Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No recognized audio in .M2TS files

May 25, 2012 May 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen a couple of different threads about this issue that have said the same thing but all have referenced AVCHD from various Sony Cameras. In my case my footage is from  HDPVR. Why the capture device would matter doesn't make any sense to me but regardless Premiere Pro CS6 doesn't just not import the audio... it doesn't recognize it at all. There is no mention of audio at all when looking at the properties.

My footage is recorded with AC3 (2 channel source)

As everyone else has said... there was no issue with 5.5 which is what I'm still using to edit since this is obviously broken in CS6.

I've yet to see a concrete solution anywhere. I was hopeful that a bug fix would be included in the update today but no such luck.

So what's the solution Adobe? Is there a bugfix coming? In the mean time I should just leave CS6 installed in hopes of an update to fix the issue?

Slightly Annoyed with this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 26, 2012 May 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How, exactly, are you importing the footage? Are you using the Media Browser? Does the footage come in an AVCHD folder structure? If so, then you need to make sure that you're not just importing the video essence file, which loses the connection to the audio data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 26, 2012 May 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm importing via the media browser. The footage is recorded with a Hauppauge HD PVR. All the capture produces is a .M2TS file... no folder structure. Just simply that single file. Doing nothing different than I did in 5.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 02, 2012 Jun 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it be possible for you to supply small sample file(s)? If so, I will PM you a location to upload them to. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah sure not a problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have PM'ed you the ftp location. Thank you for your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2012 Jul 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this solved? I'm having the same experience with my first import of AVCHD into CS6. The same files include audio in CS5, but not in CS6. Not that audio simply doesn't play -- it doesn't show up at all. Other AVCHD previously imported into CS5 does run audio and video in CS6 normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to get this out of the way early, I have two questions:

Did you Copy the full folder structure from the camera's card, to your HDD, or just the video files?

Did you allow the Conforming and Indexing process to complete 100%, before dragging the files to the Timeline? This ARTICLE goes into more detail.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and yes.  In fact, the same files opened in CS5 function normally.  But when opened into CS6, no audio comes across.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that information.

Now, is this a Project that was begun in an earlier version of PrPro, and then either Opened, or Imported into CS6, or is this a new Project, that you have just Imported Assets, common to Projects in both versions?

TIA, and good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A spanking new CS6 Project with new assets, not common to both versions.  I tried the new assets in a new CS5 Project when CS6 didn't import the audio. That's how I discovered the new assets function normally in CS5. And the trouble in CS6 is only with these particular assets, which is why it's maddening. Other video assets in the same CS6 Project -- GoPro files and video from a Nikon DSLR -- function normally!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, thank you for the clarification.

OK, I am rather out of ideas on the cause.

Let's do one more Q & A session please:

With MediaInfo, or similar, what are the specs. (especially the Audio Stream) on the files that do not Import properly, and also some of those that do? Any glaring differences?

The DD AC3 (2-channel) should not normally be an issue, but if we can find a difference, that might be helpful.

Hope that someone else has something to offer you, like Trent, and good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2012 Jul 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

audioInfoPanel-CS6.jpg  audioInfoPanel-CS5.jpg

Here are screen shots of the info panel for the same short clip opened in CS6 (darker) and CS5 (lighter).  Note that the clip has no audio info at all in PrPro CS6, and does have audio in PrPro CS5, where it functions normally.  I hate mysteries.  Is this helpful at all?  And Mr. Hunt, I'm deeply grateful for your guidance and assistance, by the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Rexel99 points out above, it DOES seem that something in CS 6 is not functioning, as it did in earlier versions. Why? I have no idea.

Is Adobe working on a fix? I cannot say, and await Wil, Todd, or another Adobe employee to comment on that.

The screen-caps that post are interesting. Not sure what they tell us, beyond CS 6 not seeing the Audio Stream, but that is what I am inferring from those images.

Yes, a mystery, and cannot even think of any more questions to ask. Maybe others will quickly see something that I am missing here.

Good luck, and thank you for all of the info.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed a recent PP6 update and my audio probllem seems to have been cured!  Thanx Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great info, thanks for adding that.

It seems that this is working for some people, although nobody has confirmed the reason for this - another third party app, driver or codec that exists may fix the problem. But in my tests I am using a clean Win7 (64 bit) with office, cs6 suite and Sony PMB. I have tried adding Sony's image/data converted plugins (which are mostly raw related) and a few extras such as Lightroom, VLC...

The suspicious thing is that 5.5 reads it on the same systems that cs6 does not.

A discussion at http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1045&message=41597098&changemode=1 indicates the issue with Photoshop (although why this person is doing video in photoshop I am not sure) and that getting Premier Pro /Master collection will include the codecs and enable the AC-3 decoding (which is otherwise blocked) required for this video format -  referring back to comments here http://forums.adobe.com/message/4284091#4284091 - maybe the ac-3 codec is still just block/disabled for some reason?

I cant find the other thread/conversation i also saw that mentioned about Pro including the full dolby codec that would help make it work...?

