Skip navigation

The Mac CS6 "Serious Error" thread

Jun 3, 2012 9:12 AM

Latest reply: deepansh1989, Oct 18, 2013 9:03 AM
Branched to a new discussion.
Replies 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 5, 2012 12:45 PM   in reply to Crapule Création

Brand new system last week (MacBookPro), with NOTHING installed except Production Premium CS6.

4 Kernel panics in the last 20 mins.   I'm REALLY getting tired of this.

Canon MXF (XF100) single viddeo track, dual mono audio (collapsed), litterally 15 seconds long.  Ripple trim the start, ripple trim the end - panic - 4 times.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2012 5:01 PM   in reply to benwinter

I think I've identified the problem on my machine, and it is in fact the configuration of my display monitors. I posted before that I played musical chairs with my monitor connections between my two graphics cards. Today I tried switching them back to their original configuration and Premiere crashed instantly. Can anyone get Premiere to stay opena and not crash if you leave it running while switching montor connections around?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 7:14 AM   in reply to benwinter

After weeks of only getting two Serious Errors, all of a sudden yesterday, six or eight hours into a session, I started getting them after one simple operation, such as moving the CTI, playing a clip in the Source tab, moving a parameter on a VST audio plug in, etc.  I got about eight in a row, between relaunches of Pr.

So, I did the Full Monty on my system: Disk Warrior, Repair Permissions, un/reinstall of Pr, Trash Prefs, scan media for corruption using Digital Rebellion's Corrupt Clip Finder (no corruption found).  That seems to have vanquished them enough to finish my project, which took another hour or two, without more errors.  And haven't had one since.  I'm mostly using Pr to "offline."  Sending the clips to Ae to composite, render and return to Pr for a final audio mix and master.  IOW, I'm not doing heavy duty work in Pr.

A lot of people on this thread are doing some athletic conclusion jumping as to the cause of this error.  Personally, I'm not seeing a trend.  I'm starting to think that Serious Error is just a general, non-specific message we see any time there's an application crash.  It could refer to any number of errors.  Viewing the crash logs that have been posted so far seems to be evidence for this.  If there was a specific trigger, my rudimentary experience with crash logs tells me that there would be some similarities in the first ten lines or so.  I'm not seeing that.  If some smarter Adobe engineering type person knows differently, please enlighten all of us.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 12:18 AM   in reply to benwinter

When I first installed Pr CS6 it was unusable due to frequent "serious error" crashes during editing, after reading this and other forums I decided to put my original GT120 card back into the MacPro (4.1, OS lion) alongside the GTX285 card, and use only the GT120 as  monitor feeds, and this seems to work, no more crashes so far. This is not much help to those using a MBP but might be worth a try for editors using the MacPro.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 7:27 AM   in reply to craney

I have a new theory now, that I'd like some others to test.  This is based on the fact that I'm not seeing what we in the Serious Error Club have in common, as far as hardware and software.  But, one thing most if not all of us do have in common is that we generate Preview Files.

Next time you get a serious error, delete all your Preview Files.  Then see what happens.

This might be a tough pill to swallow for those with long projects and time invested in rendering Previews, but when I ran Corrupt Clip Finder the other day, the only corruption it found was in Preview Files.  Worth a shot, maybe.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 7:35 AM   in reply to Jim Curtis

Jim, while that's a semi-reasonable things to try, I've had the error within a couple of minutes of starting a new project and no render files exist.

Also, if you delete your render files and you don't get another serious error for a while, does that mean it 'was' the render file or just something else that caused it that didn't happen again anyway ?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 7:41 AM   in reply to ExactImage

I erased my preview files along with my prefs. after every crash. I described this as well as how I became crash free earlier in this thread. Mac pro 5,1. still no crash or error.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 7:42 AM   in reply to ExactImage

Software troubleshooting is often a case of eliminating the usual suspects. 

Another possibility is corrupted cache files or preferences.  I've also started deleting them on a regular basis as well.  Since they include the .pek files, this can make projects take longer to open, but it beats the alternative of constant crashing.  I worked on Ae and Pr for about six hours since my last post (Full Monty, above), and haven't experienced another SE crash so far.  I failed to mention that I deleted my Previews and Caches in the meantime.

