• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I create a pick-list of customised colors in Cap 5?

New Here ,
Jul 12, 2012 Jul 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks I am using Cap 5.

I am creating/updating a set of presentations. I can only use 5 specific colors as laid out in my employers brand guidelines.

I would like to create these 5 colors and add them to the color pick list that appears for text animations, fonts etc. Ideally I would like to just pick them whenever I need them.

At the moment every single time I need to use one of these 5 colors I have to enter in a hexdecimal number into tiny little fiddly field at the top of a color picker, EVERY - SINGLE - TIME.

It is REALLY slowing me down and driving nuts. It feels like I am going about this in the wrong way.

Can anyone point me in the right direction because I can't figure it out myself.

Thanks

M

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 13, 2012 Jul 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi M

Unfortunately there simply isn't a way to do this in version 5. But having said that, I can think of a simple way that you might make things easy. Create an image that has a "color strip". It can be vertically or horizontally oriented. Insert this image on the first slide and configure it to run for the rest of the project.

That may seem a bit odd, but here is how I envision it working. When you are dealing with almost anything color related in Captivate, you typically have a color picker eyedropper that may be used to set the color. Soooo, my thought here is that while editing, you could click the eyedropper and just choose the color to set it. And that should prove infinitely simpler than repeatedly typing the hex codes, no?

Once editing was complete, you then delete the image.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 13, 2012 Jul 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Both,

Captivate v5.5

Rick's suggestion is one that I use and it works well.

I have created a colour "chip" (see below) using my company's 2 prime colours and also the colours of the colour of the text box edges I use from Captivate. I place this on first slide and set "view rest of project".  During the creation of my project I just dip my dropper on the required colour on the chip.

Not ideal but a good workaround.

Colour Chips Adobe KN.png

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2012 Jul 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip Noel/Rick

Great for future stuff. Unfortunatelty I don't think this is going to be an option for me this time. The text animations, which I have used extensively in the presentations, don't seem to have an eye dropper function.

So I am back to hexadecimal numbers, which frankly seems an inordinate amount of trouble for such a straight forward task.

Hate this program (sorry to vent in your direction).

If I was 12 I'd finish with an angry emoticon!

Cheers

M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 19, 2012 Jul 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no love for Captivate either but have no choice but to suffer it.

Having said that v5.5 is better than V3 which is when Adobe really fried my brain and put my blood pressure through the roof.

Without the excellent help from this forum I  would have given up a long time ago.

I have no problem about age and emoticons....

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I offer another suggestion? I'm not always confident in color picker, because it doesn't always return the correct color as defined by a code (too bad we are limited to the hexadecimal code).

I'm a Kuler user, and I will put the palette (colors) with their hexadecimal code in a text caption in the scratch area, set to display for the rest of the project. Whenever I need a color, I copy/paste the code. Bit cumbersome but I'm sure to have the correct color. Bit like Noel's solution, but since I'm a math lover I do not pick the color but the code.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh Sure.... offer a completely Adobe solution!

Suck up...

(In case you misread that. I was just teasing you a bit!)

In my own experience, the color picker does a pretty good job. But I have seen instances where I used it to match, but after producing output the match was off. If memory serves, it was the Slide Quality setting that caused the shift.

Happy Thursday... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go ahead, do not mind teasing and learned to understand you better than some years ago

I had some issues with color picker, and that is why I'm a bit hesitant to use it all the time.

Lieve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I use the colour pallet and colour picker as mentioned above, but I also double check that the correct HEX number is displayed on the top left of the dropper.

So I use both dropper and hex - sort of!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources