Skip navigation

InDesign CS5 Crashes with Warning Dialog Box

Jun 15, 2012 3:36 PM

Latest reply: richardkeenanco, Aug 30, 2012 7:48 PM
Replies 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 11, 2012 5:41 AM   in reply to wonderings1111

Do you have CS5.5? or CS6? It didn't work for me. I have CS5.5. Anyone have that preferences file. I keep getting the blank warning that then crashes my system every time I print.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 5:43 AM   in reply to JenniferT

Agree completely with you. THey need to make that checkable.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 6:20 AM   in reply to KimberlyPek

I am running CS6. Its not perfect the fix, but it allows to at least package. I had no issues with making pdf's of any degree of quality or printing before. But like everyone else, when a warning box comes up, indesign goes down. I cannot even add preset page sizes for the print dialogue box because again, it brings up the warning box. This is really something that needs to be addressed ASAP by Adobe. This is pro software, in which many many people make their living on, not some print package that can make cutesy greeting cards on your home printer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 6:23 AM   in reply to wonderings1111

I completely agree. I am losing time on projects.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 6:28 AM   in reply to KimberlyPek

You would think that there would be as simple solution in preferences somewhere to just turn off all warning dialogue boxes. It would not be perfect, but it would get everyone working again till they can really sort out what is causing this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 6:31 AM   in reply to wonderings1111

I completely agree. That seems simple enough. I can't figure out what the warning would be that would pop up when printing? Do you think it is because I reinstalled everything, and I need to install my printer? If I can avoid that stupid warning, then I can print. UGH!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 6:35 AM   in reply to KimberlyPek

No, its something to do with conflicting with something else, its just warning you about it. I remember it happening on my old MacBook Pro. There was a button to click to never show again. Problem is that does not help if you cant even get to that option without crashing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 6:40 AM   in reply to wonderings1111

One possible warning when printing might be that the transparency flattener blend space doesn't match, presuming the more obvious missing font or out-of-dat/missing link warnings don't apply.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 6:44 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Is there any way that they can get rid of all warnings for now as a temporary fix?

Bc I don't know about you guys, I usually ignore that transparency flattener warning.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 6:46 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Also, this will happen on a blank document that has just a drawn line on it. I was doing test pages...

There isn't anything transparent and no fonts... I am completely going nuts here.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 6:51 AM   in reply to KimberlyPek

I'm in the same boat as Kimberly.  I'm using CS5.5 on the new mid 2012 MBP.  If anyone could post a pref file for CS5.5 that would be greatly appreciated as I can't downgrade to 10.7.3.

Thanks,

J

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 6:51 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Would attaching or placing my error/crash report help any?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 6:53 AM   in reply to jchan9

I have the new MBP 2012 too...and I was wondering if we could partition our drives with Snow Leopard.... is that possible or no?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 7:50 AM   in reply to wonderings1111

wonderings1111 wrote:

I cannot even add preset page sizes for the print dialogue box because again, it brings up the warning box.

You should be able to do it with the new "Indesign_Defaults.zip" file I've just uploaded.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8980230/InDesign_Defaults.zip

You can also relink or import PSD files without having the warning dialog about the non-maximize PSD saved thing.

Obviously, every preference will be back to default…

And it seems that it only works in CS6...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 8:00 AM   in reply to alitaliano

Which indesign are you using?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 8:05 AM   in reply to KimberlyPek

Indesign CS 6…

alexdauchez wrote:

And it seems that it only works in CS6...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 8:10 AM   in reply to alitaliano

Is there any way that anyone can do that with CS5.5? I mean...I know they keep coming out with new upgrades...but this is getting ridiculous.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 8:24 AM   in reply to alitaliano

Thanks Alex

I think that pretty much covers it all for me, so I am functional at least. Still would love an actual fix for this as I will be upgrading in the next month another pre press machine and it will come default with Lion as well and dont want to go through all this again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 8:29 AM   in reply to wonderings1111

Next month? You can count on Mountain Lion on that one.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 8:33 AM   in reply to wonderings1111

hi @ll,

i only wanted to let you know how adobe cares about this error:

i have an open service task about this problem @ adobe (in our company there are 5 retina mac books and 5 adobe cs master suites infected ... $28.000!!!)

after weeks i got following answer from adobe:

Please check the following items because the program may crash can also be caused by faulty fonts.

im really pissed @adobe. if you are interested in your customers you should know, that this crappy bug isnt infected by any fonts!

(just to say it again: we also tested cs on the retinas only with system fonts and no other software or update installed on the machines)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 8:37 AM   in reply to Berny123Ste

I was on the phone with them for 4 hours yesterday. THey are calling me back. I don't have any fonts installed yet because it is a brand new computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 8:37 AM   in reply to Scott Worthington

What do I do if my computer came with osx 10.7.4? I can't roll back. I have a 2012 Macbook Pro.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 8:41 AM   in reply to Berny123Ste

I also wrote emails to Gizmodo and The Verge alerting them to this problem.  Hopefully, they'll write an article about it that will light a fire under Adobe to 1. properly acknowledge the problem and 2. DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT QUICKLY

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 8:44 AM   in reply to Carey Burgess

Turning off graphics switching did not help in my case (2012 MacBook Pro 15-NOT the retina model). I also downloaded a utility that would let me force the MBP to use the integrated graphics (HD4000) and that didn't fix the problem either.

I am in the process of creating a Lion virtual machine with Parallels to see if that will let me run the software without this problem but it is going to be awhile. Between downloading Lion and the Adobe software it isn't the quickest of processes.

-Keith

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 8:42 AM   in reply to muthafusco

I am losing business....and having to outsource printing because of this. THis is costing me money...as well as the expense of paying for the program. ugh. I hear ya.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 8:46 AM   in reply to KimberlyPek

Once again, you are singularly pointing a finger at Adobe when it’s Apple’s O/S that changed. While an Adobe bug is entirely possible past experience tells me that there’s a pretty good chance that Apple broke something here.

While I certainly understand the frustration, I strongly encourage you to yell as loudly in Apple’s direction as you are in Adobe’s.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 8:48 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

I am. Trust me. I am going there right after work.

I want both parties aware. Especially bc I can't even put Snow Leopard back on my computer is frustrating.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 9:15 AM   in reply to arminvit

I am having the same issues crashing with CS6, on MacBook Pro non-retina 15-inch, Mid 2012, 10.7.4

Crashes trying to delete layer, and crashes packaging a document when packaging with fonts in package. Packaging worked for me when fonts was unchecked.

Holding the alt/option key to delete a layer, while deleting layer worked to delete layers without crashing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 9:45 AM   in reply to kpluck

I tried installing a fresh copy of Lion in a Parallels virtual machine but experienced the same crashing problem. Whatever is causing the problem in the update is apparently be copied over to the virtual machine even though when I ran software update in the VM it did not ask to install the 2012 MacBook Pro update.

Maybe when installing Lion as a guest the hardware of the original machine is still identified and you get whatever the latest version of Lion is available for that hardware?

-Keith

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 10:17 AM   in reply to kpluck

I had hopes that if I reinstalled lion and skipped the macbook pro update it would work, but the same crashing persists even without that update, so its something else that is causing it.

For those using CS6, the download prefs in this thread worked perfect for me. I can package files, with fonts no problem, delete pages with no crashing, everything seems to work as it should, except you wont be warned about things when you do something.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 10:21 AM   in reply to wonderings1111

Can anyone do this for CS5.5?  Please...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 10:50 AM   in reply to muthafusco

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 11:21 AM   in reply to gvit1896

While this problem is certainly frustrating I am not prepared to put all/most of the blame on Adobe's doorstep. As I said over on Appleinsider, how a release of OS X got out into the wild with such an easy to identify problem in a major piece of software speaks to exactly how much thought and care Apple is putting into its testing procedures which in turns says a lot about how much Apple cares about its professional users.

That being said, I just checked Adobe's "known issues" page for Lion and this problem isn't listed. It should be added ASAP.

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/known-issues-mac-os-10.html

-kpluck

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 12:24 PM   in reply to muthafusco

MacGeneration.com, a famous french forum is about to talk about it. Let's see if that will make Adobe a little bit more responsive…

nyctinab wrote:

I am having the same issues crashing with CS6, on MacBook Pro non-retina 15-inch, Mid 2012, 10.7.4

Did you try with the file I provide (see above) ?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 12:27 PM   in reply to alitaliano

Can someone make a preference file for CS5 too?  I know it's a longshot, but I thought I'd ask.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 12:30 PM   in reply to alitaliano

Maybe it will make Apple a bit more responsive.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 1:27 PM   in reply to Carey Burgess

My coworkers and I are having this problem (indesign crashes on exporting to PDF), but on PCs, running Windows XP. It began to happen after "upgrading" to CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 1:51 PM   in reply to samia.perkins

samia.perkins, this specific issue in this thread should be directly related to MacOS. If it is crashing on Windows with blank dialog boxes, I suspect it is would be for something else entirely and may be worth working in a different thread to get more information on what is taking place.

As to responses on this matter, I know the engineers have this at a very high priority and as mentioned, when I know more about the scale of the changes necessary to address the change from them and what we can do to properly resolve it, I will share it immediately.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 9:49 PM   in reply to Scott Worthington

I've posted my attempt at an ID CS5 pref file with as many warnings turned off as I could think of:

http://compucraft.net/idprefs.zip

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 3:59 AM   in reply to bswets

if anyone has 5.5.... i would be so.happy!!!!

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (6)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points