Skip navigation
Earthan
Currently Being Moderated

Target Frame Menu

Jul 11, 2012 6:41 AM

Hi

Setting the target frame to _blank to open the link in a new window does not work.

Please help.

Paul

Replies
  • mario_gudelj
    1,680 posts
    Oct 13, 2010
    Jul 11, 2012 7:18 PM   in reply to Earthan

It should. Do you have more info? Maybe a URL or something like that?

|
    Mark as:
  • mario_gudelj
    1,680 posts
    Oct 13, 2010
    Jul 11, 2012 7:35 PM   in reply to Earthan

I still have no clue which site you're referring to. I need the URL. If you don't want to publish it directly, try using bit.ly service.

Cheers,

-mario

|
    Mark as:
  • mario_gudelj
    1,680 posts
    Oct 13, 2010
    Jul 11, 2012 7:58 PM   in reply to Earthan

I see. You're using V2 menu module there and the admin interface does not embed stuff into it. You have a complete control over the markup in this case and you'll have to add the target attribute yourself to your HTML code inside the menu layout.

Cheers,

-mario

|
    Mark as:
  • mario_gudelj
    1,680 posts
    Oct 13, 2010
    Jul 11, 2012 8:21 PM   in reply to Earthan

"Why can I not just edit it in admin?" <<< because you're using menu module V2. If you go to your Home template and look at the bottom you'll find the menu module there and see that it's version 2. Version 2 does not have that feature. You have to add it yourself.

See this doc http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-1903 and the childitem.html.

If you want to add the target attribute you need to go to that layout and find this code:

<li {tag_menuitemidname_withid} {tag_menuitemcssclass_withclass}><a href="{tag_menuitemurl}">{tag_menuitemlabel}</a>{tag_menugroup}</li>

Then add target="_blank" to <a> tag.

But since you're not a developer it may be best for you to replace this menu module with a default menu module. That one is fully customizable through the admin interface.

Cheers,

-mario

|
    Mark as:
  • Liam Dilley
    6,716 posts
    Feb 28, 2012
    Jul 12, 2012 12:07 AM   in reply to Earthan

That is an odd thing to say.

You using a template that uses V2 menu module option to give you a lot more control then you would if you did not and your complaining?

You will have exactly the same with any other CMS including Wordpress if you do not understand the code.

The instructions in the doc and advise Mario gave is straight forward and easy to follow.

If you can not do this then just go to the templates with that module and use the module manager and insert the module in the older version menu way.

V2 menu's are awesome, can do so much more, great having the more control then you used to

|
    Mark as:
  • Liam Dilley
    6,716 posts
    Feb 28, 2012
    Jul 12, 2012 1:05 AM   in reply to Earthan

No, of course not.

The layouts are the layout for the menu you call which you specify in the menu. If that is called in templates then the change will be everywhere.

Then you just do the _blank in the admin on the menu as you see you want it (or even do say a rel="" in the layout and use external in the field instead for example) and your done.

I think you need to read through what Mario said to you again as well as the guide he linked and follow those through more.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 3, 2014 12:48 PM   in reply to Liam Dilley

I'm having the same issue but I need to make just one of the menu items in my nav bar "target=_blank" but keep the rest normal. How can I do this to just one li in my nav bar if its using v2?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 11, 2014 12:13 PM   in reply to mrdude42

I had the same issue Mr Dude.

{module_menu, version="2", menuId="755752", moduleTemplateGroup="Footer Nav"}

To clarify the above when using the Version 2 menu....

go to the develop tab-Module Templates-Find the menu you created- open childitem.html. You will see the layout code:

<li {tag_menuitemidname_withid} {tag_menuitemcssclass_withclass}><a href="{tag_menuitemurl}"   XXXXX  >{tag_menuitemlabel}</a>{tag_menugroup}</li>

Where I have the XXXXX insert   target="{tag_menuitemtargetframe}"

Go back to the menu you created in the admin, and insert  _blank  as the target frame on the item you want to open in the new window.

Otherwise, you can just insert the old version of the menu. {module_menu,755752} and it should be fine ( depending on your css and all that.)

Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points