Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

layers palette not working?

Jul 12, 2012 8:41 AM

Tags: #cs6

when i select paths in pen tool.....the layers palette is not working only paths palette is working....layers palette gets locked......i m using photoshop cs 6.....plz help fast....

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 12, 2012 9:08 AM   in reply to baty gill

Could you please post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels visible?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 9:19 AM   in reply to baty gill

What exact features are you talking about?

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,971 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jul 12, 2012 1:40 PM   in reply to baty gill

baty gill wrote:

when i select paths in pen tool

Please explain what your doing

select paths in pen tool

The only thing I see grayed out in your capture is opacity and fill which are locked at 100% for the background layer does not support transparency. And you can not hide the background layer when its the only layer in a document.

Other controls may also not be useable for you only have a background layer it makes no sense to even try to use then. Whats there to search for and there is only one kind and only one blending normal add some empty layers clicking on the add layer icon in the layers palette you will see you can the use some of the options in the Layers Palette bars.  You can also see some of the options in the bottom icon bar are also grayed out. There is no layer to link to, you can not add layer styles to a background layer and you can not delete the background layer when its the only layer.  You need to see the whole story to understand why it almost looks as if the Layers palette is not working.  So you will see in the tools palette you will be able to add empty layers using the add layers icon in the layers palette once you add layers you will be able to target then abd rename them in the layers palette.  Even before you add layers in that layers palette that is not working try double clicking on the background layer to convert it to a normal layer with a new name.  I think your Layers palette is working you just don't think it is for some things are currently not available because you only have a background layer in it and it is also an animation frame in the timeline palette.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 9:44 AM   in reply to baty gill

trying to replicate your problem, Wow- i actually am getting a similar result, except that i cannot select anything, the layers palette, other tools, etc.

Then after a few moments, it seemed to just "allow" me to click out, and onto the layers again, etc. I wonder if it just was "thinking"... though all i did was draw a simple line with the pen tool...

Screen-Shot-2012-07-12-at-9.41.06-AM.jpgScreen-Shot-2012-07-12-at-9.41.24-AM.jpg

are you still not allowed to click within the layer panel?

-janelle

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 9:45 AM   in reply to baty gill

What operating system?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 11:17 AM   in reply to R_Kelly

im personally on a mac os x

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 11:26 AM   in reply to janelle_f

I meant what operting system that baty gill was using in case that was pertinent to the problem.

On windows 8 i don't seem to see the same thing so far.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,971 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jul 12, 2012 1:44 PM   in reply to janelle_f

Get windows perhaps between the two OSs we can come up with a CS6 that works for every thing except common shared bugs.  The Layers palette works in Windows try double clicking on the background laywer in the layers palette to see if you can convert  and rename it.  No problem there on a PC...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 5:07 PM   in reply to JJMack

From the screen captures, everything looks perfectly normal. When your document doesn't have any layers beyond the Background layer, all of the options at the top of the layers panel are grayed out.

Try creating a new layer or convert the Background layer to a normal layer (double-click the word "Background" and click OK). Things should start looking the way you expect then.

When you use the Pen tool with the Paths setting, no new layer is created by drawing with the tool. Instead, a vector path is generated, which is what the Paths panel is used to display.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 7:10 PM   in reply to baty gill

Just so we understand.

When your finished drawing your path and you say the layers panel is locked, does pressing any of the buttons highlighted in the below screenshot do anything?

Untitled-1.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 10:25 PM   in reply to janelle_f

Either I don’t understand what the OP means or I can’t reproduce the issue on Mac.

And like Brett I can not see what is supposed to be off kilter in the screenshot; that Blend Modes, filters etc. are inactive in the Layers Panel seems to be owed to the absence of Layers other than the Background Layer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 10:35 PM   in reply to baty gill

Like I said: That Blend Modes, filters etc. are inactive in the Layers Panel seems to be owed to the absence of Layers other than the Background Layer.

That has nothing to do with Paths.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 10:18 AM   in reply to baty gill

The PS Tuts tutorial was created before CS6, things have changed drastically for the Pen tool and shape/vector layers with the new version. This tutorial should be used with CS5 ideally, but works for many older versions as well.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points