Skip navigation
brandtb
Currently Being Moderated

Color Shift After Sending .RAW file from LR4.1 to edit in PS6?

Jul 9, 2012 5:00 PM

I have been working with LR to PS edits for some time - early LR3/PS4 etc. etc. - and never a problem with any color changes from the view within LR and the view in PS. I recently installed PS6 Master Collection (just prior had been editing .raw files from LR4 in PS5) - and after sending the .raw file (.orf) into PS6 the image looks like someone had moved a "tint slider" about ten units to the green. I've looked into every colorspace issue, recalibrated, checked a number of forums and the LuLa LR4 tutorials and LuLa colorspace tuts as well - and can't find a fix. If I export the file as an original .raw - and then open up in PS through ACR e.g., the same color shift appears. I can send TIFFs from LR4 to edit in PS6 no problem. I can export the .raw file as a TIFF - and it looks fine in PS. I have updated all the relevant software this afternoon. I'm using a Windows 7 machine/12 gigs ram/Core i7. Any help/comments/suggestions/directions would be very much appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 9, 2012 5:32 PM   in reply to brandtb

A couple of questions. Is your monitor calibrated using a hardware device?  Lightroom by default, which cannot be changed, is using a variant of Pro Photo RGB as its color working space are you using the same color space in Photoshop?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 6:59 AM   in reply to brandtb

It seems to me that the issue is either:  there is something different with the image display between the two products, or the raw-file adjustment recipe data being sent from LR to PS/ACR is different/corrupted (slider values don’t match) from LR to ACR, or I guess there is a bug in LR or ACR where one doesn’t respond the same as the other to the same settings even though each is using the display subsystem correctly.

To check for that last case, can you confirm your PS-CS6 is using ACR 7.1, not 7.0?  And if you want, you could post a public download link to one of your ORFs so others can confirm if the situation happens on their computer setup or not. using dropbox.com or yousendit.com for example, if you don’t have your own large-file-hosting webspace.  You might post a side-by-side screen-capture showing the difference so others can see how much of a tint variation they’re looking for.

To check for display issues, go to the Performance area of PS-Preferences and toggle the Use Graphics Processor checkbox.  If that makes a difference, then enabled it and toggle each of the Advanced settings, to see which one is actually causing the problem if any.  You might also check for newer (or try using older) video drivers in case there is a bug somewhere in those.  If the issue doesn’t happen for anyone else, then that is likely where the issue is.

When going from LR to PS, ACR is used to render the image but is unseen, but when opening the image into PS from disk the ACR interface shows up.  Can you verify whether the color-shift is visible in ACR or only once the image is actually in PS? 

Do you have an opinion whether LR or PS is showing the right colors?

Are you using one of the standard Adobe-supplied profiles for your camera or is it one you created with the DNG Profile Editor or a similar program that uses an image from a color-checker to modify and existing camera profile?

If none of the above changed anything, you might post a screenshot of PS Color Settings with the More Settings expanded for others to comment on and suggest tweaks of.

|
    Mark as:
  • Andrew Rodney
    1,388 posts
    Apr 16, 2009
    Jul 10, 2012 7:40 AM   in reply to brandtb

brandtb wrote:

I use Spyder3 Elite 4.0.  I've tried using ProPhoto as the working colorspace in PS...still same problem

Do make sure that if there is a setting or preference for profile type (eg V2 or V4), you do not have the software set to build a version 4 ICC display profile.

As I wrote on LuLa, you have to view the LR image within the Develop module at 1:1 or greater! You can’t compare color correctly in the other modules. And the zoom ratio of the image should be matched within Photoshop as well, ideally in full screen mode (type the F key a few times).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 1:39 AM   in reply to brandtb

Just set your camera-raw defaults to Adobe Standard, then, right?  You wouldn’t want to be using those ancient ACR x.x profiles unless you were working with images from that long ago and didn’t want to change them.

You can set your ACR defaults via the menu that appears after clicking the tiny three-lines-arrowhead button at the top right of the title bar above the adjustment area.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 6:11 AM   in reply to brandtb

If there was an Adobe Standard profile in ACR 7.1 you shouldn’t have to set any default profile.  The color-profile selected in LR should carry over to ACR using Edit In PS regardless of how defaults are set in either program.

What exact camera model do you have?  Can you post an example of one of your ORFs for others to try on their systems, to test whether there is something wrong with ACR or something wrong with your system, somehow?

|
    Mark as:
  • Andrew Rodney
    1,388 posts
    Apr 16, 2009
    Jul 11, 2012 8:37 AM   in reply to ssprengel

I also don’t see how the profile would be the cause here. But using ACR to render (using Edit in Photoshop) adds another element to the mix. Why not just use Export in LR to a TIFF, then open that in Photoshop. Do they match? If not, well it certainly isn’t ACR or anything to do with profiles.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 1:26 PM   in reply to Andrew Rodney

The results for exporting as a TIF were described in the initial post…they match. 

The Adobe Standard profile is missing in ACR but not LR, and we don’t understand why, yet. 

The Adobe Standard profile is a single .DCP file shared by both LR and ACR and somehow ACR is not seeing it to use it, and is substituting one of the ancient ACR x.x profiles which are actually compiled into the ACR plug-in rather than being in external files. 

One idea would be that ACR cannot find any of the file-based profiles and thus only has the built-in ACR x.x ones available.   A test with another camera’s raw would help confirm this.  Then it could be some sort of corruption, in the file system, the ACR or Photoshop preferences file which could be reset or deleted to resolve the issue, or somewhere else that ACR looks for things that LR doesn’t.

|
    Mark as:
  • Andrew Rodney
    1,388 posts
    Apr 16, 2009
    Jul 11, 2012 4:32 PM   in reply to ssprengel

Time to reinstall Photoshop I suspect.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 6:44 AM   in reply to brandtb

I have LR 4.1 and (only) PS-CS6 installed on my computer and there are no Beta profiles for the Canon 5D Mark III so something is still wrong, and I would suggest that you get rid of the beta profiles to make sure all your

I don’t have the Master Suite so cannot search my own system to confirm what should be where in your particular scenario, so you might search your hard drive for the following file and see where it resides, with the asterisk there in case the word Beta is at the end of the name:

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Adobe Standard*.dcp

For me, the three locations this file resides are:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.1\Resources\CameraProfiles\Adobe Standard

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Adobe Standard

C:\Users\All Users\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Adobe Standard

Have you updated your ACR to 7.1 after installing the Master Suite or is the profile being picked up from some older profiles installed by ACR 7.1 Beta, perhaps?

The profile names need to match and not be beta versions in both LR and PS.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 12:22 AM   in reply to brandtb

If the Canon Raw folder that originally had less profiles also still contains any Beta profiles, still, you should remove those.  Hopefully they will all have Beta in their filename.  If you’re not sure what to delete, then maybe remove all the profiles in that folder and copy the entire set of profiles from the LR 4.1 location.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate and the contents of the All Users folder shared across all the users, an easy place to make a shortcut that everyone can use.  It used to be called Default in older versions of Windows and might be called Public on other systems, or maybe Macs don’t have this concept.  If you search your whole hard-drive for the beginning part of the 5D.3 camera profile filename then you’ll know how many places it might be.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 3:06 AM   in reply to brandtb

Hi All,

Not too sure if this thread is still going but it's the only one I've found that matches a problem I've found lately.  Like brandtb, I seem to get a colour shift when sending a raw file to CS6 from within LR4.

I've read through the thread and the suggestions posted have not resolved my problem.

My problem is that the image I see in LR has a colour shift and banding issue when viewed in CS6.  The same goes if I switch to CS5.  If the image is opened in ACR via CS6 or CS5 ( I open my images as smart objects) it looks the same as the LR copy. 

side_by_side.jpg

I hope it's possible to see. 

The image on the left is an edit within LR.  It looks exactly the same in ACR.  It also looks exactly the same if I export as a tiff and review it through Windows Photo Viewer.  The image to the right is as opened in CS6 ( I see the same problem if I go through CS5).  From my end I see a colour shift towards green and banding in the sky.

I see the same problem with other BW images as well as colour images.

So, my concern is if I want to do other edits after LR in PS, they end up looking wacky.

Note: PS and LR colour settings are the same / no incorrect colour profile in PS has been assigned / I've tried all suggestions posted in this thread without any luck.

Sorry for the long winded post, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points