Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

adding more ram to 12GB 6 slot setup

Jul 11, 2012 11:10 AM

hey guys

on my motherboard I have 6 ram slots (3 pairs- a blue slot and black slot in each pair) only 4 of the slots are filled-- from some preliminary research I see that it is better to have all slots filled-

my question is right now there are 2-- 4GB sticks and 2-- 2GB sticks installed equalling 12 GB of ram- when I go out and buy should I buy 1-- 4 GB and 1--2GB and make sure all 3--4GB are in the blue slots and the 3--2GB in the black slots-does that matter at all or can the different slots/channels be populated with any combo of size as long as they are all filled up? (so I could just buy 2 extra 4GB sticks)

just in case here are my system specs

hp hpe 190t

i7 980x

12gb ram

GTX260

newly installed (by me!) 600 w corsair power supply (the 460 watt psu the system came with died after a year and a half- surprised it lasted that long))

3 1TB drives (1 for programs, 1 for scratch disks, 1 for projects/exports)

any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Tony

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 11, 2012 11:20 AM   in reply to TL2121

In order of preference:

• One Hex pack of 4 GB sticks
    • Two Tri-packs of 4 GB sticks
    • Two Tri-packs, one 4 GB and the other 2 GB sticks
    • Mix some sticks

Basically only option 1 is feasible, all the rest are compromises and can lead to mysterious hangs, BSOD's, freezes and data corruption.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 11:47 AM   in reply to TL2121

ps-- looks like from what you wrote I'll be buying a 16GB kit of 4 sticks 4GB RAM

Don't do that. I'm sorry if I was not clear, but you have two banks of three slots (blue and black) that are electrically distinct. Each bank need to be filled completely with the same sticks to optimize memory performance and preferably with identical sticks in both banks. Identical means a hex kit, tested and packaged to be used on a six slot mobo. If you buy a quad kit, you have one left-over stick. Seems like a waste of money to me. A tri-kit is cheaper. But two tri-kits do not guarantee you that they will work perfectly in the two banks. It may work, and it may not. Chances of two banks working happily together will increase if they are the same brand (G.Skill or Corsair), the same speed (DDR3-1600), the same type (Vengeance or Dominator) and the same production date from the same manufacturing plant.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 12:47 PM   in reply to TL2121

No, you need to go into the BIOS for that.

See: Adobe Forums: Overclocking the i7, a beginners guide

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points