**I have thoroughly searched the DPS forum, tutorials, blogs, white papers and Lynda.com to no avail, so if the items below have been addressed elsewhere, kindly provide a link**
I'm developing a text-heavy document for the iPad that will have, let's say, 56 pages and 16 articles (ten articles with five 1024x768 pages each, and six articles with one super-long page each). It's a pretty consistent file that uses the same master pages and styles (type and object). I am starting in landscape and will then develop the portrait version using liquid layout. I'm working in CS6. Here's what I can't figure out:
(1) What is an article in Folio Builder? Is it related to the articles palette?
(2) What is a Layout in the Article? (
(3) Should I be using the articles palette?
(4) Do I need different documents for each article?
(5) Where do I set the size for different pages in the Folio Builder, like for those 6 articles where I want it to smooth scroll vertically for the length of 2000-4000 pixels?
(5) Can I change my folio size if it's already been set? Or do I need to start over? I started at 2048x1536, but since it's mostly vector-based, I should be fine with PDF format.
(6) If I'm developing different renditions of the same articles (H+V versions for iPad, iPhone, Kindle), do I build them in separate InDesign files from each other? If so, that would make 96 files (16 articles x 6 renditions).
(7) If I need to work in separate InDesign files, should I use the Book feature? No one has mentioned it in in practice, so I don't know if that would create problems. I'd like to keep a single set of masters and styles to prevent inconsistencies. Other solutions welcome.
Here are some of the error messages I received:
I fixed this by removing pages that were too long for the sake of the test.
I didn't have facing pages turned on in the Document Setup, but I had turned off page shuffling to see pages side by side. Also, my document was set up at 2048x1536, but my master pages were resized to 1024x768.
Not sure why I got this one.
Before you continue, I recommend that you go through some of the getting started videos and resources:
i would suggest simply starting at the DPS main product page. On that page, under the title 'Help' is a link 'Help & Support', click on that and you end up at a page 'Digital Publishing Suite Help'. At the top of the page is a search field, type in the word 'folio' and it returns the following, "A folio includes one or more digital publishing articles. A folio appears as an issue in the library of either the Adobe Content Viewer or a custom multi-issue ..." and links through to more info.
2 clicks and there is the information you have neen unable to find!
I think you will find the forum a great source of help with problem solving once you have read through all the documentation already provided on the Adobe website.