Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Encore flash playback problem

Jul 8, 2012 9:21 AM

Tags: #flash #version #encore #downgrade

Hi folks,

As I'm a complete noob when it comes to Flash, I would really appreciate your help with this one.

For one of my clients, I have made a flash video using Adobe Encore CS5.5 (I'm now using CS6). I just made a dvd with menus as I normally would, but this time, I exported it as a flash site, as they preferred this over a hardcopy on dvd/blu-ray.

The goal is to play this flash video in about 150 paydesk terminals, some running on Win XP and some on Win 7.

Flash Player 10.3.181.34 is installed on all the terminals, with no active x plug-in.

The video codecs are standard from Windows, with Flash 9 included.

The video will be streamed from a server of the network administrator.

The terminals are not connected to the internet, only to an internal network.

As I understand, to be able to play this Flash file, at least flash player 11 is needed.

So at the moment, my client can't play this file on any of these terminals.

They asked me to make the flash video compatible with their systems, but as I already told you and them, I'm a complete noob when in comes down to Flash.

So my question is:

Is there any way to achieve a downgrade of this file to Flash 9?

Or do you suggest some other workaround?

If needed, I can provide additional info on my clients system.

Thank you all in advance!

Tamas

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 8, 2012 9:44 AM   in reply to Tamas

So this is to be opened in a Web browser? and the browser is using pluggin ver 10.3 something?

As I understand, to be able to play this Flash file, at least flash player 11 is needed.

Why is that? Where did you get that idea?

The player version is most likely set when you published from Encore. So Publish for a lower version.

I exported it as a flash site

So there is a Flash <object> embedded into a Web page?

If you can't re-publish from Encode, try just editing the swfversion / player version directly in the HTML code.... post code if you don't know how/where.

But better to re-publish directly from Encore, targeting a lower version.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 10:39 AM   in reply to adninjastrator

The Flash 11 comment comes from Minu here:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4544853#4544853

He may be covering the latest features of Encore to flash in CS6. I only have flash 11.3 to test at the moment, so can't comment on what functionality may not be available on a lower version of flash.

Tamas, have you tried the current flash export on the terminal, and if so, what error do you get?

The player version is most likely set when you published from Encore. So Publish for a lower version.

There is no control from Encore on the player version. You have control over what encode to use (flv vs f4v and various settings within those).

In CS6 compared to earlier versions, there are a number of modifications to make after the project is exported. But I do not believe that version of player is one of them. You can edit the html re the versions to allow.

Edit:

Yes, it is an <object> embed. FYI, the version specified there is 9.0.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 7:47 AM   in reply to Tamas

So I could try editing the html code to allow lower versions to play it?

Can you confirm that it does not play? And what error/message do you get if it does not?

The only version I see mention of in there is 9.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 1:10 AM   in reply to Tamas

Hi ,

I think the issue you are facing because you are streaming from Server , To make it work you need to do some changes in security settings for flash :

Here are the steps :

If the playback does not start after clicking on index.html, do the following:

1 Double click index.html.

2 Right click, select Global Settings. Flash Player settings manager is displayed.

3 Click the Advance Tab

4 Click Trusted Location Settings.

5 Click Add, and browse to the path where the exported folder is located (For

example, if exported folder is in the C drive, you can browse till the C drive.

6 Close browser and double click index.html.

Thanks

Minu

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 12:40 AM   in reply to Tamas

Hi Tamas ,

Did you try the security settings i mentioned in my previous post ?

I think the menus are getting displayed but not video files seems to be the case of security settings .

As menu is present on your local system ( in output folder) , while the video files needs to be streamed from streaming server .

On the same screen where menu is displayed >right click >Global settings and set security settings as mentioned in my previous post.

Thanks

Minu

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 5:12 AM   in reply to coolvideo12

He only needs streaming if he set it that way. You can set the encore to flash as static. But security settings still apply. In Win7, I'm just prompted to click enable; I don't think I ever changed the security for this laptop.

Also, I don't think you get the screen (menu) if the security is preventing the swf from playing.

We have seen a similar version of this (also referred over to this forum from Encore) where the server settings for the files were the problem. Can you play the f4v directly on the test machine?

What I think you are seeing, Tamas, is that some files are playing (png's) and some are not (f4v). The flv may work.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 6:44 AM   in reply to Tamas

If the vid file is a .f4v, then you need at least Flash Player 10, not 9.

If you want to stick with Flash player 9 (as your code says), then encode as a .flv.

If you see part of the .swf but not all, then it it not a local security issue... it's more likely an incorrect path to one or more of the associated Flash assets. The .swf is not finding the file (.flv for example).... hence, that part of the Flash does not display.

Not sure what your folder structure is ... but for your review:

Almost always when it works on the local machine and not the server, it's a pathing problem.
    You can put your Flash related files in whatever folders you want, they do NOT have to be in the root, they do NOT all have to be in the same folder. But if you have a problem and if sticking them all in the root folder works, then you know that the issue was a pathing problem.
    Just remember that paths used in the .swf become relative to the Web page on which the .swf is placed, NOT it’s physical location.  So for example, if your .swf is in the flash/data folder and you use that .swf on a Web page in the root folder, you are in effect, removing that .swf from flash/data and putting it in root. So if the .swf is loading any related files (xml, images, video, etc), the path used inside the .swf to load the .xml file has to be relative to it's new location in root and then back down into flash/data. This is true even though when testing the .swf by itself, it can be inside flash/data and work just fine, since relative to it's location, the path is just fine, they are in the same folder. But if that same path is used when the .swf is placed on a page two folder levels up, the relative path has changed, the old "same folder" path will not work.

In fact if you are placing the .swf on a web page in a different folder than the .swf is stored in, and that .swf calls external assets, then direct clicking and opening of the .swf in it’s folder should NOT work! That’s because the paths to the external assets should be relative to the Web page and not the physical location of the .swf.
    So just be sure that you use addresses relative to the final Web page locations (not physical file locations) and you can put the Flash related files in what ever folders you want.
    Best wishes,
    Eye for Video
    www.cidigitalmedia.com

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 9:24 AM   in reply to adninjastrator

Thanks, Adninjastrator. That is helpful.

The Encore export to flash structure is the .htm and .swf (and 2 .xml's) in the main folder, and all assets in a folder below them called "sources." The paths are relative, so, as you note, that is usually not an issue.

If some of what Tamas is seeing is menu elements (highlights), then the .swf is seeing the sources folder. If all he is seeing is the player controls, then perhaps not.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2012 7:41 AM   in reply to Tamas

Welcome back!

Points to server settings, but who knows!

Glad it is working.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points