Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Chapter Markers do not stick when encoding to H.264

Jul 10, 2012 8:21 AM

Tags: #will #not #chapter #h.264 #blue #in #to #pp #encore #encoding #setup #markers #when #stick #ray

Hello,

I like to use Encore chapter markers inside of PP, then when I export the media it already has them when the encoded media loads into Encore.

This always worked fine in CS5.5.

Now with CS6, the Encore chapter markers that I set in PP will not stick when encoding to Blue Ray h.264.  They do stick when encoding to DVD Mpeg2. 

If I bring the DVD mpeg2 file into ENCORE, the chapter markers are there from PP.

If I bring in the Blue Ray h.264 file into ENCORE, the chapter markers have vanished, they are no longer there.

I have filed a bug report on this because CS5.5 didn't have this issue.

Just FYI...Encore charpter markers setup in PP will not stick if you export the media using Media Encoder, using the Blue Ray h.264 codec.

If you later take that encoded file into ENCORE, the chapter markers will n ot be there.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 10, 2012 9:30 AM   in reply to CAOLSEN

I have been doing the same thing and don't notice this problem. For a test I just tried it both ways -- DL the sequence to an Encore Blu-ray project, and use AME to transcode the same sequence to H.264 Blu-ray (HD 1080i 29.97). In both cases the chapters show up the same in Encore.

I'm on win7

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 9:39 AM   in reply to Jerry Klaimon

In Encore, are you using "Import as Timeline" and grabbing the video and audio together? If you just "Import as Asset" then you do not get markers.

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 9:57 AM   in reply to CAOLSEN

Behavior duplicated on my end - DVD works, Blu-ray does not, even though the .xmpses file is there in both cases.

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 10:52 AM   in reply to SAFEHARBOR11

I tried it a little differently

Brought in the video as an asset, and then linked it to a button -- chapters still show up.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 11:06 AM   in reply to Jerry Klaimon

I get Jeff's results. Chapters do not come in with H.264-Bluray (tried 23.976 and  29.97); no problem with MPEG2-Bluray.

No difference exporting directly or through AME.

Interesting; m2v sends them through the xmp file? m4v only uses xmpses?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 11:16 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

No problem importing m4v asset with markers.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

m2v sends them through the xmp file? m4v only uses xmpses?

No, the .xmpses file has always contained the chapter info.  The .xmp file is for something else.

I do get chapters with H.264 both when importing as an asset or as a timeline.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 12:51 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

I'm on a laptop without the 6.0.1 update. Jeff, you have the update? Something is odd!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 1:06 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

Workstation with 6.0.1 for both Premiere and Encore

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 3:10 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim

same here as Caolsen, encode as H264 Bluray, import as asset or timeline in encore >> no chapter markers

export as Mpg2 DVD, import in Encore >> the chapter markers are there.

from PP H264 footage to export to Encore, here my chapter markers show up.

But I have 3 timelines sometimes four timelines that I want to export to the same Encore project, but each time it creates a new project.

I had in the last 2 weeks four Bluray projects and each time I had to set my chapter markers anew in Encore, that is of course not convenient and wasn't a problem in CS5

Maybe if you use to encode as H264 and not as H264 Bluray your markers show up?

Martin

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 3:39 AM   in reply to thanmartin

I have just created a H264 Bluray file from a EX sequence with 11 chapter markers. When imported into Encore using 'import as timeline' I now have 12 chapters all in the wrong place. I have tried twice to create the file (7 hours each time) with the same results.

Richard Knight

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 6:12 AM   in reply to thanmartin

But I have 3 timelines sometimes four timelines that I want to export to the same Encore project, but each time it creates a new project.

Open the Encore project you want to add a sequence to. File -> Adobe Dynamic Link and select the same or a different PR project and the next sequence you want.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 6:15 AM   in reply to Richard M Knight

When imported into Encore using 'import as timeline' I now have 12 chapters all in the wrong place.

There have been other reports on the Encore forum of odd results in importing chapters: random locations or too many or too few. I don't think the cause has been identified.

Richard, you are always getting some kind of chapters?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 8:23 AM   in reply to thanmartin

encode as H264 Bluray, import as asset or timeline in encore >> no chapter markers

You guys are entering something in the Name field of the marker, yes?

Maybe if you use to encode as H264 and not as H264 Bluray your markers show up?

Nope, used the Blu-ray setting and it works fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 8:50 AM   in reply to CAOLSEN

No.  I never have.  I am simply seperating music titles and their is no need to 'name' them.

My clients just want the ability to skip to the next song.

Well, name them and you and your clients will be happy!

Jim, that is it. CS5? 5.5? we thought ended the need to do that, and the mpeg2 export makes it look like it shouldn't be necessary. But the h264bd export won't bring the markers in unless the encore marker is named.

Help does not mention this, even though it does make the caution for flash cues.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 8:56 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

I always name the markers and have not had any trouble with Bluray or DVD in CS5.5. The wrong chapter points I am getting in CS 6.01 are always in the same wrong place.

RMK

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 9:00 AM   in reply to Richard M Knight

That's probably a separate issue, Richard.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 8:53 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim

yesterday did a test, all encoded MP4 if you have chaptermarkers reimport with the chaptermarkers!

That means encode HD as H264 >> your chaptermarkers show up if you reimport in PP and Encore

Encode HD as H264 Bluray >> none of your chapter markers show up if you reimport in PP and Encore

But just like Caolsen and probably many others I never named my chapter markers and I did not need it in CS5

So I will try it out.

But anybody knows why my markers show not up in the marker window. when I put them into a sequence.

Before update 6.01 it showed.

Mark a clip in source monitor.

drag into sequence >> you see the clipmarkers and they do snap

oben marker windows of sequence and you do not have any markers to go to.

So what is the use of using source monitor to mark my clips, if I cannot jump or navigate to them in the timeline.

So the only function seems to be: snap to

However:

create sequence, drag some clips, add timeline markers

now add this sequence to a new sequence >> common workflow << or nested sequence

You see the markers of the first sequence as clipmarkers >> but you cannot snap to

Anybody has an idea and maybe this topic is discussed somewhere else

thanks Martin

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points