Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Prepare to use the Digital Publishing Suite

Jul 13, 2012 10:15 AM

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 13, 2012 10:15 AM   in reply to Community Help

It seems it changes so much... is this still correct today, July 13, 2012?

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,649 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jul 13, 2012 10:36 AM   in reply to ever so frustrated

Please be more specific.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 11:17 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

It's just that the software changes often, and then the tools work differently.

I'm a long-time Creative Suite user (designer for print, but also with some Flash training), intent on learning everything i need to know to design interactive content for digital publications --iOS.

Wednesday, I updated my InDesign CS6 and digital publishing tools in an effort to be able to do some Lynda.com lessons. After the software updates, I could no longer preview the interactive overlays and complete the lessons.

I opened InDesign CS5.5 and a document i had created earlier this year when i had dived into learning the DPS proccess -- that had samples of all the interactive overlays and used to be able to preview that -- but it no longer worked, either.

A day of searching for answers and a long call with Adobe tech support didn't solve the problems.

I restored both InDesigns from time machine backups and the 5.5 document preview works fine again now.

Waiting to hear back from Adobe about the tech support issue...

I have some "down time" right now to spend on lessons, but am trying to find the best, most current place to start.

Thus, my question is this "prepare to use the Digital Publishing Suite" article here up-to-date NOW?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to ever so frustrated

Preview where? I have no problem with desktop preview (Mac or Win) or previewing directly on the iPad (Mac only).

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,649 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jul 13, 2012 11:44 AM   in reply to ever so frustrated

Thanks for clarifying. The digital publishing industry is evolving, and the DPS tools are updated every 6-8 weeks to keep up with industry changes and improve the tools.

This video is accurate for InDesign CS5/CS5.5 installers but does not include information on CS6 setup. To update the tools in InDesign CS6, choose Help > Updates, and then install the DPS Desktop Tools if you haven't done so already. If that doesn't work, please let us know.

You can read more about DPS setup here:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/digitalpubsuite/using/WS67cb9e293e2f1f60-2 1ba9a4512e5e5e0b8d-7ffe.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 11:45 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Previewing in the Adobe Content viewer, of course. On my Mac.

Every time, i get an error message and it will not preview.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 11:54 AM   in reply to ever so frustrated

Are you using PDF folios?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 11:55 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

"To update the tools in InDesign CS6, choose Help > Updates, and then install the DPS Desktop Tools if you haven't done so already. If that doesn't work, please let us know."

it was after I did the update that i could no longer preview in Adobe Content Viewer. It would go through all the "motions" of preparing the folio and then Adobe Content Viewer displayed error message: "Error   Failed to load the folio"...

The version of Adobe Content viewer is 2.0.0.

Like i said, i now have the pre-updated version installed (restored from Time Machine backup) and guess i should try the update again and see if it works right.

The Lynda.com course is for CS6, but maybe i should just go back to 5.5 and follow this tutorial.

I've subscribed to the Creative Cloud and really want to learn this stuff now. I love InDesign and really want to make the transition to the digital publishing stuff asap.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 12:01 PM   in reply to ever so frustrated

The best advice I can give you is don’t turn your back and visit this forum at least once every few days.

As already pointed out this stuff is changing pretty rapidly and there’s no better source for info than this forum.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 12:13 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

am i using pdf folios?

Well, I just re-watched a lesson and caught this fact: when making an overlay, the "background" of the page is output as a pdf, and the interactive part is an "overlay"... so are not all pages with an overlay containing pdf?

And, somewhere, I read -- while scrounging for help -- that the Adobe content viewer won't work with pdfs....

okay, well how do i proceed to preview the interactive document on my Mac? Like i said, i could before with 5.5... except even now, the slide show overlay isn't working like it should in the Adobe Content viewer.

Please tell me, when you are previewing & testing a slide show, what version of Adobe Content viewer is working? I can't help but think that is my problem. After the upgrade, i still had Adobe Content viewer 2.0.0.... and with the restored backup version of both 5.5 and 6, the Adobe Content Viewer that opens is 2.0.0....

clue to my problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 12:20 PM   in reply to ever so frustrated

I rarely use the desktop tool. I just use the preview on device function of the folio builder panel or folio overlays panel.

