Skip navigation

InDesign CS3 crashes when printing in OSX Lion

Jul 20, 2011 9:20 AM

Latest reply: TeddyBoy, Feb 9, 2014 10:25 AM
Replies 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 16, 2011 6:33 AM   in reply to AIsolve

Hi Everyone

For those of you still having problems with older versions of InDesign and other older applications  (eg. crashing etc with Lion)

I just wanted to let you all know that Adobe is now offering monthly "subscriptions" to InDesign 5.5 for those who may want to obtain the latest version but don't have the budget right now to buy full out. I believe the cost is from $35 - 49 per month and the entire Creative Suite is available by subscription as well.

This might be worthwhile for some of you.

Just check out the Adobe website.

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/cssubscription.html?promoi d=ITKJK

Take care and have a wonderful day.

Veronica

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2011 8:44 PM   in reply to VeronicaHay

the entire Creative Suite is available by subscription as well.

Hmm... No muss No fuss. This is a worthwhile offer to consider. I think  it works out to be cheaper to pay for the Suite outright if you use it often, but for a single app, it might be cheaper in the long run, expecially if you don't use it much. I run them every day,

Thanks Veronica.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2011 10:33 AM   in reply to Saskatchewanobie

Finally, and thought I should post it here as one final conclusion, for my part anyway, I called Adobe and received assurance that CS5.5 does indeed work with Lion OSX 10.7. The solution then was to simply upgrade to CS5.5, which I have done. Issue resolved. Note that I did not do this until trying the 'fixes' in this thread and seeing that the 'fixes' do work, but for me, only until I restart the computer, then they are lost and have to be reinstituted. The simple answer for me was to upgrade to CS5.5.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2011 12:25 PM   in reply to AIsolve

This worked for me also!  Great Job... THANK YOU SO MUCH... I was getting sooo frazzled... you are amazing!  Thanks again... :L)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2011 5:38 AM   in reply to AIsolve

Thank you, AIsolve!!! This fix works. I'm now able to print now from InDesign CS3 Peronaly I have a problem whit CS5 I find this gething to bulky for Graphic Design only... meaning I don't need all the stuff. Maiby a idea for Adobe to provide two options

Regards!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2011 8:37 PM   in reply to Roberto-art

THANKS MILLIONS EVERYONE!  Uh, art director here.  CS3, 4, and 5 all installed on my MacBook Pro, then this happened - in the middle of a 3-deadlines-in-two-days kind of week! 

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2011 9:32 AM   in reply to AIsolve

Thanks, Alsolve – 10.7.1 with InDesign CS3 wasn't printing. Now it is!

I appreciate your taking the time to post this. Thanks, again :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2011 10:52 AM   in reply to calebweeks

does anyone know how to get them from coming back? the files keep re appearing

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2011 5:30 PM   in reply to Dale Stebbins

The PPD delete thing worked for me as well...I wasn't able to print from illustrator for awhile. Have since deleted all the PPDs mentioned previously in the posts. I am running 10.7.2 and CS3 for Ai and CS5 for DW and so far so good. Thanks again for the diligence and follow-ups very grateful.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2011 9:04 AM   in reply to MikespWelsh

I too had trouble printing from Ai but I removed PPDs listed above (though not the PPD plugins) and all's well. Thank you Alsolve!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2011 8:33 AM   in reply to Dale Stebbins

Solution

The following workaround can be applied to get these older versions of Illustrator and InDesign to print on this newer operating system. Remove the following files and back them up:

[Hard Drive]/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/en.lproj
    [Hard Drive]/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/Zh_CN.lproj
    [Hard Drive]/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/Ja.lproj
    [Hard Drive]/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/ko.lproj
    [Hard Drive]/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/Zh_TW.lproj

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2011 1:07 PM   in reply to AIsolve

Thank you SO much. It's working again

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2011 11:48 AM   in reply to jayshells17

I have tried this and it worked right after I deleted those files, but it quit working. I checked to see if somehow they were resurrected, but they were still gone. Now I have to create a pdf from my original if I want to print it.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2011 9:01 AM   in reply to AIsolve

Hi Alsolve,

thank you so much! Your advice saved my work and my nervs. How did you know about that?

Sincerely, Thomas Mank

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2011 2:00 PM   in reply to AIsolve

Alsolve -- your solution is still out there doing good in the world. Thank you!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2011 3:56 PM   in reply to AIsolve

Alsolve,
    Removing those files did it for my CS3. Printing as normal now. I had removed my InDesign preferences from the user library, but put it on my desktop rather than in the trash. Since removing it didn't solve the problem, I knew I'd want my old prefs back.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2011 3:23 PM   in reply to AIsolve

Thank-you. Thank-you. Alsolve is very well-named! Thank-you. Worked perfectly. Ditched a bunch of other printers while in there, too.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 8:50 AM   in reply to AIsolve

Asolve, you're the best! Just removed those bad PPD's and as I hit the cmd-p, a big smile came to my face. Have a nice day!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2012 12:19 PM   in reply to jayshells17

That solution originally worked for me — like a charm, in fact!

But then the next time I tried to create a PDF with Adobe Acrobat Professional 8, the program told me I had missing printer profiles, and then added those back in.  I had InDesign open at the time and then could still print. But once I closed InDesign and then reopened, I was back to the same problem.

Anyone experience this as well or have any ideas so that I don't have to go through that process each time I want to print?

Thanks in advance!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2012 1:05 PM   in reply to Dale Stebbins

I have the same problem as strude99. It worked great at first,but the next time I opened any of my CS3 programs I was back to the same problem. I can't even fix my Adobe pro 'cause I purchased it online so I can't reload it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2012 1:37 PM   in reply to SusanPugh

SusanPugh wrote:

I can't even fix my Adobe pro 'cause I purchased it online so I can't reload it.

You didn't save a backup copy of the downloaded installer? Shame on you.

You might be able to get the trial version here: Download Adobe CS4 and CS3 Free Trials Here (incl. After Effects) | ProDesignTools

Follow the direction on that page very carefully. It's been a while, but I think even in CS3 you can convert the trial to a regular version by entering your serial number. Do you have that? If you registered, you should be able to recover the s/n from your account at Adobe.com.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2012 1:38 PM   in reply to SusanPugh

Somehow I think I might have fixed it on my MBP.

I deleted the CS3 Acrobat and installed a stand-alone Acrobat Professional 8 that I had. During install it asked if I wanted to add some extras used for printing PDFs from any program. I said no to that, ran the program and then tried InDesign.

ID still crashed on printing. I went back to Acrobat and some how got a message (I'm not sure how I got there) asking me if I wanted to install or uninstall some printer drivers. I said no to the install and unchecked the box for an MSOffice PDF toolbar (to uninstall that).

So I removed the noted PPDs again, and opened Acrobat and I didn't get any complaints from Acrobat this time! And now ID is printing, too.

Not sure if this will help anyone, but so far, it seems to have solved my ID printing issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2012 7:06 PM   in reply to strudel99

I think I figured out some things. After I got Acrobat reinstalled, I went to "Repair Installation" and made sure that everything was unchecked. Now I've got Acrobat Professional 8.3.1 and CS3 running under Lion and I'm able to print from InDesign without it crashing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 8:41 AM   in reply to AIsolve

I looked at the other threads, and nothing was able to help me fix this issue.

This is the error message I receive: http://pastebin.com/wdLUbfav

I just got a new computer with Lion, and migrated my old PowerPC to it. I have reinstalled the entire cretive suite already. Photoshop does not have this problem. Illustrator does. I followed this: http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/crash-printing-illustrator-in design-cs3.html but it did not resolve the issue. I have Java Runtime installed.

Not sure what to do. All help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 8:50 AM   in reply to tacologic

Start by updating inDesign to at least 6.0.5 (6.0.6 was the last patch, but it canges the way Illustrator documents are updated if you edit the links, so you may not want to install that one if you have a lot of files with Illy art placed in them).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 9:22 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I tried running Adobe Updater, and it told me that I needed to download the new version. I did, and it downloads the updater, then tries updating again, and then tells me to download the new updater again. Every time I try, the problem loops.

