Skip navigation
customizer2
Currently Being Moderated

27" glossy display, bright room - totally illegible!!! Didn't Adobe test this first?

Jul 10, 2012 8:56 AM

With the combination of tiny font size and the inability to set the contrast of the text and background, this batcave thing  makes the interface text almost totally illegible on a glossy 27" monitor.

I am constantly having to use hardware zoom to make out the controls. Productivity is way, way down and eyestrain induced headaches are way, way up.

This shows a huge disconnect on the part of Adobe.

If every user was on a 17" non-reflective screen in a darkened environment and dressed like a ninja, I guess this would work. It sure doesn't work in the real world.

I can't wait a year for the penny to drop. I have work to do today - and a ton of it. A year ago, before the Helen Keller interface change with Adobe apps I could get things done. This is really silly.

For example, the photo lables in the library: text: 89% backbround: 77% - a difference of only 12%! Twelve percent?!

When you overlay this with a reflection of around 30% white, it is impossible to make things out.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 10, 2012 9:07 AM   in reply to customizer2

I have no trouble on glossy displays (or any other type, for that matter) making out any element of the user interface.  Are you sure your monitor is properly calibrated with a good black point?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 9:23 AM   in reply to customizer2

customizer2 wrote:

With the combination of tiny font size and the inability to set the contrast of the text and background, this batcave thing  makes the interface text almost totally illegible on a glossy 27" monitor.

For example, the photo lables in the library: text: 89% backbround: 77% - a difference of only 12%! Twelve percent?!

When you overlay this with a reflection of around 30% white, it is impossible to make things out.

I'm currently using an HP 2509m 25" 1920 x1080 display with a very glossy glass-like screen surface. I have the room lighting setup so that there aren't any overly bright lights near the display with no issues. You can increase the font in the side panels using Edit> Preferences> Interface> Fonts, but that won't change the grid view image fonts size or contrast ratio.

With a 30% glare on your screen you have bigger problems. There is no way you will be able to properly judge and set black points and shadow areas! Have you tried addressing this issue?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 9:25 AM   in reply to customizer2

I don't know what "photo labels in the library" means exactly, but the text (filenames or whatever you have set up) is darker than the background on the Library mode thumbnails.  For folder names, they are brighter than the background but it's RGB=216 versus 71 for the background.

Are you sure you don't have a corrupt monitor profile that's just messing up all the colors?  Could you show us a screen-shot or, perhaps even better, a photograph of your screen?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 9:41 AM   in reply to customizer2

customizer2 wrote:

The concept of a miniascule difference in contrast between text and backgroiund of only 12% is nuts.

I am unable to find anywhere in the user interface where such a situation exists.  Could you be more specific about where you see that?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 10:06 AM   in reply to customizer2

I'm more convinced now that you have a messed up monitor profile.  Look at your text versus mine.

Import thumb text.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 10:10 AM   in reply to Lee Jay

Wait - maybe it's because you don't have those thumbs selected.

All your screen shots are pretty decently visible to me, and I have a parapolic fluorescent fixture right above my monitor.

The resolution you are using isn't that high.  I have a 15" laptop with a 1920x1200 monitor and the text is visible on that no problem.  I also use Jeffrey's configurator to make the text smaller than you can make it with the regular controls.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 10:11 AM   in reply to Lee Jay

The thumbnail text is dimmer when the image is unselected for Import.  That is the difference between his and yours.  Undo the checkmarks and compare.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 10:33 AM   in reply to ssprengel

ssprengel wrote:

The thumbnail text is dimmer when the image is unselected for Import.  That is the difference between his and yours.  Undo the checkmarks and compare.

The focus is intentionlly set on the "unimported" pictures, not those already in the LR catalog. Regardless, I can read the text on all of the pictures in the Import module with no issues. My display is ~89 dpi versus the OP's 110 dpi, which is about 25% smaller font size. My normal viewing distance is ~24" and even at 36" view distance (50% smaller font size) I can still read the Import text fine. Here's a 100% size screen shot:

Customizer2 double-click the below image to see full-size on your screen and see if you can read it. Make sure your browser is not windowed (i.e. set to full screen view).

Import.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 10:43 AM   in reply to customizer2

So you didn't test Lr yourself before buying it, then?

You get 30 days' grace to see if Lr suits you, and I'd have thought that 30 seconds would be enough to show this problem up.

Yoiu can't honestly expect Adobe or any other software company to test for usability in what is by any definition, a really poor environment - where would that testing end? It's our responsibility to set up our working environments; and if that's a fait accompli, at least to test that the software is usable in the environment we're compelled to work in.

Can't you just sort out a monitor hood?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 11:24 AM   in reply to customizer2

I believe Adobe has changed the LR4 UI for usage under optimum editing light conditions, which enhances the ability to adjust shadow details and black points. I agree that it is probably not necessary inside the Import module, but was probably done to maintain “balanced” screen brightness between modules. This helps to keep the pupils at the same dilation and reduces accommodation due to screen light level fluctuations.

I'd ask your boss if it would be OK to remove at least two (2) bulbs from the fixture. I had the same exact problem at my workplace and had the janitor remove three (3) of the 48" FL bulbs from the fixture over my desk. My neighboring coworkers saw the difference and then asked to have the janitor take two (2) bulbs out of the fixtures over their desks. My boss then came out of his office and asked for a vote, which was anonymous. He instructed the janitor to remove two bulbs from every fixture in the entire office space. He wasn't about to complain since he was paying for the electric bill.

If that doesn't work I'd take Keith_Reeder's tip concerning a monitor hood. I made one out of corrugated cardboard spayed with flat black paint on the inside and it did the job at a cost of 99 cents for the paint. You pays your money and takes your choice.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 1:37 PM   in reply to customizer2

customizer2 wrote:

I'm dealing with two pair of 4' flourescents on a 90" ceiling.

How about a monitor hood - would that help to reduce the glare? Monitor hoods go for about $ 150 or less. Check them out at B&H.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 1:58 PM   in reply to customizer2

customizer2 wrote:

The issue is that Adobe has eliminated the ability to tweak the interface for less than ideal environments.

Adobe did not eliminate the ability to tweak the UI because that function was never in LR from the first public beta. Having a customizable UI color set might be nice but it would be a huge amount of work. Photoshop CS6 at version 13 at about 22 years old just got customizable UI colors (variable UI type was put in CS5 I think).

The root of your problem is your working environment...there are ISO standards you should check out ISO 3664:2009 Graphic technology and photography -- Viewing conditions. I think you'll find that trying to do digital imaging in your current situation sucks...and that's not Lightroom's fault.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 1:59 PM   in reply to customizer2

customizer2 wrote:

I might have to dig out that old black karate jacket that came with my PressView.

Way to go. Don't forget the black pirate's eye patch

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 12:40 AM   in reply to customizer2

I've recently(six months) started using a 27" display, and even though it's matte, it still picks up room reflections.

The two best--if not most convenient--things you can do is rig an approx. 4'x4' black card or cloth right behind you as you look at the screen, plus take all the ambient room light that's hitting you off of the side of you that faces the screen(black yourself out).. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 8:01 AM   in reply to customizer2

Sorry to say this customizer2, but using glossy display (this especially) in a bright room for editing images is not professional at all imho. Not saying it's your fault, but it's a really bad decision. Any kind of reflection turns glossy display into a mirror almost.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 11, 2012 10:34 AM   in reply to customizer2

One completely off the wall tip - you can use Jeffrey's Lightroom Configuration Manager to change the font to bold.  It may help you a little http://regex.info/blog/2007-03-13/395

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points