Skip navigation
csiu425
Currently Being Moderated

Arabic page numbers turning to Roman numerals when exporting to PDF

Jul 10, 2012 11:31 AM

Hi all,

I have a bit of a perplexing InDesign issue here. I'm working with a book file, where I have a few roman numeral pages (say 20) and then the rest of the book is in regular Arabic numerals (say 100). It looks perfectly fine when I look at it in InDesign.

When I export to PDF, the page numbers also look fine on the actual pages, but I get an issue in the page navigation box in Acrobat (the space where you can enter in the page number that you want to jump to). For example, page 1 in my book appears as page xxi in the Acrobat toolbar.

I know it doesn't affect the printed pages at all, but my colleague uses that Acrobat page number field a lot and obviously doesn't want make a mistake because of this issue. Has anyone encountered something like this? The roman numeral issue goes until the end of chapter 1, and then chapter 2 appears with its correct Arabic numeral, and I really can't think of anything I might have done to get chapter 1 to act differently.

Many thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 10, 2012 11:54 PM   in reply to csiu425

That's not what I get. I can type 27 into the Go to Page ?? field, and it goes to the page that's numbered as 27, rather than the 27th page of the PDF, which would be 7 in your case. If I want to go to the 7th page, I have to type in VII.

What versions are you using?

1. InDesign
    2. Acrobat
    3. OS

Are you exporting to PDF or printing to PostScript and distilling? What PDF settings are you using?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 11, 2012 9:40 AM   in reply to csiu425

Maybe the InDesign document has some minor corruption. Try exporting it as IDML and opening the IDML back in InDesign. If it doesn't output correctly, it obviously wasn't the solution, so there will be no need to keep the new document. If it does work, you can save it and keep using it, but you might want to keep the original for a while, just in case.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points