• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where has the user defined variable pod gone?

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2009 Mar 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last week I used the User Defined Variable pod to define some user defined variables in a project.

Today I click View > Pods > User Defined Variables and nothing appears! Furthermore, on the Insert menu, the User Defined Variable option is greyed-out.

Has anyone experienced this before? What is the solution?

Regards

Ian Saunders

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I should have said that this is RH7.

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

Easiest solution is to File > Load Default Environment.

You say the insert option is disabled. When a topic has focus? Click in a topic and try again.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Your solution worked! Many thanks for your help!

I’m fairly sure that I had the cursor in a topic. Now it’s fixed, I can’t check...

Why would the pod disappear?

Best wishes

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chances are it didn't Ian but may have got "hidden" somewhere in the UI. You may want to save your own environment in case this happens again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possibly accidentally moved to somewhere in your layout where you couldn't see it.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thanks!

While we're on the subject, is there an easy way of replacing a text string with a user variable throughout all the topics in a project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use a find and replace tool such as FAR or BkReplaceEm if you know the code that RH would use for a variable. There is not other way inside RH without manually looking for the text string and replacing it with a variable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it is worth, RH8 has a script that does this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2010 Mar 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, you have once again saved me from having a meltdown!  The same thing just happened to me in RoboHelp 7.  All of a sudden I could get the Project Manager pod to open.  I uninstalled and reinstalled, and still couldn't.  Got an error and it shut down when trying to load my environments.  So I loaded the default environment, and voila!  It worked.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2012 Jul 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I echo ginafromtampa's comment. Just had the same thing happen in RH8.

FYI in RH8 it's File/Environment/Load Default Environment.

So many thanks to Peter for this nugget of life-saving info.

I'm still a bit surprised I had to do this though - all I did was close all pods to maximise my editing window space.

Then upon trying to reset everything -> forget it, I didn't even have the View/Pods menu item (in fact I still don't).

Is this (dare I say it) a slightly flaky GUI? or have I done something stupid?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not the great and powerful Peter, but hopefully youl find this helpful.

Right-click the menu and choose Customize... Then from the General tab, ensure the Menu Bar is selected and click the Reset... button.

Dismiss the dialog and see if things are better.

If it helps, I've spent time with Peter on a few occasions. Perhaps that helps my credibility?

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tee hee - pay no attention to the Rick behind the curtain !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick jests. He's the man who taught me a lot of what I know and who will always remain king of the these forums.Rick has posted more replies than anyone else ever has and likely ever will.

There are more than a few people who owe Rick for helping them along the way career wise and I am one.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

That did the trick nicely. Many thanks for that.
I've just clicked the "Was this helpful - Yes" link on your post, so hopefully you'll get some extra chocolate or something now.

Blimey, where would we be without forums eh? Anyone remember life pre-internet? Now there's a scary thought...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

tumbleweed.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp