Skip navigation
DigitalDave_
Currently Being Moderated

install disappearing from FireFox 11.0 - 4 times a day

Jul 10, 2012 2:18 PM

Tags: #installs #w2000 #dissapearing

Hi,

I need to state first that I am usng w2000 SP5.  This is a clean install, with no mal-ware.  I understand that the OS is not supported.  But, my other computer has a defective motherboard and unable to replace it now.

I am using the last version of Firefoc that was available for w2000, ( ver 11.0 )

I have modified Firefox NOT to UPDATE plugins.  (Because new plugins dont;'t work in W2000.Firefox 11.0)

I have installed the last verson of Flash that works in W2000 also. ( fp_10.1.102.64_and_9.0.289.0_archive )

All works as normal.  No crashes. No issues.

Except, that the install magiclally dissappears as a plugin from FireFox.

It disappears 3 or 4 times a day. Usually after I open Firefox a few hours later.

But, it is still in installed Programs list on computer.

I have been re-installing it everytime, which is VERY annoying.

I have disabled Flash from automatic updates also.

There must be something that is checking to install a new version, and deleting my current install.

But, I can't find it.

I have tried many versions of flash, and all do the same thing.

So, I believe the problem is in FireFox.

I am posting my problem there also.

Please help me.  TIA

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Jul 10, 2012 2:43 PM   in reply to DigitalDave_

It sounds like you might be running into a Windows permission issue, please try the instructions in this FAQ:

How do I fix Windows permission problems with Flash Player?

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Jul 10, 2012 3:53 PM   in reply to DigitalDave_

Odd, the SubInACL application from Microsoft (which is what the batch file calls) says that Win2k should be supported.  When Flash Player disappears, check to see what files are present in your windows\system32\macromed\flash folder.  I'm curious if the files are actually uninstalled.  You might want to compare the contents of this folder when it's working and then again when it's not.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 10, 2012 6:57 PM   in reply to DigitalDave_

DigitalDave_ wrote:

Is this file Ok to download for Windows 2000 pro SP5 ?

Never download DLL files from the Internet; they may not match your installed OS, and just downloading them will not register them properly.

Download and install the Visual C++ redistributable to obtain the missing files: http://download.microsoft.com/download/vc60pro/Update/1/W9XNT4/EN-US/V C6RedistSetup_enu.exe

SubInACL is fully supported on Windows 2000; the folder to check for Flash Player on W2K is C:\WINNT\system32\Macromed\Flash

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 7:31 PM   in reply to DigitalDave_

It is time to give us some more information: what makes you think that Flash Player disappears?  What are the exact symptoms?

Can you still see the Flash animation at http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html - or what do you see instead?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 8:03 PM   in reply to DigitalDave_

DigitalDave_ wrote:

I executed the SubInACL batch file fix.

No errors.

And you reinstalled Flash Player (hopefully using a clean install) after that?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 12:00 AM   in reply to DigitalDave_

DigitalDave_ wrote:

Your support staff should be able to dig up the old un-installer that works for W2K, and leave a link for those who still have working W2K computers.

It is possible to find old uninstaller versions, but they won't work with new Flash Player versions.  Each released uninstaller only works with the current version at the time, and all previous ones, but not with future versions.

This post http://forums.adobe.com/message/4427736#4427736 contains detailed instructions how to change that dll, so that the uninstaller/installer works on Windows 2000.

W2K was a very stable OS, and I have until very recently used it on my laptopc computer.  Hadn't it broken down, I would probably still be using it.  But on the other hand, I would not be able to use more and more software, like the latest Firefox, Google Earth, Picasa, and whatnot.

Developers want to move forward with new technologies, and keeping old technologies in the software will make them unnecessary large, and likely less performant.

PCs have a limited lifespan, and the likelyhood that W2K is still used becomes less and less.  I am sure that XP will continue to be supported by many software vendors for quite some time to come, but even XP will some day fade out.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 12:05 AM   in reply to DigitalDave_

P.S. this topic contains a shorter summary of how to change the W2K DLL: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1012569

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 6:22 PM   in reply to DigitalDave_

I think only one reboot (2.) is required in this sequence.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 6:33 PM   in reply to DigitalDave_

DigitalDave_ wrote:

But, I still have the error code in windows update.

You never mentioned that before.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 6:35 PM   in reply to DigitalDave_

DigitalDave_ wrote:

Was unable to "rollback" to 5.5

I'd say that is good; IE5.5 was the worst version in the history of that browser.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 7:21 PM   in reply to DigitalDave_

I am not sure if somebody will really be able to help you; I don't think anyone of the forum regulars has W2K any more.  As I wrote earlier, I had W2K until a few months ago, but that machine is hopelessly broken, and there is no way I can use it any more.

Still, I am trying as best as I can...

After the plugin disappears again: is that registry entry still there?

As for Java, on my W7 machine I have this entry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=10.5.0]
    "Description"="Oracle® Next Generation Java™ Plug-In"
    "GeckoVersion"="1.9"
    "Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre7\\bin\\plugin2\\npjp2.dll"
    "ProductName"="Oracle® Java™ Plug-In"
    "Vendor"="Oracle Corp."
    "Version"="1.7.0_05"

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 11:19 PM   in reply to DigitalDave_

Just on the sideline: what JRE version do you have installed?  Do you see the Java plugin in Firefox (about:plugins)?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 6:12 PM   in reply to DigitalDave_

Good - you got one serious step closer to resolving this mystery!

What I would do in your case was to run Process Monitor.  But I just saw that it says Win XP and higher.  Google for process monitor old version and you may be able to find a version that runs on W2K.

Run it until that reg entry disappears again, and you should be able to search and find what process did it.  Note that if you need to run procmon for several hours, the output may be VERY large.  And since we don't know what process does it, we cannot apply any filters.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 9:03 PM   in reply to DigitalDave_

ProcMon is a very useful tool, but it monitors EVERYTHING on your system, so if no filtering can be applied, the output will be extremely large.

But I think it will be worthwhile to solve that mystery!  We simply cannot have disappearing registry keys...

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)