Skip navigation

New PC for Adobe CS6

Jun 9, 2012 7:45 PM

Tags: #hardware #creative #cs6 #cloud
  Latest reply: matthew_cotter, Jul 18, 2012 9:34 PM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 11, 2012 8:44 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

The Caching for Mpeg2 has been different since CS5.5. Go to the PPBM5 site and sort by CS6. You can see the scores most are seeing with CS6.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 8:54 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Steven, congratulations, with your 154 total you are in second place in CS6 testing.  Harm will be posting soon.

You definitely will find CS6 slower than CS5.5 and CS5.0 testing.  In CS5.5 they changed some caching algorithm which adversely affect or benchmark and then in CS 6 with all the new features (added much new code) they adversely affected the PPBM 5.5 test also.  Most of this is in the CPU intensive portion of the MPEG2-DVD testing.  As far as I can tell it has nothing to do with the GPU "approval" I have many different boards here some on the certified list and some not on the list.  As you add more CUDA cores scores improve, but because both CPU and GPU are involved the improvement in the number of cores has reached the law of dimishing returns with the new GTX 600 series.

What you should do is look at the results only on what you are testing.  Go the the versions TAB at the top of the results page and select CS6 and you will find that a Rank 21 (overall) will put you in second place for CS6 testing.  The only one faster CS6 is a 4.6 GHz overclock.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 9:14 AM   in reply to Bill Gehrke

Remeber Stephen, you bought the system to edit with, not to take out to the speedway.

Regardless of of where you place on a list of tests. you have a kick *** machine that is going to really enhance your aibility to edit projects and make money. Compared to technology from a couple of years ago, you have a Spaceship that flies at warp speed.

Now get editing 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 9:19 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Steven, your results have been added.

Rank #22 overall, #2 for CS6 only. Very nice results. Congrats.

BTW, I made some slight corrections to your submission form. I corrected the SCSI entry to SATA, as it should be.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 7:08 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

I understand Steven. Just teasin "   

My turn to take delivery of a computer today. My communications with HP paid off and got me escalated for faster delivery then predicted.

I did the initial setup outside the edit bay to make sure all was well. Installed the GTX 570 and the Caldigit Raid array, with some minor bumps along the way, but nothing unexpected. Boy, the security measures that Windows need to protect itself are draconian compared to OSX. I understand the need, but it sure makes some things that should be simple, a little less simple.

So, all is well and relocated back into the bay. Next is software installation and KVM (Starcraft) implementation. Then the fun begins. I like how the Z820s user friendly design is reminiscent of the Mac Pro. Swapping cards and stuff is logical, accessible and easy.

Regardless of where I may fall in the PPBM chart, I feel lucky to be able to jump from an early 2008 Mac Pro (still in service for mail and internet) up to the Starship Z820. With 2 fun music video under my belt recently, its time to explore new frontiers. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 7:52 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

When the onboard Sata controller is in Raid mode then Windows see's the controller device driver class as SCSI. This does not change the type of drives you have. This is just the device class the controller is under in Windows.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 5:19 PM   in reply to ECBowen

Stevens been awful quiet the last 3 days. Everything alright?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 12:02 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Looking good. What a lucky man you are to have such a sweet wife.

Im doing the same process. Im still using the Mac for web, email and making rock and roll. But all the programs, utilities and plugins need to be redownloaded as the PC version then installed. Im also bringing over the Footloose music video PP project  I cut to see how it performs on the new PC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRIg6h-LIm0&feature=relmfu   Watch it in 1080 full frame for full effect!

I have downsized to just 1 30" monitor since I still need my 27" Mac HD Cinema monitor for the Mac Pro. It worked out better then I expected, since I generally prefer 2 matched monitors like you have.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 1:39 PM   in reply to lasvideo

LasVideo~

Have you received your dual Xeon Machine? Curious to how it performed... currently debating between the i7 vs. the Dual Xeon.

Thanks!!

Matt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 1:46 PM   in reply to matthew_cotter

Yes, but still in the configuration process (i.e., replacing all the Mac software with PC stuff). Also had to send back the Caldigit raid array back due to excessive fan noise. Getting the Dulce raid instead.

General wisdom is...if you need to edit large files like Red / Epic and such, get the Sandy Bridge EP dual Xeon like I have.

If you dont, save your money and get the Sandy Bridge single processor ( that maybe the i7, Im not up on that technology).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 2:53 PM   in reply to lasvideo

Sweet... Can I ask what you ended up going with? MB? Ram? Cooling? I know you mentioned the EGVA SR-X at one point... Did you end up with that?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 2:59 PM   in reply to matthew_cotter

Here are the stats Matthew.

Screen Shot 2012-07-18 at 2.57.49 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 3:00 PM   in reply to lasvideo

That's Slick!! Congrats!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 3:05 PM   in reply to matthew_cotter

Thanks. It will be nice when Im done with all this transitional stuff and get to see how it really performs!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 6:04 PM   in reply to lasvideo

lasvideo wrote:

Thanks. It will be nice when Im done with all this transitional stuff and get to see how it really performs!

I, for one, am breathless with anticipation.

I, too, have taken the plunge and ordered the following:

2 Intel Xeon E5-2687W

2 Corsair CWC-H80

1 Asus Z9PE-D8 WS

8 G.Skill Extreme3 1 8 Go PC15000 Ripjaws

I am anxious to see how the new CPUs compared to my current i7-3960X which they are to replace.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 7:08 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Stephen, are you talkin to me? 

If so, I have a separate raid array. It is this one from Dulce. It will have r/w speeds of about 900MB/s and 16 TB of storage. As with the computer, it will handle everything from h.264 to Red / Epic projects.

http://www.dulcesystems.com/html/pro_dqg2.html

The GTX is actually very highly rated for use in PrP and AE by editors in the industry. And its good coverage until the Kepler comes out next year.

Yes, it water cooled because the fast CPUs i chose generates LOTS of heat. And they are not over clockable. Even if they were I wouldnt do it.

Your obession with PPBM scores is a different perspective then mine. I needed something that could perform 24/7 and get repaired at a moments notice so as not to miss deadlines or lose clients. My goal was to buy a fast reliable work horse, not a race horse   

If both our systems make us happy and serve our needs, then we are a very lucky 2 guys.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 9:27 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

RIGHT!

I understand and respect learning about new things. I am in the middle of that process myself. And you are right, the PPBM is the only existing way to gauge performance of Premiere Pro. The need for speed underlines all our motivations for upgrades and going to Eric is the smartest thing folks can do.

Had I not needed the ability to playback the wide range of codecs that I do, I would have definitely bought the system you did. And its only due to a little glitch that I didnt by from Eric as well. I certainly had planned for the longest time of doing so. But I will let that story stay in the past.

The raid actually really speeds things up in Premiere Pro. With a fast CPU.GPU and ram, the drives need to feed them at a fast rate as well. And larger files and funky codecs (h.264) also benefit from it as well.

Given the advances of CS6 (I was a beta tester for it the last year) and the power of your system, scrubbing should not be an issue. Rendering still might be. That will depend on the length of your timeline, amount of and kind of effects used, the format and codec of your clips and what you are exporting to as well.

I congratulate you on your powerhouse and look forward to hearing more about your adventures.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 9:34 PM   in reply to lasvideo

Yes, LasVideo, I too am moving from the MacPro so I'll be going through that process as well.

There's so many little handy things I miss from the Mac side that Im anxiously looking for on the PC side...

M

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points