FWIW, DiskGenius hasn't found my Pr prefs to be corrupt, but that doesn't mean they're not causing problems.  Corrupt Prefs are one of the most common causes of application misbehavior.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 6:22 AM   in reply to needles27

I suppose I'll chime in on this sad little discussion. I just installed Premiere Pro CS6 yesterday and started using it on a trial basis. Unfortunately, I don't have a video card that supports GPU acceleration with PPCS6, so I'm just using software rendering. After working with it for a few hours, trying out many of the features and really pushing the realtime playback capabilities, I had not a single issue. This morning, I updated to 6.0.1 and encountered a "serious error" very quickly. I can duplicate the issue with the same sequence of events: 1) Open the same project I was working on yesterday, 2) Create a new DSLR preset sequence, 3) Try to add a merged clip to that sequence. The initial error message points to this as the problem:

"[/Volumes/BuildDisk/builds/tightykilt/shared/adobe/MediaCore/Backend/ Make/Mac/../../Src/Sequence/TrackItem.cpp-189]"

My plan now is to uninstall and try to reinstall 6.0.0 to see if that fixes anything.

Hardware/Software Setup:

Mac Pro

2 x 2.66 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon

24GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD 5870

NVidia Geforce GT120

1 TB Boot Drive with 700GB free

750GB Scratch Disk with 500GB free

OS 10.7.4

CS 5.5 Master Collection Installed

CS 6 Premiere Pro, Bridge and Extension Manager Installed

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 9:28 AM   in reply to jvon42

There's the same Radeon HD / GT120 combination again. jvon, can you try unplugging the monitor(s) from one card and only using the other, or switching monitor plugs? See what that does? Although, I've never seen the TrackItem error before.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 9:33 AM   in reply to needles27

needles27 wrote:

I'll be curious to see if you still get the errors with 6.0. 

I have gotten them in 5.5.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 10:05 AM   in reply to Jim Curtis

I'm still getting them in Pr CS5.5.  Solved my other issue, which was the waveforms in timeline clips, but now that's not the problem anymore.  Never updated to CS6.0.  Still on OSX 10.6.8.  Just keeping an eye on this forum to see what you all figure out.  In the meantime, I went back to FCP7 because it works. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 10:27 AM   in reply to footagehead123

Now I'm really confused. You got the "serious error" message in CS5.5? Regularly? I can understand encountering that every now and then on a fluke — what software doesn't have it's glitches? FCP7 crashes all the time, but I can't usually duplicate the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 10:35 AM   in reply to benwinter

There's the same Radeon HD / GT120 combination again. jvon, can you try unplugging the monitor(s) from one card and only using the other, or switching monitor plugs? See what that does?

Unfortunately, that didn't change anything. I had two monitors connected to the Radeon HD, as it's the faster video card, so I switched both to the GT120 and was able to duplicate the same error.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 10:38 AM   in reply to jvon42

jvon42 wrote:

Now I'm really confused. You got the "serious error" message in CS5.5? Regularly?

Not regularly... occasionally.  CS5.5 is pretty solid on Mac.  My main complaint with it was the lack of a real external monitoring solution, and scrubbing the CTI is very unresponsive and frame droppy.  Otherwise, I got a lot of work done with it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 11:17 AM   in reply to Jim Curtis

FYI, I found a direct fix for my "serious error." I was encountering the problem when dragging a merged clip from the project pane to a new DSLR 1080 30p sequence. Apparently, I had an in and out point set on the merged clip. All I had to do was clear the in and out, and no error message.

Because it was so easy to work around, I'm thinking maybe my "serious error" was diferent from the rest of you. For that matter, maybe that's why most of the people posting on this thread have no hardware/software configurations in common — because your error messages are caused by different bugs. Is it possible "serious error" is just a generic message related to many different problems?

I'll certainly come back here if I run into another "serious error" while experimenting with Premiere CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 6:37 PM   in reply to jvon42

I was getting the serious error almost right after start up.  I gave up after that.  Too busy cutting in FCP7 to go back and try to figure it out again.  It could be a simple non-compatible action or function for me as well, but I'll have to return to it later. 

It does appear that everyone's issues are different bugs/problems. 

