Skip navigation
This discussion is locked

How many computers can I install my Creative Cloud apps on?

May 5, 2012 5:57 AM

Tags: #install #creative_cloud
  Latest reply: paulmmacey, Oct 4, 2012 10:10 PM
Branched to a new discussion.
Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 16, 2012 7:37 PM   in reply to MonteKrause

Like many creative pros I use two computers concurrently.  I will run an action on a batch of photos on one computer while I edit a different project on my other computer.  I would LOVE to sign up for Cloud, but it just doesn't seem to allow me (and others) to work in a way that is efficient.  I work on large projects and would have a lot of down time if I could only use one computer at a time.  Does anyone know if Adobe has plans to solve this? Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 3:57 AM   in reply to tgough88

I have a strange situation and wonder how it can be resolved. I have installed the creative suite to a hard drive on my Mac Pro. I also have a copy of CS6 on my laptop. In a few weeks I will be working on a project that necessitates me working in Sydney for a week or so ( I live and work from home in Melbourne). What I would like to do is take the hard drive out of my machine at home in it's handy caddy, then slide this into a similar machine in Sydney, ie a different piece if hardware. Do I need to de activate before I go away then re activate when I get to Sydney or is the activation only aware of how many times the software has been switched on.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 8:14 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Hello Jeff !

I have four or five of the programs installed on one of my three XP computers, and just PS6 on a XP PC at my other location.

If I were to install PS6 on the third computer at (my present location) currently without any of the CS6 programs, could I deactivate all the apps on the first PC in one go somehow to make this possible ?

Or do I have to go on the help menu and deactivate each at a time ?

I kinda regret installing the first 4-5 of the suite on the computer Im at now because it has poor graphics acceleration (Intel in-CPU HD graphics) while the other PC has atleast an AMD card for some basic acc.

The other PC I only have PS6 on has an Nvidia card so its on par with the AMD machine and can do basic acc.

Anyway the question is, does one deactivate each program after the other or can all be deactivated in one go and moved to the other PC ?

Initially I also thought one could spread the software over two or three PCs provided only two were activated at any one time and one only in use at a time.

Would also appreciate some more reforms in the flexibility department on the activations.. But kudos for removing the deactivation limit a while back.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 1:14 PM   in reply to mrbugjacobs

I am adding my vote for Adobe to consider "user based" licencing for the Creative Cloud, as apposed to machine based. This is the impression I, and everyone I know, got when we saw the promotion of Creative Cloud that it would be user based.  I am disappointed to see it continues the way it was because most professionals nowadays work with more than two computers.

I wouldn't call it Creative Cloud with the current license terms.  The name at this point is a misrepresentation of the product.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 1:22 PM   in reply to Shiboli

I strongly agree.  The license should be to the user.  If I use 18 different machines, as long as I am the one using the software, then it should be a ok.  Locking licenses to a specific machine is archaic in these newfangled networked times.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 1:45 PM   in reply to ellfire

I agree. I have a PC and Mac at work and a Mac at home. I can only be on one machine at a time so who cares if I install it on a bunch of my own boxes. Especially now that the cost of owning the software has essentially doubled with a subscription. I used to upgrade every other CS so I could go three years. I do like the convenience of the subscription and the cloud. Still learning new stuff. Tough to learn all the tricks in all the apps. You get overwhelmed. I'm trying to get a handle on ID since that's my main app but PS especially and AI have a bunch of enhancements.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2012 6:31 PM   in reply to Shiboli

Just want to add my voice to the chorus of "user-based license, not device-based!"  I'm a freelancer, as are many of us creatives, and I do work at home on my desktop, on the go on my laptop, and frequently at a client's facility.  No matter where I am, I ought to have access to my stuff (not just my documents, but my applications) if we're going to suggest that this has anything to do with the cloud.  I simply don't see what the disadvantages would be here, whereever I go and login, my creative cloud would activate.  And the minute I left that device and logged out, there'd be no more access to the goods.  That's the point of the cloud, as best as I can tell.  So far, CS6 has proven to be a pretty great update, and I like the idea of live updates and integration and so forth, but we're not really fully embracing the cloud with this release.  Just living with our heads up in there.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2012 7:17 AM   in reply to chillyche

How would that work? I don't want my apps on the cloud. I want them on a box. And if you freelance all over the place, would you have an install on every box you freelance on? I wouldn't want multiple CS6 installs on my machines. You can lease ID on a month to month basis as needed which is what I would probably do if I had an ongoing project.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 11:47 AM   in reply to Mr. Met

I'm about to sign up for the Cloud and I'm quite pleased that this option does offer a certain flexibility. I work from home and the office, so I plan to install CS6 applications on my home Mac Pro and my work Mac Pro, and I obviously can't ever be at both places at the same time. However, one thing that slightly worries me is that if I have to leave my work Mac on overnight or my home Mac on throughout the day for a long render or something and I also forget to close an Adobe application, does this mean that the Cloud will physically block me from using that application at my other location...?

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 4:12 AM   in reply to benekski

If you plan on using ID at home, it can't be active at work. Nor any other app. Makes sense. Otherwise, we would be "lending" our sw to others.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 4:32 AM   in reply to Mr. Met

What if... you leave an Adobe application open at home, but you put your computer to sleep and then try to run the same application at work... Would the Cloud still think that license is in use...?

I'm just trying to get a mental picture of how it works... whether it's like using a license server. Anyhow, I've signed up so I'll test all this for myself in the coming weeks...

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 4:45 AM   in reply to benekski

The sw resides on the computer. Files can migrate to and from cloud.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 5:21 AM   in reply to Mr. Met

I don't want my apps on the cloud either.  I want them installed locally, but I want my registration to follow me, the user, the guy who licensed the software.  Where-ever I go, if the software is installed, but not activated, I should be able to sit down, log-in, and the software becomes activated until such time as I log out.

I am happy to note, however, that last night, as my desktop was rendering and exporting from Premiere, and clogged up, I was able to successfully open Photoshop on my laptop and work there.  One user, two machines, different products open at once. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 7:38 PM   in reply to chillyche

Just out of curiosity.. How is Bootcamp treated? I have a laptop with Bootcamp on it and a desktop.. If I want to install the Cloud Suite on my OS-X partition and my Bootcamp partition does that mean 1 machine has eaten up both of my licenses? ergo, I can't install Cloud Suite on my desktop?

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 8:38 AM   in reply to tgough88

Is this license attached to the hardware? As a developer, I often use machines which boot to different versions of an OS. Would the CC recognize the same machine, or would each multi-boot require a separate license?

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 3:37 PM   in reply to joshhandel

From what Ive read here - bootcamp and OSX on same machine eats up two installs :-(

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2012 6:38 PM   in reply to psritter

Still from what Ive read here - dualboot with two windows' installs counts as two installs :-(

Myself I also wish it was per machine or per user,

that would be best ..

Per user - with a login process - Or that, in addition - to the situation as is now.

My wish scenario is that one could install two places, and easily move one of those to a new location with a "in one go" signout of the old station.

Possibly in the Adobe Application Manager.

Or that in addition to being able to sign in anywhere. So the licence would follow the user..

But this is apparently not Adobes setup right now..

I dont think hardware dongles are a good idea ..

Better an option for internet login and verification per session..
    Or just trust the user .. :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 9:18 AM   in reply to tgough88

Hi Jeff and tgough

Well, would be nice to have the software installed on 3 or more computers, but still use only one. On the other hand, I undestand your concern about abuse of software use on  many machines or at the same time. So, to solve this, maybe a Hardware Dongle be a nice solution. Some time ago I use Maya with a dongle. I had it installed on 4 machines (including my laptop) and I need only plug the dongle (USB) on the machine I need to use Maya at that time. This avoid simultaneous use of one license. The drawback - If the user lose the dongle, he need to buy another one and release old lD dongle ID license to be desactivated. Anyway, still check the net (cloud) to confirm if ID and license still valid. Maybe its a nice and simple solution for those situations where user need to have "floating licenses" ond diferent locations.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 10:55 AM   in reply to tgough88

I'm a little confused.  When I spoke with Adobe Tech Support prior to subscribing, we discussed that the nice advantage of Creative Cloud is that I can use it to work on any computer at any time - my desktop at home, laptop, work desktop, parents', etc.  The only caveat being of course I could only be signed onto one computer at a time.  According to the response above, the information I received from Tech support is INCORRECT and there is no advantage to Creative Cloud any more than with the current desktop version (one desktop, one laptop).  Needless to say, I'm very, very disappointed!!!

Also, I downloaded software this weekend to my home desktop.  I just went to download some of the same items to my laptop; however, not all applications were available to download (ie Edge, etc.) I only have 12 options to download to my laptop... therefore, I am NOT getting everything to my laptop.  What gives??

