Skip navigation
SmileyTech
Currently Being Moderated

Files won't open or let me open with....

Jul 10, 2012 8:30 AM

I use windows 7 and I have Cs3 and Cs5 on my computer.  I keep trying to open up my InDesign files but they are not compatible with Cs3 which is the default opener.  The files need opened up on Cs5 but the only way they will open is if you are in Cs5 version and go to open and browse to the file destination.  When I right click on the file in the folder and try to do the open with it will let me browse but after selecting it does not add it to the program list or allow me to hit do this all the time.  I've set up different files to only open up a certain program so I'm not sure why this one is so different.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 10, 2012 8:37 AM   in reply to SmileyTech

What was wrong with your other thread?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 8:51 AM   in reply to SmileyTech

I mean why did you feel the need to create a new thread? All of the questions were answered in the other one:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4546773#4546773

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 8:55 AM   in reply to SmileyTech

We told you in the other thread that if you want CS5 to be the default program you'll need to reinstall in chronological order.

Short of that you can attempt to hack the registry, and no I can't tell you the correct key, but some other users have posted about it here. Windows, by itself, will not honor an Open With request for an earlier version of an executable wioththe same name (in other words, both CS3 and CS5 have programs named InDesign.exe, and only the one in the registry, normally the last one installed, will get called). If you want files to open in the version from which they were saved -- a different problem-- you can prchase a utility from Rorohiko.com called Soxy that is supposed to handle that. Works well on Mac, but I don't recall any reports about Windows. The other option is to open the correct version, then use the File > Open... command and stop trying to double-click a file to open it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 9:07 AM   in reply to SmileyTech

If you uninstalled everything and reinstalled in order, CS3 should not be the default, so something isn't right about what you've told us. You may have to uninstall again, then run the clean tool (CS Cleaner Tool for installation problems | CCM, CS6, CS5.5, CS5, CS4, CS3) and reinstall again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 10:39 AM   in reply to SmileyTech

I'd uninstall both, myself.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 10:18 AM   in reply to SmileyTech

No update can fix a missing links warning. That means that the path stored in the file is no longer valid for the link. That happens when files are pased to a new user and the links aren't included, or if something gets moved.

ID's links are "absolute" in that they point to a specific location. If the program cannot find a link in the specified location it will attempt a search for any missing links starting inthe same folder where the .indd file was opened, and then in subfolders of that folder. It does not look higher in the directory structure, however. If you see a missing links warning that means that bot the absolute path and the search failed, and it's up to you to find the links.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 10:24 AM   in reply to SmileyTech

Workspaces are stored in the user library or user profile in a folder called Workspaces. They are XML files and can be copied.

You can find where to look in this link: Replace Your Preferences

The workspaces folder should be a subfolder inthe same location you find InDesign Defaults.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 1:24 PM   in reply to SmileyTech

Window > Workspace > <choose the one you want> or pick it from the workspace dropdown in the control panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 1:33 PM   in reply to SmileyTech

You might have to restart ID. Otherwise, you probably either copied the wrong file (I forgot to mention you probably don't want to copy the ones with the word Current in the name), or you didn't put them in the correct plcae on the new machine.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 1:49 PM   in reply to SmileyTech

On XP you should be copying from \Documents and Settings\<USER>\Application Data\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\<Language>\Workspaces and on the Windows 7 machine you should paste into \Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\<Language>\Workspaces

Make sure you get the correct folder locations. Workspaces are not dependent on the OS version, so that should not be a factor, and I've successfully copied from one version of ID to another as well when upgrading.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 5:15 AM   in reply to SmileyTech

Verion 5.0 doesn't seem to use the \<Language>\ subfolder, so if there is no folder already named Workspaces, make one, so you have \Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\Version 5.0\Workspaces and put the workspaces into that new folder. DON'T move the ActriveWorkspace.xml file that you found there previously.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 7:34 AM   in reply to SmileyTech

Version 7 is CS5.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 7:54 AM   in reply to SmileyTech

OK, so now you might have a handle on version numbering. Take the CS# and add 2 to get the "real" version number. Your workspaces should be transferrable from CS3 to CS5, but keyboard shortcuts probably not. Unless there are tons of customizations it would be better to just make a new set, otherwise look on this forum for John Hawkinson's scripts for transferring keybaord shortcuts (I don't seem to have a link).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points