Is there a (simple) way to test perhaps if the codecs that are used/employed to do it are in fact installed and working? - I have played with codecs/muxers etc in the past, even when doing it though I was confused by what was happening...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using PrPro CS5 & CS6 on a 27-in iMac with OS X 10.7.4 and 16gb of maxed-out memory, 13 of which is dedicated to the CS products when open.  My Big Giant Mystery is that CS6 opens other HD assets shot the same way in the same camera both before and after the session currently not importing audio. CS5, on the other hand, opens these silent assets and they function normally.  So, in my case, only this one mute session is affected.  I hate mysteries!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

clean Win7 (64 bit) with office

Office suites have been known to mess with an edit rig.  Best to install that kind of software on a separate computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying that office IS a problem? Is there some specific cause that the office suite contributes to this issue?

I have never seen Office cause issues around audio decoding, and if it did, and that IS the cause then I think it should be identified and resolved. I am just being open about my environment and whats running here so if we can count that as a cause I would happily remove it.. if it's not an identified problem then at best it's a guess and at worst its unhelpful.

Sorry to be a bit abrupt there, but I have read through about 30 threads regarding this problem and most responses are left-of-field guesses which dont actually point to a cause or identify a reason - which is what i would like to get to the bottom of.

BTW, CS5.5 is importing the video file 'with' the audio on the same machine so the other apps installed wouldnt be my first thought on a cause. It might be office, it may be MS Security essentials, it may be live (with ms movie maker that comes installed now) it could be one of the 600 MS updates, it could be Firefox... so lets find the cause in respect to CS6 please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 13, 2012 Jul 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying that office IS a problem?

I'm saying it has been in the past, and it may be here as well.

It might be office, it may be MS Security essentials, it may be live (with ms movie maker that comes installed now)

Yep, best to get rid of them all on a production rig.

it could be one of the 600 MS updates, it could be Firefox

Far less likely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2012 Jul 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You keep talking of these production rig environments, although the software is designed for IBM based 'PC' computers which invarably have other programs installed. For one reason or another a PC is no longer setup for a single specific task, so environment wise, these things (unless specified) should work with other programs. Should a production rig environment not run the corporate Outlook email system, should it not be able to open the word based running sheets used within the business environment?

I am aware of things like office, or SP updates causing issues for apps like Finance1 that use specific level OBDC drivers, fine, bad programming or whatever but an identified conflict that can be avoided. For the CS suite however, I cant find or see that conflict - even if it has been a past issue I see no remarks that it is a concern now. Also removing an app (or provided windows tool) doesnt clean or avoid a problem like that, things that can not be undone. So if Adobe formally say that removing a part of the win install prior to the install then great, dont install office prior to premier, all well and good - but so far this has not been the case.

I came and commented on this forum for some idea of definitive solutions, even acknowledgment from Adobe would be nice before i commit to buying this significant upgrade from 5.5. At this point I can not see that Premier CS6 works with Sony .mts files and I cant tell why - so i wont be getting the upgrade or investing in the educational services for this (I am told) better product until I see that it is possible that it will work in my environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also concerned by this issue as I have a Sony A77 camera (among others that create .mts files) and am considering an upgrade from Premier 5.5 to CS6(.1) but in my testing I have not been able to get the audio for file imports working either.

I have tried;

- various project setups, defaults and with Audio 5.1 selected etc

- Drag videos to the project window, open through the browser both from a copied file and from the source (camera) and from a copied from camera to temp dir in it's entirety (ie with additional meta data files).

- Adobe Media Encoder wont open and convert the vids with audio either, nor will bridge

- Changing the device (camera) to record (lower quality) mp4 files import to Premier in any manner I wish to try, all with no audio problems

- The video files play fine (with audio) in Windows Media Player, VLC and Even Lightroom 4.1

- These same video files import with audio fine into CS5.5, but not in 6.

So my questions are...

- Does Adobe recognise that there is a problem here? That some, many, most .mts AVCHD video files are not loading into CS6 Premier Pro properly?

- Is there a workaround/solution? (that is established and please nobody please suggest a re-install of the app again)

- Is there a simple converter or way of modifying the mts file that works and is free? (anything from a rename to a re-encode that is tested)

There is way too many people talking about this problem for it not to be ignored and in cases where people are finding that it worked fine in 5.5 and now doesnt in 6, this is not a user problem, it is a technical problem specific to the CS6 app range, either with a codec support (ac3) not properly functioning or a related glitch and it needs to be fixed or resolved soon please.

Just to add:

VLC reports the video file properties as;

Video: h264 - mpeg-4 avc (part 10) (h264)

Audio: A52 Audio (aka AC3) (a52)

Chanels Stereo

Sample Rate 48000 Hz

Bitrate 256 kb/s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same type of file works fine for me on two systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2012 Jul 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. . MTS H264 50fps with AC3 audio (Panasonic SD90). AfterEffects CS6 has exactly same problem with audio in this format. I read and tried all the recommended things, but no result (AVCHD structure, media cache, reinstal, antivirus...). CS5 and CS5.5 absolutely no problem. Please help. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2012 Jul 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Audition CS6 can not open the audio from .MTS file (AC3) too. I thought, transferred the audio to another format and then insert into the Premiere CS6, but unfortunately it also does not. It is a very desperate situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines