Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Stroke Shape with Brush, etc.

Jul 13, 2012 10:25 AM

One can stroke a Path with the Brush Tool, Pencil Tool, Burn Tool, etc., which affects pixels of a targeted pixel Layer.

Shapes can have solid colour strokes, gradient strokes and pattern strokes which are part of the Shape definition.

Am I alone in thinking that it would be useful for Shapes to be able to have their stroke defined as a Brush (and possibly other tools) which doesn't change the pixels of another Layer, and instead remains an editable property of the Shape's appearance?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 13, 2012 11:01 AM   in reply to conroy

Have you considered the complexity of a Brush stroke?

Brush strokes may consist of hundreds (or more) randomized dabs of a Brush tip and to ensure editability on another machine where the Brush Preset may be missing it would have to be included in the document in some form.

But you can post a feature request over at

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,528 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 13, 2012 11:03 AM   in reply to conroy

That's always seemed like missing functionality to me.

Imagine wanting to make a path, for example, a signature, then turn that path into a kind of "line" object with just a stroke.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 11:07 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Well, the new Strokes still seem to fall short with more than one unclosed Path in a Vector Mask …

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,528 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 13, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to conroy

I believe Christoph is thinking about a full solution, where ANYTHING you could do by stroking a path into pixels could be "virtualized" into a stroke done by Photoshop at layer compositing time.

Imagine this, for example:

StrokePath1..jpg

StrokePath2.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,528 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 13, 2012 12:03 PM   in reply to conroy

Complexity notwithstanding, I see no reason that all the info for a given brush couldn't be stored in a PSD.  It can be stored in an ABR file today!

Now, hypothetically speaking, if this feature were implemented and you bought a commercial brush package, then published a PSD with a stroke using one of the brushes from within that package, would you be inadvertently be sharing licensed intellectual property illegally?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 8:51 AM   in reply to conroy

Noel has illustrated what I was referring to nicely.

Something more limited, but a heck of a lot better than nothing, could be implemented, though.

Well, with the »you’ve given me an inch, now where is the mile«-approach* some users seem to employ I’m afraid anything less than an implementation with maintained full editability of the Stroke might lead to customer dissatissfaction.

Not that the feature would not be a welcome improvement.

*) And I’m pretty much employing that attitude myself when I consider any Filter that cannot be applied as a Smart Filter an annoyance.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 5:00 PM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

Why not use Illustrator . . . it does what you want already does it not?  (Copy paste to Ps as needed; but it would not be readily editable except via re-paste in Ps; except maybe via smart layer? linked file?)

see Illustrator brushes (art, scatter, pattern, etc.) to stroke a path, easily edited/changed/altered.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,528 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 14, 2012 5:30 PM   in reply to Doug.S

Some of us don't have illustrator, and this does seem like a logical extension of Photoshop functionality of making shapes out of paths.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 4:41 PM   in reply to conroy

Agreed it would be nice in Ps but lacking that now, Illy could work.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,052 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Jul 16, 2012 5:35 AM   in reply to conroy

Conroy2009, I've seen a script using the scripted patterns that layed down patterns on a path, check out Chuck Uebele's site, and this page: http://www.adobe.com/technology/projects/DecoScriptedPatternsInPhotosh op.html

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points