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 11:08 AM   in reply to LBB0212

actually, i think you might be ok. watching the webcast from the photoshopusers.com site, they talked about installing on any computer you want, but you may only activate two licenses. they have lots in their studio, so this makes me think it's correct.

if you have two licenses already active and try to install the suite locally on a third machine, you'll first be prompted to deactivate one of the other licenses.

that is perfectly fine with me! it can be a bit awkward perhaps, and maybe in the future we'll have a personal license, so as long as it's just me only, i'm good.

or, if two it must be, perhaps it should automatically offer me the ability at each computer: you're already active on two. shall i deactivate one? that way i don't have to remember at the office and don't have to return there to use one at home.

but as long as i have multiple installs and have two activations, i'm happy.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 11:14 AM   in reply to keithdvo

I was under the impression it is two installs per license; only can work on one machine.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 5:00 PM   in reply to Mr. Met

i think the better way to view it is "two activations per license." you can install it on three machines and activate two. if you first need to use it on the third, you must deactivate it on one of the other two.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2012 3:23 PM   in reply to keithdvo

...it seems this discussion is going around and around.  Some users appear to be looking for that loophole.  Adobe is very strict with their licensing.  Duh.  When it comes to activation snafus, I'm certain the agents in India won't leave you without.  They are very understanding.  Good folks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 10:52 AM   in reply to tgough88

if continuous on line cloud access is NOT required to run the adobe programs,  why cannot you run the program on two computers at the same time????  does'nt  seem to be the "correct" answer??

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 11:00 AM   in reply to benekski

i see a lot of questions and problems  here, but not many answers or responses that the problems have been resolved

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 11:13 AM   in reply to frederick wheeler

I think the simplest thing Adobe could do right this second and make everything far less painful for all of us would be to change their system to allow unlimited deactivation's without freezing an account, allow for 2 simultaneous activation's, and provide an online interface to let us deactivate remotely.  In an ideal world I would prefer unlimited installs, unlimited activation's but cloud users must log in to use the suite and they can't be simultaneously logged in to more than 1 or 2 machines at once.. Then manage abuse as the exception.     Really we are looking at a philosophical difference on how Adobe views License abuse.. They assume all licenses will be abused and there for has draconian measures to protect their IP. As apposed to assuming there are only some licenses abuses and therefore you only need mechanics to detect and disable those abusive users and serial numbers.  The result of these dated methodologies we all feel like we are "renting" software from 1999 instead of enjoying the great Software as a Service offering that this could be.  Hey Adobe, don't be the RIAA! loosen up, and make this better then it is :-).  We are giving you money, we are the good guys, stop treating us like potential criminals..  Thanks! Josh

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 11:55 AM   in reply to joshhandel

so you have to be logged into your adobe account to use the software!!  that sucks

Lynn

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 12:21 PM   in reply to frederick wheeler

When you open the app, adobe checks your other locations to see if it's active. The magic of web cookies.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 11:29 PM   in reply to frederick wheeler

...it seems to me that many Adobe app users feel squeezed by Adobe’s strict licensing policies.  AND, ever since the advent of online activation, and the convoluted “Creative Suite” marketing, there has been an even higher level of stress over the strict licensing policies coupled with a greater financial commitment.  For me, the Cloud thing may work better – somehow hurt less.  Me, I’ve always HATED the idea of the “Creative Suite”.  There is nothing creative about it except forcing me to pay for poorly developed applications and or applications I will never use.  My opinion, if Adobe wanted to entertain the notion of selling a “suite” of applications, customers should have been able to design their own “suite” (like building a foot-long at Subway) – one that closer fits their individual professional needs.  Me, what I do, is probably not what that guy is doing.

My opinion, The Creative Suite as a concept – perhaps, until now with the Cloud marketing campaign – was right up there with the “evil genius” of the manufacturer rebate.  The monthly fee - with access to everything Adobe - may sting less.  I can see toying with the illusion? Perhaps it’s real.  I’ve had a d*mn good time toying with illusions since the 60’s.  I don’t even think about what it may have cost me.

Monte, Dallas, TX

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 3:32 AM   in reply to MonteKrause

What you say is true. I use ID, PS, and AI. The other stuff just sits on my HD taking space. So I'm subsidizing heaving users of the other apps and they are subsidizing my heavy use of ID. Very few people use every single product in the suite.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 4:08 AM   in reply to Mr. Met

Okay I'm nit-picking here but there is no reason they should sit on your HD taking space if you don't need them. Just don't install them or uninstall the stuff you don't need.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 4:57 AM   in reply to tgough88

Hi guys

I was already to have replied on this forum for some time, but as I was busy just now was possible.

About two weeks ago I was at a presentation of Adobe CS6 Creative Cloud, and the Adobe leader in my country and the Iberian peninsula were explained to me some details about CC.
    The version currently available is a version for individuals, and will soon be a version of "Creative Cloud Team" for companies where licenses itself are floating.

That is, now with the current Cloud licenses are hooked to the user being able to use two computers but not simultaneously (1 user only).

The future "Creative Cloud Team" version (I cant remember the correct name for it) will be assigned to company / entity and can be installed on multiple computers, but only the number of concurrent users purshased will limit the number of simultaneous users, regardless the computer where software is installed.

About the complete set of software, I dont ask anything about that, but I think some of softwares can be "rented" alone. Anyway, some sets of Creative Cloud similar to Creative suites, with a small "rent" price, will be nice too... For me the full set is not a big problem, because in video production I use almost of them. As we still work in graphic design and some multimedia design, we are using almost all. The only issue is about use all in 1 computer only... So 2 or 3 small Cloud Suites will be apreciated...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 4:59 AM   in reply to smakelainen

WIth the cloud I've only installed what I need at present. Previously, I would install the whole suite from the disk or download.

What bugs me is I got the suite so I can present my portfolio on the iPad and that is the one app that is not available for purchase at app store. I haven't looked in a few weeks but last I looked it wasn't available. I can get PS and AI for the pad but I don't have a need for that at the moment.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 1:29 PM   in reply to tgough88

I guess im lost on the reasoning for app builders. Both eclipse and iOS can be developed on Mac OS as can BB. The only other reason you need a PC is for Windows Phone, which is highly suspect reason to need more than two anyway as few people use that phone. The use of the suite on 2 laptops or computers should more than cover most people. If you really require more laptops for what you do, may I suggest re thinnking your strategy... Or computer purchases.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 8:09 AM   in reply to fergfamster

The whole cloud concept should mean that you could log in on any

computer and use the software, atleast any of your own computers.

Atleast as an option ! I would say if you chose this option there could

be an internet sign in per session. So that you did not run more than

two machines at a time. (And limiting the second machine to render tasks

or such - or have an aftereffects render client that was outside of the

limitation).

Den 13.07.2012 22:30, skrev fergfamster:

>

Re: How many computers can I install my Creative Cloud apps on?

created by fergfamster <http://forums.adobe.com/people/fergfamster> in

/Creative Cloud Download & Install FAQ/ - View the full discussion

<http://forums.adobe.com/message/4556714#4556714

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 12:49 PM   in reply to mrbugjacobs

...@MrBugJacobs:  ...here, here!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 2:43 PM   in reply to fergfamster

@FergMaster: I’m PC and proud of it.  But I do have an iPhone, MacBook Pro, and the new iPad.  Back to business.  Has anyone actually installed CS6 and tested the licensing – in respect to, what you want to do and Adobe activation will allow?  There may be more slack than you (or me) might think.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 2:15 AM   in reply to tgough88

I'd like to throw in with all the people who are talking about the 2 machine limit:

When you have the limitation of "not running at the same time", and you have the apps tied to an account, why on gods green earth would you limit the account to two machines?

It's probably more normal for most professionals to have more than two machines than not.

I have two computers at work (Windows and Mac), a Mac at home (where I both work in Windows and Mac OS) and a Mac laptop.

I find it completely mindboggling that I can't run my *cloud* adobe apps on all of these computers, since I never photoshop on more than one of them at the same time, and they all run accounts with my name.

Please, Adobe, please, please, please consider lifting this restraint, or at least increase it to some sane level like (at least) 5 machines. Step into the new millenium where licenses follow persons, not computers. Please!

Yours is by far the most expensive software I run, and it's by far the most troublesome to fit into the patterns of my working life.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 5:56 AM   in reply to brianmeidell

ditto !!  everyone now works both at the office and home.   Lynn

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 5:57 AM   in reply to brianmeidell

Amen, Brian!  This was my point to begin with.  What is the advantage of being "in the cloud" if we are still restricted by the traditional constraints?  And, heaven forbid, we travel and can't get to one of our pre-installed devices to deactivate it in order to do our work on the fly. 

My excitement bubble burst dramatically when I found this constraint - after subscribing.  What the Adobe rep I spoke with discussed and what reality is were two different things - he neglected to add the caveat that I would have to go through a process of activating and deactivating to maintain the 2 machine license.  And I specifically asked about having access through multiple machines.  Home, office, laptop, visiting family, etc. NEVER was it mentioned that I would have to activate and deactivate.  Otherwise, I'd have just bought a box product and be done - KNOWING what I had bought.

Adobe has put my cloud in a box!  I guess in reality is just their way of "going green" - they've eliminated the physical box product but haven't eliminated the physical contraints of that box.

Lisa B.

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points