I agree with Jim, if not for the serious error, the "lack of a real external monitoring solution, and scrubbing the CTI is very unresponsive and frame droppy." is definitely annoying, when FCP7 has all of that without a problem for me.  My FCP doesn't crash all the time either, unlike jvon42.  I wish I could upgrade to CS6, but my machine is just barely too old.  In the end I might have to wait to give Pr a proper chance until I upgrade the machine. 
    When I find some time, I'll try it again... good luck y'all

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 11:48 AM   in reply to needles27

Arrgghh!!!   OK - so now the last Serious error has also broken my sound - with my audio muted and grayed out too.   Even iTunes won't play and is stuck at 00:00.

This is NOT a hardware problem.  I have a dual boot system and if I boot in to Snow Leopard the audio works fine.  It's broken in this installation of Lion.

I've tried running the script (located elsewhere on this site) that is supposed to restore it - and it does - once in three or four tries.   I've also tried doing all SMC resets etc and nothing works.

Thanks to who wrote this particular bug.  It's about to cost me 24 hours of restoring a full system, hopefully to find it works again but if not I'm going to be pretty peaved as I have a deadline looming.

Does anyone know what got corrupted on the HDD to cause this audio muting?   It can't be hardware otherwise Snow Leopard would be broken too.

The thing that makes it worse is that no one from Adobe is even acknowleding that these problems exist, let alone saying they are working on a fix.  Even knowing they are working on it would help..... but the silence makes me worry that they are going to leave it until CS6.5 comes along.   Come on Adobe - someone - please speak up!   You are about to lose another customer.  You may not care about one, but one turns in to two, then ten, then a hundred, a thousand and so it goes. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 12:30 PM   in reply to ExactImage

I agree...I have the same audio issue, along with others   MP 10.7.4  Also tried running the Script with little joy.

So far I am sticking with rebooting, sometimes several times to get it to work. Very frustrating to say the least, but I am not getting Serious error messages, well only 1 so far.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 1:30 PM   in reply to geonew1952

The routine I posted earlier to fix the muted audio still works for me 8 times out of 10. Last time, however, the mute symbol in the menu bar stayed gray even after the audio returned.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 2:05 PM   in reply to genefama

Well, fortunately I've managed to do a partial restore from Time Machine (just the boot drive) from last night and everything is back to normal - so this is definately a file / lion thing. 

Next time it happens I'm going to try to figure out what changed between 'now' and the last time machine backup.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 2:13 PM   in reply to genefama

genefama wrote:

The routine I posted earlier to fix the muted audio still works for me 8 times out of 10. Last time, however, the mute symbol in the menu bar stayed gray even after the audio returned.

I don't know if this will help with the folks that are having audio problems, but theres a utility in Digital Rebellion's Pro Maintenance Tools System Toolkit that will flush the Audio Component and Unit Caches.  Highly recommended suite of apps for Mac users.  I use the Preference Manager a LOT, since the prefs on Pr get corrupted at the drop of a hat.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 2:15 PM   in reply to needles27

needles27 wrote:

Maybe Mountain Lion will make all of our problems magically disappear....

That's HILARIOUS!

I expect a whole new crop of problems, incompatibilities, crashes and lock-ups.  I won't jump until 10.8.4, most likely.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 2:15 PM   in reply to needles27

@needles27 - Ha!  I'm not holding my breath - nor will I be an early adopter finding the 'new' problems before they are well documented either.

It took me 8 months to upgrade to Lion..... I'm not going to be doing ML unless I see lotsof people telling me all the problems are fixed and there are no new ones

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 2:25 PM   in reply to needles27

needles27 wrote:

I want to quit editing.

agreed......

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 3:44 PM   in reply to RBemendo

I have noticed the audio muting issue on my MBP (early '08) OS 10.7.4 as well. Only after installing CS6 did this occur. See my earlier post for more info on my procedure. Anyway, I only have the audio issue once in a while lately and my quick fix is just logging out of Lion, then relogging in and it works everytime. Much easier than doing a full reboot or trying to run the "script" as some people are doing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 4:12 PM   in reply to EditorPete

Oh, FFS!  It just happened AGAIN!   Audio is muted for the MacPro on the line out for everything EXCEPT Premiere Pro this time!  

Following a reboot, the first and ONLY program I ran was Premiere Pro.  It crashed almost immediately and did not display the usual 'Initializing xyz' modules.   The audio speaker icon on the top bar changed to the muted icon.    I forced quit Premiere Pro and rebooted.  Now Premiere Pro has audio output and everything else is muted.

