Skip navigation
morse_tom
Currently Being Moderated

PSD spot channel is knocking out in InDesign?

Jul 10, 2012 8:50 AM

Tags: #indesign #spot #channel #overprint #knockout

Hi,

I'm having an issue with a PSD file and can't work out whether I'm just missing something obvious, or if this is an Issue?

Basically, I have a PSD with a spot channel over solid and transparent areas of a layered, CMYK PSD file.

When it's imported into InDesign the spot knocks out all the transparent areas of the image, but is overprinting fine on the solid areas.

Its fine and dandy in Photoshop as far as I can tell... But can't for the life of me working out why its not overprinting all over! And this is affecting many files on a Book Cover.

I didn't set it up but its my job to fix.. thats the easy bit. I've worked around it.. But I need to know why this is not working as I'd expect.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 10, 2012 9:03 AM   in reply to morse_tom

Can you show us a screen cap?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 10:48 AM   in reply to morse_tom

I don't have an explanation for you, I'm afraid. It's odd, though, that it appears to be overprinting the area of the wing that crosses the hair, but not where it crosses the background.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 10:59 AM   in reply to morse_tom

This is normal spot color behavior of a psd file (with spot channels) placed into ID. The spot channel will have an overprint effect over internal photoshop data, but not indesign elements.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 11:06 AM   in reply to Jeffrey_Smith

I dunno, Jeffrey....

It doesn't look to me as if it's overprinting the native Photoshop in most places. Might need to remove the background to tell though...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 11:54 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

It doesn't look to me as if it's overprinting the native Photoshop in most places.

Right, in the areas where the opacity of the photoshop image is less than 100% (i.e. the white glow fading to 0% opacity) the spot appears as though it is knocking out. Look at the spot channel over the ponytail and purple dot, the opacity in this area is 100%. And the spot channel overprints this native photoshop art.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 12:57 PM   in reply to Jeffrey_Smith

Well that's not quite the same as what you said previously...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 2:09 PM   in reply to morse_tom

With the same components (psd w-spot channel placed in ID) I can reproduce the same undesired results as you.

The spot channel phenomenon has the same outcome as layer transparency within a psd file placed in ID... It just kinda works.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 3:13 AM   in reply to morse_tom

What happens if you save as Photoshop PDF instead of .psd?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 6:24 AM   in reply to morse_tom

Change the extension to .pdp and ID will know to open in Photoshop when you use edit originial (and the OS can be told). Photoshop PDF preserves a lot of iinformation that gets flattened or rasterized when ID places a .psd (vectors, and most blend modes are lost when placing .psd, or example).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 7:55 AM   in reply to morse_tom

The only reason to use PDP is so that you can use edit original to edit the file. Otherwise you can safely leave PDF as the extension and use edit with if you need to edit the file and have it open in Photoshop.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 8:15 AM   in reply to morse_tom

If you think PDP should be the default, then file a formal feature request here:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

There should be full details on that request and how/why it will benefit users.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 8:26 AM   in reply to morse_tom

459mb vs 644.5mb

A Photoshop PDF can be saved with various image compressions, quality levels, and downsampling for that matter. So you could inadvertently compromise the original quality by saving PDF if you're not careful.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 8:29 AM   in reply to morse_tom

Back to the question of why PDP isn't the default extension when saving PDF from Photoshop, which I think is waht you were asking, rather than why isn't that the default format, I think the answer is that most times when you save a PDF compatible file from Photoshop you actually intend for your readers to see it as a real PDF that they can open in Reader, or so the thinking goes. Not all Photoshop imagery is destined for placement into ID.

If you think there should be a preference in Photoshop for choosing the PDF/PDP default extension, you'll have to take that up with the Photoshop team.

As far as why not make PDF/PDP the default format for saving in Photoshop, I think the answer is largely the same. PSD preserves the same information right up until the point where you place it into ID, and is, I think, the most compact format you can save, and it's a more universally accepted image format, I think, than Photoshop PDF, though I can't say that I've ever heard of a program that would accept placement of PDF that wouldn't accept one made in Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 9:56 AM   in reply to morse_tom

Just out of curiosity... is the spot channel going to print a metallic ink? If it does, I think you would be better off knocking out than overprinting.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points