Skip navigation
dorotaamq
Currently Being Moderated

Editing individual 3d elements within 3d layer

Jul 10, 2012 9:33 AM

Tags: #photoshop #help #mac #layers #trial #cs6

I'm just testing out the new CS6 extended version and am on the trial period using a mac.

My problem is in editing the 3d objects I have imported. These were imported in 3ds format and contain numerous different elements (over 50) within the same file. All are neatly to scale and positioned correctly in relation to one another.

I need to be able to edit these individual elements within photoshop and assign different materials.

I can't seem to separate these individual objects onto different layers in order to work with them further. In addition, although I can scale or move the elements, I cannot delete them without deleting the whole layer.

I have tried looking at merge 3D layers but as I only have one layer it doesn't help.

How can I assign these objects to different layers without importing each element separately into photoshop (and therefore losing their scale and position)?

I'm sure there is something simple I'm just missing! Thanks!

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 10, 2012 9:41 AM   in reply to dorotaamq

Hm, that's a good question.

When I've created multiple object extrusions (e.g., 3D text or multiple shapes from a Work Path), I've been able to use the 3D - Split Extrusion menu, and it splits things into multiple meshes in a group.  I take it the Split Extrusion menu isn't available in your case?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 10, 2012 9:58 AM   in reply to dorotaamq

I just imported an OBJ file into my Photoshop 3D layer and I found no options allowing me to choose elements to import seperately. Noel's answer may be your best bet!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 11:14 AM   in reply to dorotaamq

Hi,

If you are able to scale and move individual elements, but any material change affects all the elements then you'll likely need to take the model back to a full 3D editor. The UV mapping (and thus how materials are applied to a model) is not something that Ps has a good solution for currently.

Photoshop won't delete individual meshes (or objects in a scene), but you can hide them using the 3D panel. Assigning elements to separate layers is not going to help, as that puts each into its own scene (they lighting/shadows, and reflectins won't interact). Merging 3D layers is the way to bring separate scenes together, so they can share a single environment.

Splitting Extrusions is only an available option for 3D Extrusions created within Ps, so this won't help in your importing case either.

If you have a sample file, or pointer to the 3ds source file I can take a look at it.

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 10, 2012 11:20 AM   in reply to SG...

Thanks for clarifying that, Steve.  I haven't had that much experience with 3D yet, so didn't know the applicability of that feature.  But I'm learning (and loving it)!

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 3:53 AM   in reply to dorotaamq

Downloasd Blender, which is free, and split the mesh there/ assign separate materials to the polygon groups.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 12:12 AM   in reply to dorotaamq

Hi Sarah,

I'll send you a private message so we can arrange the file exchange.

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points