Skip navigation
SaBerre
Currently Being Moderated

Audition 1.5 adds or alters file extensions

Feb 23, 2012 3:23 AM

Tags: #file #extension #audition_1.5

I work for a radio station so several people use Adobe Audition 1.5, including interns who have little to any previous experience with it.  When files are saved, I tell them to save everything as an .mp3; also, most everything that's saved has the date in the file name (as in 2-15ComedyClub.mp3 or McDonalds2-20.mp3).

Occassionally, however, someone accidentally mistypes and uses a period with the date instead of a dash, which will cause the computer to think it's a file extension; i.e. saving the file McDonalds2.20.mp3 instead of McDonalds2-20.mp3.

In doing that, this changes the "files of type" section when you're trying to save a file.  Normally, in that "files of type" section, you'd see mp3PRO (FhG) (*.mp3) if you wanted to save an mp3 and Windows PCM (*.wav) if you want so save as a wav, etc. However, when the file name is saved incorrectly, the new "extension" shows up. Using the current example of McDonalds2.20.mp3, If i go to save a file, under the save drop-down menu, in the "files of type" section, I'd see mp3PRO (FhG) (*.20.mp3, *.mp3) as the file type. And then when a new file is saved, the extension is .20.mp3.

How on earth do I fix this? (Besides the obvious, don't save things as the incorrect file name/extension)

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 23, 2012 11:14 AM   in reply to SaBerre

Just do a Save As with the correct extension typed explicitely ie. McDonalds2_20.mp3. Should then reset the file extension.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 8:11 AM   in reply to ryclark

I am having the exact same issue, and what ryclark suggested does not fix it. Except somehow MP3s got associated with WAVs on mine, so when you go to save an MP3, it defaults to .wav. Highly annoying.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2012 12:37 PM   in reply to SaBerre

I'm having the exact same issue as well. Our production machine at the radio station is running Adobe Audition 1.5 on Windows XP. We have been using the exact same software and machine for the past 3 years without any errors. All of our files are saved as Windows PCM (.wav) files but today the .mp3 file type is associated with Windows PCM. The only work around I have found so far is typing the filename with the extension when saving but the process is WAY too time consuming to continue doing with the amount of clips that we process daily.

Does anybody have a more permanent work around to this issue besides including the file extension in the name when saving?

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,610 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 16, 2012 3:03 AM   in reply to hendrickts

Retyping it once is a permanent fix - unless of course you have people overwriting this by getting it wrong again...

This isn't actually an Audition problem - it's related very much to the way Windows handles file saving.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points