So I went on to Adobe's website and downloaded/installed it manually. I'm up to 6.0.5 and when I tried printing, I got this error: http://pastebin.com/hCybtSaq

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 9:43 AM   in reply to tacologic

Looks like the same crash, and it looks like it's either in Apple's code, or a problem with the AGM, which I think stands for Adobe Graphics Manager. John is really the man when it comes to interpreting these, though.

Can you print half the pages at once? Can you print from a new user?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 9:59 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I created a new user and printed successfully. I went back to the old user account, tried to print, and it was successful. This doesn't make much sense to me, but I'm glad it works.

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 10:01 AM   in reply to tacologic

Makes no sense to me, either...

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 5, 2012 1:05 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

(Isn't this one a candidate for branching?)

tacologic, in general it's best to ask questions like this in a new thread.

Anyhow:

Yes, this is a crash I think we've seen before that we don't understand. it relates to the AdobeAGM library asking the operating system to do something with an invalid file path. It might be a result of permissions problems on Library directories, but it could be something else much more far-fetched. AdobeAGM is related to printing and interfaces with a number of other subcomponents and has its fingers in a lot of different pies.

It is certainly peculiar that switching accounts fixed the problem in the original account. Did you use Fast User Switching or did you actually log out? If the latter, then perhaps it was merely the act of logging out that cleared up some temporary state that was causing a problem for AdobeAGM.

Not sure what to say. It's probably not worth spending too-too much time trying to diagnose problems in CS4 if they have fixed themselves...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 1:13 PM   in reply to John Hawkinson

I replied in the thread because I saw that other people had similar problems, and they were instructed to this thread.

I actually logged out after switching, but I had logged out several times (as well as restarting). But yeah, I'm not going to worry about it. Just happy it's fixed.

Thanks again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 1:35 PM   in reply to John Hawkinson

The problem recurred again. Not sure why. The strange "fix" that worked last time didn't work a second time.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 6:08 AM   in reply to AIsolve

thanks for this. it's taken me some time to find the answer but that allowed cs3 to print using lion (10.7.4) can't update illustratoor though... nut it now prints

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 7:47 AM   in reply to Dale Stebbins

I don't have those folders...and I definitely looking in the right place. I am in HD... then library...then printers...etc... I get to that folder, and there is nothing in it. PLEASE HELP! I just upgraded to MACBook Pro with Lion, and I am very upset.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 8:21 AM   in reply to KimberlyPek

KimberlyPek wrote:

I don't have those folders...and I definitely looking in the right place.

Which folders? Are you sure you are inthe right place? ~/Library is your user library, and it's hidden by default on Lion. Hold down the Opt key when you click Go To and it should appear.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 8:32 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Yes. I made it appear. Then I go all the way down to where the PDF PPDs should be, and there isn't anything in the PPD folder.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 8:47 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Yes. I made it appear. Then I go all the way down to where the PDF PPDs should be, and there isn't anything in the PPD folder.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 8:59 AM   in reply to KimberlyPek

I'm not sure what the PDF PPD has to do with crashing while printing. I think you should start a new topic and give full details about what you are trying to do. Print to PDF was removed by Apple in Snow Leopard, if that's what you want.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 9:10 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Sorry. I should have been more specific. Everyone stated that the solution would be to remove these files..see below. I got all the way to the folder "contents," and then there isn't anything in that file to remove.

1. 33.AIsolve,

Jul 26, 2011 6:31 AM   in reply to Dale Stebbins

To avoid this crash  try this workaround.

remove adobe PDF PPD from the following folders:

OS/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/en.lproj,

OS/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/Zh_CN.lproj,

OS/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/Ja.lproj,

OS/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/ko.lproj,

OS/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/Zh_TW.lproj,

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 10:36 AM   in reply to KimberlyPek

Then you may well have a different problem.

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points