I had come to this forum with a hope of resolving the issue. But even after trying out all the suggestions by all ( thanks to all ), I could not get this error out. Instead, I feel
I can help someone by posting my answer which worked for my project which compiled successfully.
Ok, back to the point..
Starting with, I installed all the patches/upgrades released for RoboHelp 7.
1. Keep an eye on the last .htm page that is shown just before the error message "Fatal Error: Unexpected error from Microsoft HTML compiler" that appears in "Output view"
2. Open the .htm file and remove all the images you have inserted if any. Save and compile. If you are able to compile without any error,
a. it means you image file name is too lengthy
b. the image file is too deep in its path.
Fix: 1. Try to reduce the image name length
2. Try to place the Image file in the outer-most folder instead of placing it inside a "deep" folder.
I was able to troubleshoot and by following these steps, was able to compile my help project without any errors.
Please try this and post your replies.. Good Luck !
We had the same problem happening on one computer. We ran the MJ's Help Diagnostics utility on both computers and found that the one causing the Fatal Error had "HTML Help Workshop" installed on it. It was uninstalled and the fatal error is no longer occurring.
I had the same problem and just wanted to mention how I solved it -in case it helps anybody. I followed the suggestion above of noting in the compiler output view what files caused the compiler to fail and then deactivating those files until I could determine exactly which file caused the problem.
-My first failure was in the TOC (.hhc) so I renamed it so the compiler would skip it -avoiding that failure.
-On the next compile it failed with the Index (.hhk) file, so I renamed the Index so it would not compile.
-On the next compile it began compiling the topics (having skipped the renamed TOC and Index) but it failed when it reached a particular topic.
-I continued disabling failed topics until I determined they all had links to one topic that had some suspicious problems. When I removed all references and links to that suspicious topic the compilation succeeded, and it said the one suspicious topic "was not compiled". I replaced that problem topic and restored its links to other topics, the TOC, the Index and the Context Sensitive map file. Then everything worked fine.
-I believe the problem in the topic was caused during the conversion of the project from WinHelp. The topic had a very long title in the body of the text including an ampersand and carriage return. Maybe that caused a problem with an XML file somewhere.
-Note that the references to the bad topic caused the TOC and Index files to fail to compile at first, even though there was nothing wrong with the TOC or Index itself.
Thank you to everyone above who provided helpful suggestions!
Hi Everyone. Just thought I should add my experience here. Had exactly the same issue myself today and came here looking for the solution. Eventually solved it myself - for me it was caused by renaming the project - the .hhc and .hhk files still had the old project name. As soon as I renamed them -> hey presto, it compiled ok. Apologies if this was already explained elsewhere. IMHO renaming the project in Robohelp ought to take care of this really, since it cause such an unfriendly error.
Thank you Peter. I thought I had used the RH rename function, but in truth I'm not 100% sure (it was a long time ago - I've been using Webhelp, but now a colleague needs a chm version). Also I can compile locally but not on the network, so my "solution" is clearly not the full picture.
Me again - clearly not giving up actually...
I don't know if this helps, but I've just observed one compilation that worked and one that failed - both on the C: drive. The difference between them is the length of the path name to the destination folder. The really long one failed. I hope this helps. Cheers.
I've just faced with the same problem working with RH 9. I've investigated all replies to this post and would like to share a few comments from my side.
In my situation, the compiler shows the fatal error message when it starts processing the .hhc file. (Still the file is fine,) I would really appreciate if RH development team rewrites the message, because the "Fatal Error: Unexpected error from Microsoft HTML compiler.", in fact means nothing.
Well, let us get back to the problem. I've managed to fix it. First of all, it looks like the CPD file does not cause the problem. I've renamed it (deleted it), but it did not actually help. I've checked names of files and folders and eliminated all spaces and dots. It didn't help either. Finally I've placed the folder with source project files to the root of partition, and it DID help. So, I suspect, the problem is with a path length. But in my situation it is even less than 256 characters. It is only 127 (along with names of .hhx, xpj. and other files.) Even path to the default destination folder is less than 256 characters.
I would also thank all for you for your advises and thoughts.
Europe, Middle East and Africa