Skip navigation

InDesign CS5 Crashes with Warning Dialog Box

Jun 15, 2012 3:36 PM

Latest reply: richardkeenanco, Aug 30, 2012 7:48 PM
Replies 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 6, 2012 2:29 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

And for those considering going back to CS4, .idml files exported from any version of ID from CS4 to CS6 SHOULD open in CS4, but there will most likely not be a perfect translation. Any features used inthe file that are newer than CS4 will be lost entirely (span/split columns, for example, or alternate layouts), and differnces inthe text engines from version to version make it very likely that ther will be differnces in how the text flows, withteh potential for diffent line endings and overset text in long docs, particularly.

The big exception to successful back-porting to CS4 is if you've placed pages from a newer file in the document. Those don't get converted during the export, so will need to have their own conmversions, and will prevent the file from opening when checking links. If you are currently suffering from crashes, I don't know if you will be able to successfully do your own exports.

I've pretty much said what I though needed to be said, so I'll probably not post in this thread again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2012 3:00 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Hi all,

Just to let everybody know, CS4 HAS EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM.

I have a new MacBook Pro (non-retina) running 10.7.4 and I'm using CS4

and exactly the same thing is happening for me. I'm getting round it by

using one of the other PDF presets to export from InDesign (High Quality

Print seems to work fine), then converting to the spec I want directly

in Acrobat.

Can I respectfully suggest that we all move on from insulting and

shouting at each other please? Adobe are obviously aware of this and

working on it. We have no choice but to sit tight and see what they come

up with. I would suggest that we let them get on with it, then ask

questions and point fingers later.

I am hopeful they will sort it out soon enough.

And then of course there is Mountain Lion to worry about... Lets hope

this doesn't happen again then...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2012 5:08 PM   in reply to Scott Worthington

Anxious to hear any updates ASAP. This is a huge issue, and I'm weary of re-installing because it seems that breaks other things and I have bootcamp and other complex setups it might mess up.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2012 12:20 AM   in reply to camzaman

This is only temporary fix but it works to some extent:

- Work with other MacBook OS 10.7.3 or older

- Show warning dialog boxes (delete page, relink, overflow text, etc) on purpose and check "Don't show again"

- Copy InDesign preference file to New Macbook OS 10.7.4

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 11:33 AM   in reply to Subi Omu

Adobe!

Is ist possible to give such a modified Preference-File for all Costumers having problems?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 6:35 PM   in reply to izmalakoff

Izmalakoff--

Yes, your solution works! Thanks so much!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 8:12 PM   in reply to FelixTheCrack

Yeah, if this preference thing were valid, why hasn't it been implemented already? And I'm not switching to an older version of Lion if it has the same drawbacks described earlier.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 8:41 AM   in reply to Subi Omu

Does anyone have a modified indesign preference file they are willing to share?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 11:32 AM   in reply to Subi Omu

That might be a good solution, thanks…

I have the same problem here with a 2012 MacBook Air running CS6.

I needed to synchronize a book and it crashed when the alert dialog appeared, just as everybody here.

They are not aware of the problem at Adobe Support France…

You can also use Applescript on mac to export your PDF and it works ('cause it doesn't show any dialog box), but it's a weird workaround since it requires knowlegde with Applescript…

Something like :

tell application "adobe Indesign CS6"

set properties of PDF export preferences to newProps

export document 1 format PDF type to yourPath without showing options

end tell

If somebody knows how to synchronize a book with Applescript without showing any dialog box, please let me know.

Cheers from France.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 5:56 PM   in reply to arminvit

I just wanted to add a "me too" ... I got my new rMBP and InDesign is crashing in all the situations everyone else has mentioned. At least I can export PDFs as "high quality print" without a crash. But this issue has cost me a lot of time, and I've got deadlines rapidly approaching.

I've read through the whole thread but may have missed it.... does the solution of restoring back to 10.7.3 work for the rMBP? If anyone else has already tried it, I'd like to hear about it before I take that step.

Thanks in advance!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 2:09 AM   in reply to UnstrungHarp

@unstrungharp, it seems to be impossible to revert back to 10.7.3 on a RMBP so I guess you're stuck right now. Let's just hope Adobe and Apple realise the seriousness of the problem and get this solved quickly.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 4:40 AM   in reply to gvit1896

Hi again. I also have a MacBook Pro early 2011 with 10.7.4 and CS6 and everything is fine. So the problem only appears with the 2012 MacBook Air and MacBook Pro Retina.

I made a new InDesign preferences file reset to default on my 2011 MacBook Pro . Then I checked the "don't show again" box in alert dialogs that cause problems in exporting, packaging, deleting pages and synchronizing a book.

You can download it here :

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8980230/InDesign_Defaults.zip

Then install it on your mac here (sorry, I don't know the path for windows) :

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/

Search for a file named "Indesign Defaults" and replace it with this one.

Don't forget that your preferences are back to defaults, except for these dialogs boxes, so you'll have to restore your preferences !!

Let me know if it works and if you get other crashes.