To activate them, tether your iPad to the Mac and open the Adobe Content Viewer.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 12:28 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob,

I'd love to try that, but i don't have an iPad yet.  (and if business doesn't pick up, it will be a long while before i can get one)

I do have a 4s iPhone, though, and see that there is an app, Adobe Content Viewer 2.6.

Are you using InDesign CS6... and can you preview on your desktop in Adobe Content Viewer? If so, would you please tell me what version of Adobe Content Viewer is letting you preview the folio?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 12:36 PM   in reply to ever so frustrated

Yes, I’m using CS6 and yes I can preview on the desktop with limitations. The content viewer is version 21.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 12:50 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob Levine,

please elaborate on "with limitations"

... can you preview a slideshow?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 12:55 PM   in reply to ever so frustrated

I already told you, the desktop preview cannot preview a PDF folio, but absent that, there’s no reason a slideshow wouldn’t work.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,649 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jul 13, 2012 1:09 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

In InDesign CS6, what happens if you choose File > Folio Preview? Do you still get an error message? If so, there's something wrong with your desktop viewer setup.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 1:11 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Yes, as i mentioned before, i read that the Adobe Content Viewer does not work for pdfs... but please forgive me for being slow on the uptake on this, but I'm not understanding what you mean about creating "pdf folios".

I understand outputting an interactive pdf document, and that's not a folio, and it opens in acrobat.

I also was informed that when creating a page with overlay(s), the "background" of the page is output as a pdf, and the interactive "overlay" is on top of that.

What do you mean when you talk about "pdf folios"?

Earlier this year, i created a multi page document in InDesign 5.5, experimenting with one overlay type per page, and was able to preview the whole document with all its interactivity right on my desktop. After upgrading the digital publishing tools, i was no longer able to preview any of the interactivity in that document.

After restoring both InDesigns to pre-updated versions, i am able to view the interactivity of the document in InDesign 5.5.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 1:19 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

"If so, there's something wrong with your desktop viewer setup."

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

Now what?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 1:21 PM   in reply to ever so frustrated

Here's my thousand word answer:

Capture.PNG

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 1:29 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

oh...

Thanks!

That's easy to read!

But as i was working on the lesson, i wasn't testing by making a folio like that to preview, i made the slide show and there's a button to preview the slideshow right there below the slide show options, and when i hit that button, it would open the Adobe Content Viewer and I'd get progress bars and notes saying a folio was being produced, and then the Adobe Content Viewer would display the error message.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 1:31 PM   in reply to ever so frustrated

Can you post a screenshot of the content viewer with that error?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 1:39 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Screen Shot 2012-07-12 at 12.53.40 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 1:43 PM   in reply to ever so frustrated

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 1:44 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Okay, I'm going to try instaling the DPS Desktop Tools for InDesign CS6 and hope this works...

like i said, i did this the other day and it didn't work out.... then i restored to earlier from a Time Machine backup.

thanks so much for trying to help me.

I'm just a little paranoid that after i do this, i will be sorry out of luck with using the CS5.5 version again after this install.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 2:03 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 2:06 PM   in reply to ever so frustrated

Trying to do this without an iPad is going to have you living up to that screen name.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 2:36 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

oh, i'm living it now.

Okay, i downloaded and "successfully installed" the DPS Desktop Tools for InDesign CS6 dated 6/19/2012 that InDesign told me i needed.

Yet, when i open ID CS6 and want to work, i'm still SOL.

Screen Shot 2012-07-13 at 4.33.31 PM.png

Indeed, kind sir, I am EVER SO FRUSTRATED!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 2:47 PM   in reply to ever so frustrated

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 7:41 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

that discussion sounds only a little similar to my problem. I DID HAVE the folio builder panels and overlay panels working in CS5.5 and was able to preview the folios on my desktop UNTIL i tried upgrading the tools for CS6. It was only AFTER I tried to install the digital publishing tools for CS6 that i started having problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 5:29 AM   in reply to ever so frustrated

Follow the tips on removing the local store files.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 9:28 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

It took me a while to find the files, but i did and deleted them and i still have the problems.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points