Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 Help is not so useful

May 7, 2012 1:39 PM

The new CS6 Help is harder to use. What happened?

I tried to search for ~CS6 looks~ but I don't get AE CS6 results. Same for ~CS6 3D~. That could cramp my style, or maybe some others. Help is not so useful if you can't search it!

Some items of note:

- I'm missing the "search this doc" checkbox.

- the AIR app didn't install correctly but I never want to see it again anyway.

- There's no PDF I can find either.

Rich Young

webite: AE Portal

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/ryoung

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 7, 2012 2:21 PM   in reply to aefilter

Hi, aefilter,

Thanks for your feedback. We're working to search optimize the CS6 content, but clearly have more work to do.  Comments on your items of note:

- Missing "search Help only" checkbox:  we're investigating this right now.

- AIR app problems: would you tell us more specifics of the problem you experienced?

- The PDFs are not available yet--but will be soon. While it doesn't help with CS6 new featuers, you can access the CS5.5 PDF here.

Thanks,

Kirsti

Adobe Community Help & Learning team

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 7:16 AM   in reply to aefilter

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the note. I totally agree with you. The Help Manager has absolutely no added value as a separate application now.

First of all, one can no longer perform a search. Moreover, the Help function from any CS6 application effectively works as a hyperlink to a web page. There is not even a direct link to the (off-line) pdf help document, because there aren't any yet.

Cheers,

Dave

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 11:22 AM   in reply to d.p.middleton

Hi, Dave,

Can you be more specific about the problem "one can no longer perform a search"?  We are right now fixing the problem that search is not specific to one product, and should have a solution shortly.  Is there a separate problem?

Regarding the purpose of Help Manager, it serves to install the offline PDF--so will be of use as soon as we release PDFs.

By the way you can also access the CS5/CS5.5 PDFs by selecting "Previous version" on a product help hub such as:

htttp://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects.html

Thanks,

Kirsti

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 2:10 PM   in reply to aefilter

Fair enough!  Point taken.  We are actively working on this problem.

--Kirsti

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 2:28 PM   in reply to Kirsti Aho

Hi Kirsti,

Thanks for getting back to me. No, there is no seprate problem; I am re-iterating the same as aefilter.

Cheers,

Dave

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 2:57 PM   in reply to d.p.middleton

I'll post as soon as we have fixes or further insights.

--Kirsti

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 10:25 AM   in reply to Kirsti Aho

I am searching for help with this issue, after having watched my Help.app "spin" for a half hour, and then a separate time, over an hour before closing it - I had hoped to get the updates for local help promised, but so far, no luck.

I'm in CS6 Creative Suite.

I'm on hold with tech support...

And meanwhile am checking other help topics here. The best I found gives steps for PC, but I'm on a Mac.

Another screen here says "A help PDF will be available in June" but we're almost mid-way through June and there's not link to a PDF or any steps for aquiring it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 10:30 AM   in reply to coyleart

Indeed, no new pdf available yet.

Cheers,

Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 11:02 AM   in reply to coyleart

Hi Coyleart:  to resolve the spinning of the Help Manager, follow the steps outlined here: http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/help-application-doesnt-updat e.html

In particular, make sure to delete the following directory:

Mac OS: /[user name]/Library/Preferences/chc.4875E02D9FB21EE389F73B8D1702B320485DF8CE.1

This should delete any corrupt cache files, etc.

Also, please be aware that we made several important changes to the behavior of the Help system in CS6. In particular, Help will display in your web browser -- not the Help Manager.  For more information, please see:  http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/community-help.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 5:20 PM   in reply to Mark Nichoson

Here are links to the documents for all CS6 applications, in both PDF and HTML format:

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2010/08/help-documents-for- creative-suite-5-pdf-and-html.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 2:13 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

This is NOT a help file

We serious custumers need SERIOUS help .

what is going on I never saw such a thing before releasing a software without a proper help .

ADOBE are you kidding on us ???

We are professionnal buying you software so be professional to.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 3:14 PM   in reply to Kirsti Aho

I really don't understand the direction adobe choose to take with the help manuals for cs6.

For example, the downloadable pdf help for photoshop cs6 looks to be nothing more than the html help file

which is all lumped together with cs5 references and very incomplete in the coverage for photoshop cs6.

But a few examples:

The toolbox screenshot and descriptions of all the tools are for cs5 with no mention of the new tools in cs6.

I.e there is no 3d tools gallery in cs6, but how is a first time user of photoshop supposed to know that.

Where is the Content Aware Move tool?

Where is the Perspective Crop Tool?

The section on the Liquify filter lists several tools that are not in cs6 such as the mirror tool

and the Reconstruct options, there is only one reconstruct option in cs6.

I could go on and on, but the point is that when the help says for cs6, people expect the features for cs6 to be covered and they are not by a long shot.

How are first time users supposed to make heads or tails of the help info when features shown are no longer in the current production version of photoshop cs6.

No mention is made on those pages as to the features that don't apply to photoshop cs6 and thus new users may think there's something wrong with my cs6

when in fact there is not.

Being one of the contributors to the the photoshop forum, it's very frustrating to not be able to point people to the relevent sections of the cs6 help manual

because they don't exist as they did for prior versions of photoshop or cover things that don't apply to cs6.

On a side note the pdf we got when beta testing was much more complete about the new features than the present cs6 help manual.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 2:58 PM   in reply to aefilter

Just downloaded and installed the newly available pdf (offline) versions of the "Help and tutorials" in "Adobe Help Manager".

I read the documentation and have to conclude that I am still not happy with it.

Some time ago, I posted an example of the lack of a sufficient image trace manual in Illustrator CS6. I was looking for the documentation on the advanced features of the new image trace functionality. It just wasn't there and it still is not.

The direction Abobe has taken with the CS6 product documentation is worrisome:

• Since when does a product ship before a manual has been completed? Apparently that's since CS6. Once again, if the manual isn't ready, the product cannot ship. Be glad it's CS6 and not your car.
    • What we have since CS6 is a form of release notes where differences between versions explain what has changed.
    • This should not replace a proper manual where all functionality is comprehensively described and explained as to be accessible to both new and existing users. This means that the manual should refer to CS6 functionality and not a collage of different version manual pages.
    • Also a manual should be complete. The CS6 manual in some cases is still missing (in-depth) topics; even on some new CS6 features.
    • The pdf "Help and tutorials" seems to have become a pdf bundle of the Adobe help webpages. It's probably cheaper to produce and it shows.
    • I have the impression that in some cases, tutorials will replace written manual texts. Sometimes, I do not want to sit through a video tutorial but use the manual to quickly search and read my information. That is what manuals are for.

If this is the aspired state of the "Adobe Help Manager", I have to conclude that it has absolutely no added value to me.

Cheers,

Dave

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 9, 2012 7:11 AM   in reply to R_Kelly

R_Kelly, could you please contact me by private message? or would you prefer email?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 10:36 AM   in reply to aefilter

aefilter wrote:

The case is the same for After Effects. Why there's a 2-year old section on "What's New in CS5", one can only guess. It seems that even outsourcing wasn't considered seriously.

That sort of thing, and the failures on other fronts, shows that Adobe is not interested in delivering professional documentation. Maybe they are expecting a mass exodus away from professional apps to mobile apps?

What's new in CS5 It was created in the CS5 Help era. It is still helpful to see which features were added in CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 2:45 AM   in reply to d.p.middleton

I downloaded the Help files also and I am very disapointed.It's a reference, that cannot be searched. It's pretty much useless. The premiere Pro CS6 basic video tutorials from Andrew are good, but also there you cannot search what you are looking for.

Where are my manuals????

12 years ago I bought Adobe premiere 6.0 The complete set of manuals came with it. And I needed them. At that time one could even ask for help by email and Adobe answered within 48 hours!!! Then 4 years ago I upgraded to Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 with a complete set of manuals that made the transition really smooth, most of the problems could be solved with the manuals. No more email help from adobe

But now I upgraded to CS6 and cannot find help, for no manuals were shipped with it. I don't mind reading manuals in pdf, if they are searchable, but just a bare reference, that one cannot search for,  is not enough if you have problems. And the online help in the forums is not enough.

So when is Adobe coming out with the manuals for Adobe Premiere Pro and Encore CS6, that can be searched???

I also was missing my upgrade to onlocation in the CS6 version. Now I have only the CS3 version of onlocation.

Are there advanced video tutorials for CS6?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 8:44 AM   in reply to thanmartin

Hi - you should be able to use the search function in Acrobat or Reader to search through the PDFs.  Are those products not available on your system?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 8:32 PM   in reply to Mark Nichoson

Mark,

after update the search box was there, so I can search, but when I look at the help it only gives some very basic instructions and probably more information in the links. So most of the help are links to articles on the web. It sucks if you are offline, like me for three days, where I was cut of internet

Greetings

Martin

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 11:02 AM   in reply to thanmartin

yup.

I'm working through the Ps one at the mo.

I guess indexing and content organisation can be improved hugely.

Perhaps an Adobe person can explain the logic to the current structure and how these files are meant to work?

You may want to consider line length too.

The accepted norm is between 50-65 characters per line. This doc has an average of twice that, seriously affecting legibility.

ta

mj

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 2:51 PM   in reply to mean mr mustard

Hi, Mohammedjogie,

I want to make sure that you have the latest Photoshop Help PDF.  You can find it here.

We've added and augmented dozens of articles in the last few months.

It does have a table of contents, created as a series of clickable topics and articles. 

Make sure that you have the bookmarks panel open on the left of the window to see the TOC.

Based on user feedback this summer, we reorganized the topic structure (as shown below in the left bookmarks panel).

PS CS6 PDF with bookmarks-2.jpg

Thanks for the feedback on the line length.  The PDF is a snapshot of the online HTML files, and we have had challenges limiting the characters displayed.

Please feel free to give more specifics on the organization.  We will continue to make improvements based on user feedback.

Kirsti

Adobe Community Help & Learning team

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 1:01 AM   in reply to Kirsti Aho

Cool Kirsti,

I'm busy downloading it.

I'll check it out and give you feedback.

Thnx for the quick response.

I'm impressed.

tc

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points