Does Premiere Pro insert something in to the audio chain that cold cause corruption like this?   Perhaps some one from Adobe could comment.   I will be filing a bug report right now .....!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 8:41 PM   in reply to Jim Curtis

Thanks Jim, but "Tools Systems Toolkit" is the kind of product naming that makes me want to run in the other direction.

Problems like the audio-kill are a lot like viruses. They bleed acid. They're even impervious to full systems re-installs or backdating to "Bobcat 9.2." Permission and preference patches are unlikely to work. I'm not ready to jack my entire system trying to solve something that turns out to be some setting somewhere that Adobe missed in its beta testing.  Are you?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 9:58 PM   in reply to needles27

It seems to be getting worse for me.  I'm on a deadline and I had premiere cs6 crash 6 times within 2.5 hours today..on a simple :30 spot (all ProRes files).  The computer locks up in a full Kernel Panic.

My system:

Macbook Pro i7 2.2 GHZ (17") 8gb RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB

1x 256 SSD, 1x 500gb HDD

That makes about 15 times total over the past 5 days.  I'm running cs6 on my MacPro and iMac and so far the iMac has crashed once with cs6 and the MacPro hasn't had any issues.

I hope Adobe releases a fix soon, this is getting incredibly frustrating.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 10:45 PM   in reply to genefama

No words from Adobe until this day..??

The problem must be a serious big deal, maybe related to the new Mercury engine.. But, why it attacked the audio system & iTunes (maybe Quicktime related)?

I hope they'll find the culprit soon and enlighten us here.

Or at least say a word. Hello?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 1:30 AM   in reply to Strillogy

It is certainly getting worse for me on this project too.    17 crashes in one day and 4 of them have caused the audio mute that NOTHING sems to resolve other than a full restore from a Time Machine backup.

I've tried the killall coreaudiod....

I've tried the stop / start service....

I've tried the midi audio settings....

I've tried rebooting and running scripts....

A full restore from a Time Machine backup is theonly thing that fixes it for me.   An that takes 2Hrs 5 mins from the most minimalized Time Machine I could created on this system.  So that's 4x2Hrs lost productivity..... not to mention all the ther crashes that didn't cause the audio problem.

Can you have SOME feedback from Adobe on this PLEASE ? 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 8:47 AM   in reply to ExactImage

Has anyone updated the recent update?  At least I think it is a recent one, just checked this morning to see if there was one......"CSXS Infrastructure 3.0.2 update."

Don't know anything about it, wondering if this can help any of us?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 9:36 AM   in reply to EditorPete

My audio stopped working yesterday.  First time for me.  Deleting the audio devices preferences in my User Library brought it back.

In my experience, Kernel Panics have been caused after installing a driver.  Disk Warrior stops them.

If DW doesn't do it for you, reinstall your drivers.  You have drivers for each PCI card you have installed - RAID, graphics, audio, etc.  Then run DW again.

However, you don't need to install graphics drivers in 10.7.  They're built into the OS. 

You're probably risking more problems by installing nVidia drivers.  This is a guess on my part, because I didn't install any nVidia drivers, and I'm not plagued by Serious Errors as some of you are.  I've only had two or three with CS6, and my routine afterwards was to run DW, Repair Permissions, and delete all my caches and preview files.  I reinstalled Pr once, but that may have been overkill.

There's a thread on the Adobe site about Serious Errors in another app.  They suggest that rolling back to 10.7.3 is a possible fix, due to a video driver issue.

Google "adobe serious error."  You'll see that it plagues many of their apps, and it appears to be a general error that tells you nothing about what you can do to fix it.

And I don't think this recent update does anything to address the Serious Errors.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 10:21 AM   in reply to Jim Curtis

Jim Curtis wrote:

My audio stopped working yesterday.  First time for me.  Deleting the audio devices preferences in my User Library brought it back.

Jim, can you be more specific about the files you deleted? All I have in Library-->Audio are some more empty folders.  No files.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 10:37 PM   in reply to needles27

Well I'm trying to finalize another edit today and in the past 35 minutes I've had 4 full Kernel Panics (this screen: http://km.support.apple.com/library/APPLE/APPLECARE_ALLGEOS/TS3742/TS3 742_01_KP-001-en.jpg).

It happens randomly when scrubbing video, triming clips, moving audio, etc, etc.  This is driving me nuts! I have to finish this edit, but having to restart and lose my work every 5 minutes is not helping.

|
    Mark as:
1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (6)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points