Flash player stopped working.

New Here ,
Jun 19, 2012 Jun 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7 64-bit

Firefox version 13.0.1

Flash version 11.3.300.257

A few days ago everything that uses flash just stopped working. Videos on youtube, dailymotion etc. just show a black screen and flash sites and games won't display at all. Incidentally, and I'm not 100% sure this is related but I thought I'd mention it, I can't view anything in my steam backpack or use the trading system.

I've uninstalled and re-installed flash. I've tried using various browsers including Chrome, IE and Firefox. Flash  doesn't work on any of them.

I've tried everything suggested on http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/flash-player-games-video-or.html to no avail.

Any help getting flash to work again would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: I noticed on BF3's battlelog a popup message at the top of the screen saying "Flash plugin is blocked or disabled. Battlelog requires Flash. Please enable or unblock it."

I've checked and Firefox hasn't disabled the flash plugin, does anyone have ideas on other ways to check what might be blocking or disabling it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2012 Jun 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance of getting some feedback on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 20, 2012 Jun 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry you've encountered this problem.  Please see the first solution mentioned in this post.

Are you having problems with Flash 11.3?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2012 Jun 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Chris. Unfortunately I don't run realpayer, so there isn't a conflict there and I tried rolling back to both 10.3 and 11.2 and had exactly the same problem with them as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2012 Jun 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same Problem. Tried  http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/flash-player-games-video-or.html

Don't know what else to try.

Windows 7 64-bit

Firefox version 13.0.1

Flash version 11.3.300.257

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 22, 2012 Jun 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gerrick1989 - Do you have RealPlayer installed?  If so, please see this help document: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/flash-player-113-crash-mozilla.html#id_53688

Dovich99 - Let's try to do a clean install.  In particular, make sure you manually delete the files and folders that are called out if they exist.  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/928315?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2012 Jun 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did the clean install twice, trying both previous versions of flash. Still nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2012 Jul 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think my issue can solve a bit of this problem. I got a 64 Bit computer and the flash player 11.3.300.262 doesn't work in Firefox 13. So I tried to Run my Firefox in safemode (Run > firefox.exe -safe-mode). Then just keep run the browser in safe mode by clicking the button. The flash player runs properly.

A ordinary start up by dubble click the FF icon on the desktop don't show any graphic but I can see the choice About Flash player... in the context menu. The Flash "place holder" is just white.

I'm using Firefox 13

Also tried to clean up the cache in both player and browser, inactivated the other browser add-ons, tried with a new user account with no result. The safe mode above was the only solution that worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2012 Jul 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion ibookjim, but I had no luck with it. Still getting black boxes where I should see video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 10, 2012 Jul 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your display adapter, device driver and date?  See http://forums.adobe.com/thread/945765

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570, driver version is 8.17.13.142 from 15-May-12. I've tried rolling back to a previous driver but haven't had any results with that tactic either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dovich, sorry if you've already mentioned this but is this specific to just Firefox or do you see this behavior in Chrome and IE too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2012 Jul 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah Chrome and IE have the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2012 Jul 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem, on Mac (3 different computers) and PC.

All browsers are affected: IE, Firefox, Safari, Chrome. I have uninstalled/reinstalled Flash, deleted add-ons/plugins on the browsers, cleared history/cache/cookies on everything.

I do not have RealPlayer installed on any of these computers.

After working on this for several hours and trying everything I can think of, all I see where there should be an embedded YouTube video is a black box.

I've right-clicked and removed the acceleration check box (where I can see that option), still nothing. In some cases, all I see is a grayed out "movie not loaded" message when I option-click.

I have Flash v. 11,3,300,265 installed on 3 computers. On an older one, I have 10.2 something, and nothing works there, either.

Everything was working fine until two days ago. I'm stumped, and this is really causing serious problems related to work. I must be able to view embedded videos.

If anyone has any other solutions for me to try, I'd be most appreciative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 15, 2012 Jul 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a temporary solution until this is solved ( a work around) because i use my PC for work as well...
If you are running a 64 bit system then try using the WaterFox Browser http://waterfoxproject.org/ - it keeps all your regular firefox plugins etc... It's basically Firefox but 10 times faster for 64 bit users only.

There are few limitations and a great alternative till this issue gets resloved.

I am in the process of reformatting my comp, and reinstalling everything, I'll let you know how it goes and if the reformat solved the issue. Might have caught a virus er something...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2012 Jul 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. I gave waterfox a shot but had the same issue. It doesn't seem to matter what browser I use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 17, 2012 Jul 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well.. i did a reformat and it worked. Firefox works fine now. I would suggest backing up your crap and doing a reformat and then after getting all yer crap loaded, make a system Image File and save it, now when something like that hapepneds again, you can relopad yer stuff back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2012 Jul 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. I'm not running Firefox, but I've tried IE9 (both 32 and 64 bit) and Chrome, and have the same black window instead of video. Videos on some sites display fine, such as hulu.com, but others, such as comedycentral.com don't work at all.

I've tried re-installing Flash, disabling hardware accelaration, updating my display driver to the latest version, deleting the Flash cache, disabling my anti-virus, and ensuring the sites are permitted local storage. None of this helped.

Since it's happening on both Chrome and IE9, and only some websites, I have to conclude that it's a Flash bug not specific to the IE9 ActiveX or Chrome plug-in, and has something to do with the way the content is downloaded/streamed from these sites.

It's really frustrating to see this - I've experienced a lot of quality issues with Adobe products over the years. I sure hope HTML5 takes off soon and we can get rid of this weak link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2012 Aug 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So I uninstalled Adobe Acrobat Reader today because it was opening windows by itself occasionally then freezing and requiring me to restart the computer and now I can view flash content again. I have no idea why or what Acrobat Reader was doing, but I'm glad I have things back to normal. Thanks to everyone who provided help and suggestions. I am a bit disappointed that Adobe just let this drop and left me to my problem though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines