Skip navigation
LWRCJohn
Currently Being Moderated

How does Editing/Rendering Use Resources

Jul 10, 2012 9:18 AM

Tags: #help #adobe #sequence #premium #of #render #ae #cs6 #timeline #events #uderstand #precess

Im trying to understand the exact  sequence of events that occurs as a video is rendered in order to more precisely tune my computer for video editing.  Ihave CS6 Production Premium ( or what ever its called this release.

I have 3 hard drive arrays on 2 separate Adaptec RAID and a Nvidia gtx680 in a dual Xeon Hex core 2.5ghz machine w/48gb of 1600.

I want to set up the most efficient I/O for Adobe but still struggle to understand the way the software processes video between the various files it creates.

You have the RAW video files ( 1volume) you have the Rendered Files ( 1 Volume for storing the rendered video) then there is things like the media cache, and the data base.  What kind of resources do these need, how do they relate to I/O, and How much bandwidth do they use... Also getting in to After Effects, whats the difference  between the media cache and disk cache? 

Any help on this would be great,  again Im looking for how all this ties together as a process so I can better tune my computers RAID volumes.

thank you in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 10, 2012 9:40 AM   in reply to LWRCJohn

I'm not sure if the CS6 benchmark is fully operational, so also go to the CS5 link

CS6 Benchmark http://ppbm6.com/

CS5 Benchmark http://ppbm5.com/

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 11:57 AM   in reply to LWRCJohn

The ideal is to minimize reading and writing to the same drive at the same time.  So here's a good real world setup.

C: System

D: Media

E: Projects

F: Scratch/Cache

G: Exports

H: Images (from Encore as Masters)

As you lose drives, you move the missing components up, so without H, you put Images on G.  Without G, you put Images and Exports on F.  Without F, you put Images, Exports and Scratch on E.

You don't want to go any less than E:

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 9:31 AM   in reply to LWRCJohn

See: Adobe Forums: Generic Guideline for Disk Setup

and Adobe Forums: To RAID or not to RAID, that is the...

and Adobe Forums: Raid Performance and Rebuild Issues

Jim has not yet seen the light on raid arrays, so he has a natural tendency to advise to only use single disks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 1:16 PM   in reply to LWRCJohn

Exports(what ever those would be...Same as rendered sequences?)

No.  Exports are what come out of Premiere Pro.  Rendered previews are part of the Scratch settings, and are for PP's internal use.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 1:18 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard
    Jim has not yet seen the light on raid arrays, so he has a natural tendency to advise to only use single disks.

Any one of the drives I mentioned can be a RAID, Harm.  I've no quarrel with that.  In fact with tapeless media, I do often recommend the Media drive be RAID 3.  None of this contradicts the spread as indicated.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 1:25 PM   in reply to LWRCJohn

break up that 8 drive volume

With a total of 13 drives, here's what I might recommend.

C: System

D: Media (x4, RAID 3 or 5)

E: Projects (x2, RAID 1)

F: Scratch/Cache (x2, RAID 0)

G: Exports (x2, RAID 0)

H: Images (from Encore as Masters) (x2, RAID 1)

THAT config would be screaming fast!  And would offer a good measure of security for the important stuff, the media and project files.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 9:27 AM   in reply to LWRCJohn

Post the drive sizes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 6:33 PM   in reply to LWRCJohn

No I meant the size of each individual drive (without making me do the math ).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 9:36 AM   in reply to LWRCJohn

OK, here's what I'd do.

C: System (80GB SSD x 2, RAID 1)

D: Media (1TB x 4, RAID 3 or 5)

E: Projects (300GB x 2, RAID 1)

F: Scratch/Cache (150GB x 4, RAID 0)

G: Global Cache (for AE) (80GB SSD x 2, RAID 0)

H: Exports (143GB x 4, RAID 0)

H: Images (300GB x 2, RAID 1)

This gives you data protection on the critical drives - System, Projects, Media and Images (Masters) - and speed on all of them.

On a side note, what the hell case do you have that can hold 20 hard drives!?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 12:03 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

On a side note, what the hell case do you have that can hold 20 hard drives!?

Just for your info, a simple Lian Li PC-A77 easily holds 17 3.5" disks and with different drive bays can hold 19 hard disks plus 2 BR burners.

The case I'm using for my new build can hold 31 3.5" HDD's, 4 SSD's and 2 BR burners and a multicard reader. See: Adobe Forums: Planning / building a new system. Part 1

Pictures are included to see what it looks like. This is without modding, but if you want you can easily add another 8 disks for 39 3.5" plus 4 SSD's plus 2 BR burners plus a multicard reader. Then you can add a pedestal for another 16 or more disks. It will not achieve the space of an Aberdeen Petarack, but for most this will suffice.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 2:26 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

a simple Lian Li PC-A77 easily holds 17 3.5" disks

That case is listed at one retailer as holding only "9 x Internal 3.5", not 17.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 2:36 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

You are forgetting 12 x 5.25" external bays. I currently have only 17 disks in that case. Anyway, the next one will be a bit better:

Magnum17.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 2:44 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

You are forgetting 12 x 5.25" external bays.

Not forgetting.  I just don't use them for internal 3.5" disks.  I use them for external 5" drives.

If I have 20 internal disks, I want 20 internal 3.5" bays, where they belong.  THAT case is something I've never seen.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 2:49 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

I use them for external 5" drives.

You mean you still use 5.25" hard disks or are there 5.00" drives? I never heard of them.

Look at the pictures in the link I gave you, 15 3.5" bays on the CPU side, 16 3.5" bays on the PSU side without any mods and without pedestal.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points