Skip navigation
pkroll
Currently Being Moderated

Display tearing in CS 6 persists - anyone else experiencing this?

May 21, 2012 4:17 PM

Hi all,

I posted about this issue before. I am experiencing severe display tearing/refresh rate issues in AE CS6. These issues happen regardless of whether or not I am playing back from the timeline, or merely panning around. Even slow panning around in the composition window results in very obvious tearing. (screen tearing - wikipedia)

Since I last posted, I purchased and installed an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 from MacVidCards. The card works perfectly in all aspects of OS X, and in all other programs, but the screen tearing is still there in After Effects. I installed Nvidia drivers, CUDA developer drivers, and also tried adding the card to the list of raytrace supported cards, but none of these things helped.

(As an aside, the card works beautifully for GPU accelerated raytracing, despite being unsupported for that purpose, once it has been manually added to the raytracer_supported_cards.txt file)

I tested in both 10.7.3 and 10.7.4. I also created a clean fresh install of 10.7.1 on a new drive, and installed CS 6 from scratch, with no plugins or any OS modifications. No difference.

A friend with a newer 12-core Mac Pro tried AE CS 6 under Snow Leopard with the same card, and experienced the same problem. When he booted into Windows 7 on the same machine, again with the same card, the issues were entirely gone.

Machine: Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 16 gb ram

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? It strikes me that this must be conflict or bug in Adobe's handling of the GPU drivers on Mac OS.

Thanks for reading!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 22, 2012 11:36 AM   in reply to pkroll

I am indeed getting the same horizontal display tearing as you are. I have an older Mac Pro 2,1 with an ATI Radeon HD 4870. I noticed the tearing right away after installing CS6 Master last night. Same project in CS5 has no tearing whatsoever. Not encouraging to hear that even with a different video card you are experiencing the same issue. I have seen this issue on the creativecow forums and elsewhere on the adobe forums. Hopefully someone has an answer soon.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 12:25 PM   in reply to pkroll

I have this problem too.

My machine is set up for DaVinci resolve - it has a flashed 470, same as above posted, and an officially supported GT120. After Effects will use whichever one the main monitor is plugged into for OpenGL - and both cards display massive tearing when dragging the comp preview window and playing back.

Running Snow Leopard 10.6.8

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 9:45 AM   in reply to pkroll

Have you considered filing a bug report?

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 9:56 AM   in reply to Dave LaRonde

I just filed an official bug report. But I'm of the same mind and have posted this in multiple places.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 3:03 PM   in reply to ViperJPB

I have read elsewhere that this is a graphics card issue, but if CS5 running on the same system can display tear free playback, ( both desktop Mac Pro and laptop) then something is not right

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 3:10 PM   in reply to regsquires

I thought it might be graphics card related as well. However there is no display tearing in CS5. Plus I have seen this reported with GTX 285, GTX 470, Quadro 4000, ATI Radeon HD 4870, and several laptop gpus. The only common thing so far is that it seems to only happen in OS X (both Lion and Snow Leopard) and not Windows.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 12:36 PM   in reply to pkroll

pkroll I can't seem to track down that particular link. It was a random google find that I cant seem to re-create. However on the Creative Cow forums there are people using the GTX470, 285, and ATI 4780 with the same issues.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2012 4:58 PM   in reply to pkroll

Still no fix in sight huh? This problem is very annoying and I am sticking with After Effects CS5 until the issue is resolved sadly.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 12:39 PM   in reply to pkroll

We know about tearing with certain formats and are working hard on a fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 1:15 PM   in reply to pkroll

Same here. Here is a link to some quick snapshots of the problem on my system. I'm running an ATI 4870.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4490034

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 1:20 PM   in reply to ViperJPB

I see the problem on my MacBook Pro, but not on my PC. See the other thread for details.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1003909?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 11:54 AM   in reply to pkroll

I am having the same tearing issue in CS6 After Effects on my 6 core Mac Pro, with an ATI 5870 HD card. The same project files display fine in CS5.5. Looking for a solution...

An update to my previous post: I initially saw this with video files (AVCHD MTS) as I had only been testing CS6 with video files. Now I see what others are reporting, with animated solids. The same "tearing" display with RAM previews also happen with animated text. I've spent a few hours trying different settings, but to no avail.

Message was edited by: davidp158

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 8:54 AM   in reply to pkroll

I don't know if its "tearing" I'm experienceing, but there is certainly some screen rendering problem going on with CS6.

I'm on a Windows 7, Quad Core, 2.4 Ghz, 8 GB memory, with Nvidia GeoForce 8500, 521 mb Video ram.  Its been adequate with previous versions, but now, I'm getting this strobing effect, where the program display flickers off an on less than 24 times/sec after I make some change to a graphic.  The change will appear, after 30 sec to 1 minute.  But the program is virtually unusable.

:<)Greg

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 1:58 PM   in reply to pkroll

I made a video of what mine looks like:

http://youtu.be/xJK6U7qWKTQ

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 2:04 PM   in reply to Advetel

That is not the dsiplay tearing we are speaking of. What we are seeing is only in the AE preview window and are usually horizontal tears or seperations. Yours is a whole screen flickering issue...which may be video card related.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 8:51 PM   in reply to pkroll

Just filed a bug report, as I have this problem too. Hope we receive a fix asap.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 1:59 PM   in reply to pkroll

I'm also having this screen tearing problem on my 2012 Mac Pro 12 core running OSX Lion 10.7.4.  Things were fine on the stock ATI card that came with it, but as soon as I installed a GTX 480 card from MacVidCards on eBay I got screen tearing in both AE CS5 and CS6.  It's not quite as bad as what pkroll shows in his youtube video - just one line that slowly moves down my screen and then repeats - but it's definitely distracting and not ideal.  I get it when ram previewing and moving things around in the viewport.  I'm not sure what to do since it looks like many people are getting this issue, even on "approved" video cards. 

It's been a month since Adobe's post saying they're working on it.  Is it fixed on your end yet, Adobe?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 6:28 PM   in reply to natevplas

natevplas - Thanks for posting here. If you haven't already, please send a bug report with your system info to Adobe. Even if they are aware of the problem, providing your info may help them decipher the cause. More bug reports also emphasize the need to fix this sooner than later.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 3:13 PM   in reply to pkroll

Check this thread...

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4408018#4408018

Looks like the tearing also happens with colored solids.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2013 12:46 PM   in reply to BenjaminMarkus

We've isolated the problem to an issue with how Mac OS deals with vertical sync and OpenGL. We are working on a fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 10:50 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

See the list of significant bug fixes in the next version of After Effects:

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/04/whats-new-changed-after-ef fects-next.html

This issue is fixed.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 10:51 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Todd - This is good news, albeit somewhat late in coming. I was expecting Adobe would have provided a free maintainence fix for the tearing issue months ago. The new features in CS7 AE are impressive, but paying to upgrade to CS7 for "significant bug fixes" to my CS6 Master Collection is an addational cost to bear for buggy software.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 11:08 AM   in reply to davidp158

David,

No one has said specifically that this bug will or won't also be in an update for CS6. I won't comment on that yet if asked, either. But keep in mind that we have many times released bug-fix updates for a previous version even after releasing a paid upgrade to the next version.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 1:44 PM   in reply to pkroll

Yes, it's fixed in After Effects CC (12.0). It's listed in the bug fixes on this page, as I said above.

No, it's not fixed in the After Effects CS6 (11.0.2) update.

We don't yet know whether it will be fixed in the next After Effects CS6 update. You can cast your vote for it to be fixed in the next CS6 update here: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2013 5:30 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Adobe After Effects CS6 (11.0.3) has been released. This update fixes many crashes and other bugs, including this OpenGL tearing issue.

Details: http://adobe.ly/AE_CS6_1103

Also, this fix is in After Effects CC (12.0), as mentioned above.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points