Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Printing a PDF in Illustrator on Mac

Jun 29, 2012 8:49 AM

Tags: #illustrator #pdf #mac #print_dialog #adobe_pdf_7.0

Could someone show me what a healthy Illustrator CS5 or CS6 Print dialog looks like on a Mac?

I recently purged a bunch of outdated "Adobe PDF 7.0"-related printer files from my computer and several weeks later discovered that significant portions of my Illustrator Print dialog were now disabled. It's weird because these files don't actually work on Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard), and yet they seem essential to accessing the various Print dialog features (including layout preview) as well as the OS-related Page Setup... and Printer... options.

Thes screenshots show the Print dialog first with the Adobe PDF 7.0 files installed and then without—note the many disabled features in the second screenshot.

CS5 Print dialog.pngCS5 print dialog.png

I now feel trapped into keeping this vintage, dysfunctional printer driver. I'm wondering whether something went missing from my CS5 or CS6 installations—an Acrobat component that would replace Adobe PDF 7.0 and allow for a full range of printing options in Illustrator.

I've also spent a ridiculous amount of time dealing with this problem and seem to be getting nowhere.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 29, 2012 12:11 PM   in reply to groove25

Why are you printing to PDF rather than simply saving to PDF? Is there some specific reason?

The Adobe PDF print driver is no longer installed. I think it was discontinued at Acrobat 8 or 9, because the Mac OS has PDF saving built into it's print dialog.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 1:54 PM   in reply to groove25

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 2:27 PM   in reply to groove25

Notice the PPD line in the second window. It says Device Independent so it is the most generic printer description without any printer specific options.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 3:04 PM   in reply to groove25

On my MBP I have used the above reinstalled Acrobat 9 PPD file to enable saving a PDF file to my desktop without problems.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points