I can make a new "Indesign Defaults" file if you explain me in which menu you get a crash.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 4:58 AM   in reply to alitaliano

This is great!  Except, I'm running CS5 and the preference file resets when installing a preference file from a different version.  Can someone do this for CS5?  And CS5.5 for the 5.5 people?

Seems hilarious that this would be the fix and Adobe has been dragging their heels all this time without even offering this patch.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 5:03 AM   in reply to alitaliano

@pure&simple, Thanks for letting me know - I won't waste time trying that solution, then!

@alexdauchez, I still experienced a crash even after using the new InDesign Defaults file. It happened when I was relinking a missing image. It also happened when I attempted to create a package, but as has been mentioned in this thread previously, if I don't include fonts, the crash doesn't happen. The good news is, I was able to successfully export a PDF with the "smallest file size" settings! So, that is certainly an improvement, and I thank you very much for the assistance.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 5:05 AM   in reply to UnstrungHarp

AHHHH!!!  ADOBE HAS TO FIX THIS!!!!

I'm happy to be able to export a small PDF, but if I can't relink files, it's impossible to do anything.  Come on Adobe.  It's been three weeks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 5:05 AM   in reply to UnstrungHarp

I just read muthafusco's post - I am running 5.5 and didn't realize the preferences file was for another version! I don't know why the "smallest file size" PDF export suddenly worked, then.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 5:07 AM   in reply to UnstrungHarp

Yes, the smallest PDF export worked for me too for the first time.  But, I crashed when I tried to package a file which made me think it had to do with the version.  I guess not!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 5:16 AM   in reply to UnstrungHarp

It happened when I was relinking a missing image.

Hey UnstrungHarp,

I couldn't get any alert dialog and so reproduce the crash your experimented.

If I relink a file that is missing using the "Links" panel, no alert dialog appear.

Are you on CS6 and can you tell me how you get the crash (which actions, menus…) ?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 5:23 AM   in reply to alitaliano

Hi alexdauchez,

Unfortunately, I'm using 5.5 so that may have something to do with it. I was relinking a file from the Links panel (clicking the "chain" button), and that's when the crash occurred (the blank "warning" box appeared momentarily followed by the crash).

For anyone else experiencing crashes in this situation, at least there is one basic workaround. I'm sure it's blindingly obvious, but just select the image you want to relink and choose File/Place (or command-D), making sure the option to "Replace Selected Item" is checked. That isn't very efficient when you need to relink a ton of images that would normally happen automatically when using the Links panel, but at least it gets us working again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 5:56 AM   in reply to UnstrungHarp

The InDesign Defaults file is usually pretty stable going from version to version (thought I'm not certain what happens when there are prefs that existin in one version but not another). I've had no trouble using the same file here on CS5, 5.5 and 6. I think the packaging crash is probably due to the default warning about font licensing, and perhaps someone would make a copy of the prefs after checking the "don't show this warning again" box for that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 6:00 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Peter Spier wrote:

[...] and perhaps someone would make a copy of the prefs after checking the "don't show this warning again" box for that.

Hi Peter,

that's actually what I made in the file above. I remember I checked that box when I got the warning about font licensing.

So there may be another problem…

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 6:24 AM   in reply to alitaliano

It seems to me that most of the crashing, regardless of CS level, is occurring on newer laptops and Air machines.

We purchased two brand new 27" Desktop machines last December and installed CS 5.5. Everything ran like a dream! Then in May, both machines were updated with CS6. On one machine (mine), InDesign crashes several times per day (lost several hours of work yesterday), even though by habit I turn off all dialogue boxes (via checkboxes). I'm lucky if I can export to PDF and have Acrobat not crash more than 80% of the time upon PDF creation or opening PDFs. Both machines are running the Lion software.

My question is if both machines are virtually identical (and both designers are similar in program usage), why so many problems on my machine & not the other?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 6:57 AM   in reply to alitaliano

Hi again. I also have a MacBook Pro early 2011 with 10.7.4 and CS6 and everything is fine. So the problem only appears with the 2012 MacBook Air and MacBook Pro Retina.

I made a new InDesign preferences file reset to default on my 2011 MacBook Pro . Then I checked the "don't show again" box in alertdialogs that cause problems in exporting, packaging, deleting pages and synchronizing a book.

You can download it here :

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8980230/InDesign_Defaults.zip

Then install it on your mac here (sorry, I don't know the path for windows) :

Search for a file named "Indesign Defaults" and replace it with this one.

Don't forget that your preferences are back to defaults, except for these dialogs boxes, so you'll have to restore your preferences !!

Let me know if it works and if you get other crashes.

I can make a new "Indesign Defaults" file if you explain me in which menu you get a crash.

I updated the "Indesign Defaults" file to download (see above). You can know ungroup a group on which effects are applied to.

When ungroupping objects, the warning box appears and let you know that ungroupping "breaks" the effects applied.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 7:23 AM   in reply to alitaliano

Thanks, Alex, for all your helpfulness. I have more issues though. First, on my week-old RMBP, with Lion, the system is not set up as previously. I have no  /Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/

I have only the computer name/Library/Prefernces and in there are no Adobe prefs whatsoever. I have searched for them using all manner of combinations, but i can't find the damn things.

In addition, i still cannot even Launch inDesign (5.5 btw) - crashes on start-up. I would LOVE to replace the prefs and see if that will fix it (sounds like it might... hoping). BUt where are they?? Can anyone help?

If this doesn't do it, i wiil try reinstalling InDesign... does anyone know if i can just reinstall one part of CS5.5?

this whole thing is killing me. thanks, all, for thoughts, ideas, suggestions. And Adobe?? I'd sure love to thank you, too... when will I be able to?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 7:30 AM   in reply to margvt

margvt, I suspect you do have a Library folder in your user account -- it's just hidden by default in Lion.

To view the folder, open Finder. Then hold down the Option key when you select the Go menu; Library should now appear as one of the options. If you select Library, a new Finder window will open showing you the Library folder, and from there you should be able to navigate as usual.

Macworld has a good overview of this situation, including instructions on how to make it permanently visible (if you want to do that).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 7:34 AM   in reply to MargaretAMartin

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 7:45 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Thanks Peter, for the other discussion. 

Alex - is this the file I need to replace?  "com.adobe.InDesign.7.5.plist"   It's the only one I can find that has anything to do with InDesign.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 9:27 AM   in reply to MargaretAMartin

Thanks, MargaretAMartin, I must have been absent that day when they announced all these hidden things. It's great to know about it. Unfortunately, it does not seem to have helped I tried removing the indesign prefs and it din't change anything. I am suspecting a plug-in (of which there are 233!) since the crash occurs right when it says initializing plug-ins...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 9:29 AM   in reply to Stephanie USF

No, you have to find the file named "Indesign Defaults".

Just replace "YourUserName" in 

with your user name (mine is "alex" for example).

If your user name (actually the name of your home folder) is Stephanie, il would be :

/Users/Stephanie/Library/Preferences/

then go into the Finder and keystroke command + shift + G.

A window appears in which you hit this path.

You then will find a folder named "Adobe InDesign". Go a little bit further in the sub-folders until you reach the "Indesign Defaults" file.

Quit Indesign, trash this actual file and replace it with the one you downloaded.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 10:28 AM   in reply to alitaliano

Alex, I'm still not finding this folder. As you can see here in Pic 1, I don't have a Library Preferences folder under my username. In Pic 2 the Library is under the HD and when I open the prefs folder, there's no InDesign folder. Am I in the wrong place?

Screen.png

Screen2.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 10:32 AM   in reply to Stephanie USF

Since your user name is stephanie53 and not Stephanie that's why it's not finding the folder.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 10:38 AM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

Thanks Larry, didn't think of that... It still didn't find it

Screen3.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 10:51 AM   in reply to margvt

margvt wrote:

the crash occurs right when it says initializing plug-ins...

Sounds like it might be SING. Can you post your crash report to pastebin.com and put a link here?

You might want to take a look at SING Removal, too.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 11:08 AM   in reply to Stephanie USF

Lowercase s in the user name.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 11:34 AM   in reply to Stephanie USF

See post 104. You have a Library folder - it is just hidden.

"To view the folder, open Finder. Then hold down the Option key when you select the Go menu; Library should now appear as one of the options. If you select Library, a new Finder window will open showing you the Library folder, and from there you should be able to navigate as usual."

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 11:42 AM   in reply to alitaliano

Of course, I've been experiencing the same problems. I just purchased a new MacBookPro (non-retina) running Lion. I'm using CS 5.0.  Although I have been able to produce high resolution PDFs without any problems. Any warning dialog box will quit InDesign. I tried using the new defaults file, but I get this warning when relaunching InDesign (see image). So, that's not working for me. The defaults will have to be reset by the same version. Now ALL my warning dialog boxes are set to show.  It would be nice if Adobe would allow a checkbox to turn off all Warning Dialog boxes. They do allow for all of them to reset to "on" in the preferences. What about the opposite?  Thanks all for the advice so far.Screen Shot 2012-07-10 at 1.31.10 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 12:40 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Perfect, Peter, thank you! My InDesign is working now! I had to do the second option on that page, but then it opened like a charm upon remvoning the MarkII folder. Might this be helpful to others, even though their problems are different? It is a huge, tremendous relief to me to have it working now.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 5:39 PM   in reply to arminvit

My work around to export to PDF Smallest File Size was to set output to "No Color Conversion".  Geez.  Took me all day to find the work around.  Basically, you have to avoid any warning boxes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 8:21 PM   in reply to JenniferT

I need the preferences for 5.5. I get the same error.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 5:21 AM   in reply to KimberlyPek

I replaced the preference file from the download link above and it did work, I can now package a file which restores some sanity as I hate  have files scattered all over the place.

Hopefully Adobe gets a proper fix for this, I have no option of going back as I am on a RMBP.

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (6)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points