Start type in phrase, then click more results and search computer.  You should get several hits as you have both 64 and 32 bit ACR, and may have more than one CS version.  So look at it closely and see if there are any duplicates as it will not list the version (ACR 6.0)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points