Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

what is the best way to publish to avi, using Captivate 4

Jul 9, 2012 1:11 PM

I am trying to insert some Captivate simulations into another product for publication. Unfortunately, the swf files (my preferred option) do not play nicely with the other product. It has been recommended that I insert movies rather than swf files. I have been trying to publish via Captivate 4 to avi with unsatisfying results. If I use the default Indeo video format, I usually get an undefined error (even when resizing to all odd numbers or all even numbers). I can actually get an avi file to publish when using the Cinepak Codec; however, the video quality is rather poor. Also, I find that while the recorded narration files are okay, any background audio (typing and mouse clicks) get out of sync the longer the file runs.

I've seen some recommendations on installing XVid, but I tried that and could not figure out how to use it. If I install and reboot will it become an option with Captivate or will I need to use it in some other manner? (I'm not very techie about stuff like this).

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 10, 2012 7:52 AM   in reply to hlearn

Try publishing to SWF or FLV...then converting that to AVI using one of the many video conversion tools on the web (I mentioned 'Super' converter in some other thread).

When I check my CP4 install, I have two Indeo options. Do you? Try the other one?

OR, assuming you're on Windows, you can install Windows Media codecs:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=507

and after a restart, those should be listed below the default codecs as options.

Helps?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 9:59 PM   in reply to hlearn

Well...that's not encouraging. Maybe that sort of result is why publishing to such movie formats are no longer an option in Captivate

Of all those results, the audio sync I've seen before - it's a difficult process, apparently, to keep audio in sync when not publishing to a Flash format.

So, can you publish to FLV, then convert that to a different format? You may have better luck. There are many such converters out there. I've had luck with this for similar needs in the past:

http://www.erightsoft.com/S6Kg1.html

OR, of course, if you can publish to FLV and just use that file format for integration into "another product for publication", that would seem optimal...

Let us know how it goes...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 6:24 AM   in reply to hlearn

goto publish and on the left side there is an option that says media,select that and in Media option you will find AVI as an option,select that and publish.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 6:26 AM   in reply to Harry28586

Avi.JPG

Here is the image

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 6:31 AM   in reply to hlearn

go ahead and download the VLC media payer from google,its free from this link

http://download.cnet.com/VLC-Media-Player/3001-13632_4-10267151.html?s pi=cbc075f7469625bea94e366f50567779

and try and play the output.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 6:39 AM   in reply to hlearn

Avi is the universal format and if the third party tool is not accepting it,i think that is suppose to work.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 7:59 PM   in reply to hlearn

Ack, I hope it's there and I'm not misleading. Let me check tomorrow when I have access to a computer that still has CP4 installed...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 11:28 AM   in reply to hlearn

Ack! So sorry, totally slipped my mind!

Will see what I can find out today...

Sorry, the one computer with CP4 is in use! I'll try to check tomorrow. Apologies for the delays...

In the meantime, you can definitely export a project to FLV with CP5 or later. Would it be worth downloading a trial version, opening a copy of your project, and exporting to FLV with that?

Actually, in CP5+ the export is to 'F4V' but that's essentially the same thing (under the “Media” tab).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points