Skip navigation
imhannahnicole3
Currently Being Moderated

Can I download Lightroom 4 on a new computer?

Jul 10, 2012 11:13 AM

Tags: #lightroom #new #4 #computer #uninstall #deactivate

I just recently purchased Lightroom 4 (online at Adobe's Education store) and have been extremely satisfied with it. However, my computer recently died (it overheats 1-5 times a day and half of the keyboard doesn't work), so I just purchased a MAC. I tried to deactivate LR4 from my previous computer, but couldn't find a way to do so, so I uninstalled it. Can I download LR4 onto my new computer now using my Serial number? As a student, my funds are fairly tight, and after just purchasing a new computer, I don't want to have to buy Lightroom again.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 10, 2012 11:24 AM   in reply to imhannahnicole3

Yes, your serial will work on your new computer. There is no activation/de-activation for LR.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 11:27 AM   in reply to imhannahnicole3

Yep. No problem. Lightroom doesn't activate/deactivate like other Adobe products do. Just download it, apply your serial number, and you'll be good to go. Your serial number is available on your old computer when you run LR. Help->System info...

If you copy all your images in the same folder structure to the Mac and copy your LR catalogue there, then it is a simple thing to reconnect the images to your catalogue. Right-click on the highest folder in the hierarchy (in the Folders panel) and choose Find Missing Folder. Repeat if you have several highest-level folders.

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 11:29 AM   in reply to imhannahnicole3

No need to deactivate, Hannah - Adobe uses an "honour" system with Lightroom rather than any sort of "phone home" activation, so you're fine, and your licence is cross-platform (I'm assuming your old machine was on a Windows platform).

In any event you can have Lr on two machines as long as they're not in use at the same time.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points