Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Spry drop-down menus don't show up on iPad

Jul 12, 2012 4:06 PM

Hi folks,

I've got a spry navigation menu with drop-down submenus that show up fine on my desktop computer, but do not show on the iPad. I've used DW CS4 to build the site. Is there an elegant way to fix this using my current version? Or, do subsequent versions have a better fix for this? I'd upgrade if I knew it would help deal with this issue. The site is www.gcssepm.org. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Gail

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 13, 2012 1:00 AM   in reply to gbergan52

Apart from the fact that you are using and old version of Spry, even with the newer version that can be found here, you will not be able to use the menu bar with a touch screen unless you do not have a link on the main menu item.

For a different Spry Menu that can be used on touch screens, have a look here http://forums.adobe.com/thread/628126

Gramps

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 8:34 AM   in reply to gbergan52

That is correct, if they are titles then the Spry menu will work.

If you want to take that path, I would consider upgrading to Spry 1.6.1

Gramps

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 5:04 PM   in reply to gbergan52

Gail,

1. Leave the markup as is and delete the support files in the SpryAssets folder (SpryMenuBar.js and SpryMenuBarHorizontal.css)
    2. Create a new document called junk.html (or similar), place a SpryMenuBar in the new document and follow the instructions. This will place the new version of the support files in the SpryAssets folder.
    3. Delete junk.html.

Done.

Gramps

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 7:01 PM   in reply to gbergan52

Gail,

You are following the same path as I did but I grabbed Spry Menubar 2.0 (which is version 1.7) from the Widget Browser.  What you will likely find is that if you have a rather complex submenu, then the menu will not function correctly in IE8 or IE9.  I understand that it does work correctly in FireFox.

I contacted Adobe support and they have not yet been able to provide me with a solution.  They said that it was a new bug.

To see the problem, click on the following link and scroll up and down on the Boys Results selection.

http://gerberanalytics.com/tennis/tennis_header_test.php

It may initially appear to work but it will eventually stop working as you move up and down quickly.

I thought that I was home free after converting a simple menu, but then I discovered this problem...

Regards,

Scott

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 11:36 AM   in reply to gbergan52

I just checked Adobe.com and their site doesn't work with an iPad either.  Click on Products or Solutions in their horizontal menubar and it will not show the submenus...

If Adobe can't program their own site correctly, my guess is that I am not going to get a very quick solution.  Does anyone have an alternative to Spry?  This was one of the main reasons why I upgraded from CS4 to CS6 and I'm not a happy camper.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 11:54 AM   in reply to Scott - Columbus, OH

Scott,

Asking someone that already has problems with a different version of a SpryMenuBar makes no sense at all. The OP uses the original SpryMenuBar and you use the UI SpryMenuBar.

In the meantime have a look at the JS and ask yourself why you left

enableHoverNavigation: true,

when a touch screen does not recognise a hover event. Normally one would leave the JS file in tact and change the value in the constructor.

If you need more assistance, please start a new topic.

Gramps

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 2:37 PM   in reply to Ben Pleysier

Gramps,

I am finding the versions to be confusing. CS4 used Spry 1.4.  I thought that CS6 would contain the latest and greatest code, but it is apparently Spry 1.6.  Spry's latest offering is 1.7, which I downloaded via the Widget Browser, but it is referred to online as Spry Menubar 2.0. 

Thank you for the suggestion.  I will try it, but please note that all of my code (except for the code specific to my application) was generated by the Spry Menubar Widget so this should be "official" code.

I have not heard back from the Adobe support team in India.  I'll check with them tomorrow.

Regards,

Scott

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 3:37 PM   in reply to Scott - Columbus, OH

Here is an update from Adobe Support:

Rajesh: Hello. Welcome to Adobe Technical Support.

Rajesh: My Name is Rajesh How Can I help you ?

Scott: Can you please tell me about the status of my question? It is case number 18343 8899

Rajesh: I have received your query. Please allow me a moment to verify your account and to review the details of your request.

Scott: ok

Rajesh: I'll be right with you.

Rajesh: Sorry for the wait. Please do stay online.

Rajesh: well am sorry for the delay

Scott: will do. thanks.

Rajesh: The Case is escalated to our Senior Technician and then are working on the issue.

Scott: Any ideas on when to expect a solution?

Scott: I need iPads to work but I can't do that and cause my IE8 and IE9 customers to have problems.

Rajesh: Well It will be difficult for me to predict, but let me check if i can get some information on it.

Rajesh: well sorry for the delay Scott

Rajesh: Well once a case is being escalated to our Senior Technician then it approximately takes 48-72 hrs depending on the complexity of the issue.

Scott: Thanks, Rajesh. This has been an issue in the Adobe support forum and I will forward this information to them as well. Have a good day.

Rajesh: well am sorry about this situation. But thank you for you co-operation

Rajesh: Thank you for contacting Adobe. Good Bye.

Scott: bye

Again, this deals with Spry 1.7, which is the most recent release.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 9:05 PM   in reply to gbergan52

@Gail,

I am confused, in your first post you said

I've used DW CS4 to build the site

This DWCS4 does have Spry version 1.6.1, yet your web site shows that you have implemented Spry version 1.4. I wonder where you got that older version, certainly not from DW CS4.

Then you go on to say

I broke down and did the upgrade to CS6, which has Spry 1.6

It is true that DW CS6 has Spry version 1.6.1, hence there is no need to further upgrade.

Fact is that the online site still shows Spry version 1.4. I have shown you how to upgrade the local site to Spry version 1.6.1. These new files must then be uploaded to make any difference to the online site.

@Scott

You are confusing the issue even more with your interruptions. You are using a different Spry Menu Bar and your problems have nothing to do with the OP's problems. Please start your own topic with your problems if you want assistance. Also, I do not give a crack about your dealings with others that you have asked for assistance. Place a straight forward question and you will get a straight forward answer.

Gramps

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 8:59 AM   in reply to gbergan52

Your online version, the one I can see, does not show the latest version as in http://www.gcssepm.org/SpryAssets/SpryMenuBar.js

Also, I repeat my first answer in this post

Apart from the fact that you are using and old version of Spry, even with the newer version that can be found here, you will not be able to use the menu bar with a touch screen unless you do not have a link on the main menu item.

For a different Spry Menu that can be used on touch screens, have a look here http://forums.adobe.com/thread/628126

A touch screen does not recognise a hover event no matter what you do.

Gramps

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 9:09 AM   in reply to Ben Pleysier

Gramps,

Sorry, I saw Gail going down the same path as I was (1.4, 1.6, 1.7) and I thought I might be able to save her time. 

Scott

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 6:53 PM   in reply to gbergan52

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers