Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

taking the plunge into video

Jul 14, 2012 9:26 AM

Well, I've finally done it... ordered a video ( digital I guess you'd call it ) underwater camera.... or at least waterproof until your ears pop.

anyone have any hints or suggestions how to make the most of this...speak up !

eg. shots you've taken in pools, at beaches, on boats, in thunderstroms, etc ??

This fairly new camera ( olympus TG-1 ) is something totally new to me, as I've never shot any digital stuff ( except the red tests I did a while ago ).

My mousey computer had a tough time dealing with red raw ( winxp and cs3 )...so I had to use redcineX to convert to SD.  But this camera... maybe I will have to use cineform or something...??

My plan is to make a vampire movie...or a zombie movie...

I'm hoping I can get someone to star in it for a reasonable amount of $$...

My first choice would be Colin..if he is anywhere near MN.  For example, if he can make THIS FACE while wearing vampire teeth, UNDERWATER.... HE'S HIRED !

vampire1.jpg

Hope you are well, Colin, and I often think of you.

It's amazing that my first digital camera , a powershot S10 ( which cost like $800 at B&H on 9th Ave. and was worth about 25 cents a month later  ) was way less capable than this new Olympus camera that you can use while drinking all the coors lite in town...cause if you drop it, nothing bad happens.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 14, 2012 9:44 AM   in reply to able123

Rod,

What are the specs. of the video from the Oly (I think that there might be a pun in there somewhere - think about it for a bit)?

Good luck, and at least shooting your film in a pool, in the evening, or at night, is not like you're doing a zombie movie, and have to take the crew to Haiti's jungle in the Summer, or during hurricane season. I mean a dip in the cool pool in the evening - who could refuse THAT?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 5:04 PM   in reply to able123
    So this chic says, while laughing and having fun, " I'll get it ! " and dives into water hazard

My thoughts:

Show ball rolling into the hazard. M.C.U. of ball, just beyond the bank, clearly visible, but a foot, or two, from the bank, and not THAT deep. She goes to retrieve it, and kneels on the bank, clearly seeing the ball, just at the edge of her reach, She stretches a bit, then a bit more. At that point, her clothing could ride up, revealing even more tattoos. Camera focuses on one, say at the base of her spine, below her tee-shirt, which is riding up, and the top of her shorts, which is riding down.

Scream!

The aquatic vampire has reached up, from beyond the ball, and grabbed her hand, pulling her into the hazard. BF and other couple rush to her aid, only to see her disappear below the surface.

An old horror film, The Creature From the Black Lagoon, explored water hazards, and creatures pretty well. The "creature" was a bit hooky, but the terror of waterways was great for a chill up the spine. They managed to keep "the creature" sort of out of the lens, and let the suspense build. That film did for swimming in inland waterways, what Jaws did for the ocean. Thirty-seven years later, and the "shark's musical notes" are still a great metaphor for TERROR. [Or is that a simile, or maybe a smilie?]

When you go to explain an aquatic vampire, use flashbacks to a golfer, playing poorly, who throws his new set of clubs into the hazard. He relents, and wades in after them, feeling the bottom, as he wades. Suddenly, a vampire eel (maybe one, that looks like Ollie?) bites him! He wriths in great pain, and slowly sinks into the water...

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 5:04 PM   in reply to able123

Whatever you do, do NOT use the cliched look of Ghost Adventures, which is a horrible TV knockoff of The Blair Witch Project. I have seen better melodrama from the Surprise Players (Arizona).

Think Alfred Hitchcock!

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 5:08 PM   in reply to able123

Going back to the late 50's, there was a murder/suspense film, involving a drowned heiress in a wheelchair. I cannot recall the name of the film now. The suspense built beautifully, until the heroine discovered the body at the bottom of the lake. Great uw camera work, and excellent build-up. If I can recall the name, I will share it, as you might be able to use it to guide you, for when the rest of the foursome discovers the girl's bloodless body in the water hazard. I was training to become a lifeguard at the time, and that film made an impact on me. I still can conjure up that moment of discovery.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 5:40 PM   in reply to able123

Crocodile Dundee, eh? I saw that, plus at least one of the sequels, but did not recall such a shot? Maybe I need to revisit that film. As I recall, it was rather fun, though I seem to remember the sequal (set in NYC?) was less so.

Maybe it was Greg Norman, reaching into the water hazard, when the croc struck? Do not recall him having tattoos, but perhaps Chris Evert can verify that?

If your actress does not already have a "tramp stamp" at the small of her back, perhaps you can use one of those temporary tattoos, and have something like a pentagram in the center - that could establish her link to the occult, hence why the vampire golfer chooses her.

You could then do a tangent on "devil-worshipping golfers," who sell their souls for better scores, only to have to finally "pay up," when Little Nicky shows up, just before the "club championship."

Let's see, the soundtrack could start with Ry Cooder's theme from Southern Comfort, and then go to Charlie Daniels' The Devil Went Down to Georgia.

Now, playing Art Director, I see a logistical problem. I see the golf course in the Deep South, with plenty of Spanish moss in the oaks, and maybe even some cypress trees at the edge of the water hazard. The "clubhouse" is an old, antebellum plantation house, and a Civil War battle was fought on what is now the golf course. Of course, there WERE slaves, and dead soldiers involved. No one in the plantation was happy, all of the way, up to the "master," who missed the cut in the 1863 British Open Championship...

Now, I have not figured out where Ollie, the "vampire eel" got HIS start, Maybe a first cousin to the Loch Ness Monster, but from Transylvania (Corund - Praid - Sovata)?

OK, there ARE some continuity issues, but nothing that we cannot work through.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 10:32 AM   in reply to able123

OK, maybe go back and screen Poltergeist, paying attention to the pool built over the burial grounds scene.

Let's see, maybe a "vampire" Count (or Prince, or whatever) comes to America, and is traveling from NYC to San Francisco (not sure why, but maybe he knows that he can go out at night in The Castro, dressed in his Euro-count finery, and no will notice him?). His wagon train gets to what is now Mound, MN, and his trused manservent runs afoul of the local Native American medicineman. In the process of the battle, the Count's coffin is lost in the lake, where he discovers that he can breath, hideout and plot how to get to San Francisco. While living in the lake, he sucks the blood of a giant eel, rendering the creature a "vampire" too. The Count manages to leave the lake, and head west (not sure that we need to go into the details of that journey, or who helps him, but just state that he is gone, maybe leading a nocturnal life in the City by the Bay, with the fog, etc.). Now, the vampire eel is left in that lake, which was incorporated into a muni golf course, as a large water hazard.

Maybe you get the Spanish moss into it, when the Dr., scientist, police chief, whomever, travels to New Orleans, to discuss the vampire eel with a voodoo priestess, who knows the story of the vampire Count... ? I mean who else could solve the strange cases of disappearing golfers, at the fangs of a vampire eel, like a voodoo priestess? Also, let the second unit film in NOLA.

I think that you are onto something there!

I'll actually do a camero (free of course), and actually hit the ball into the lake. I seem to be all too good at loosing my golf balls into lakes, streams or oceans *. Some of my playing partners refer to me as "Sea Hunt," from the old TV series of the same name with Lloyd Bridges.

Hunt

* Though I actually played Pebble Beach with the same ball, right up until my second shot on # 18 - ocean!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 1:54 PM   in reply to able123

cant we make the EEL a SNAKE

Absolutely! Done!

Snake is probably better, as other than a morray eel, most people do not really fear them.

Also, we might want to tune into the SFX Channel. If I heard the promo correctly, they are running either a movie, or series (?) on something like Vampire Anaconda! Might be some good ideas in there?

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 2:02 PM   in reply to able123

Now, a couple of years ago, PGA golfer, Woody Austin, wore a scuba mask, after he fell into a water hazard in the round, the day before. See more: http://www.pgatour.com/2007/tournaments/presidentscup/10/03/austin.ap/ index.html

Not sure if there was a snorkel in the outfit?

As I recall, he was NOT bitten by a "vampire snake" in the hazard, but maybe something DID happen while he was underwater.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 5:18 PM   in reply to able123

A couple of years ago, I was in Hawai`i, and went down to the beach. I was wearing my black, long-line, Michael Phelps autograph swim suit. Contrasted against my pasty white body, that black suit really stood out. In a few moments, a local TV station showed up with a "whale rescue team" from UH Manoa Campus, to "save a beached orca!" Bad mistake on my part. When I go to the beach, little kids try to feed me mackerel, just like they did with Shamu at Sea World. Maybe that is why I go to a dark bar, and drink - I'll let the beach be used by the Japanese tourists, who show up before dawn, stake out their area, and do not leave, until about sunset.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 5:07 PM   in reply to able123

When the camera comes in, remember to tell us all about it!

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Mitchell Lopez
    259 posts
    Jul 8, 2004
    Jul 20, 2012 7:43 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

<  I'll let the beach be used by the Japanese tourists, >

Uhhh, Bill.... In the summer here in San Diego, we have to put up with Zonies.

How about a movie about Zombie Zonies?  That would be double scary.  If it isn't bad enough that they take over the beach with their sandles with socks with long pants, they are also flesh eating.  In the movie, the only problem with using a "double tap" on them, is that their car is still taking up parking spaces at the beach.

And in the underwater scene in the water trap, the Zombie Zonies could harress the girl with the tramp stamp, to search for lost golf balls on the bottom of the water.  After the girl finds a lot of golf balls, instead of tipping the girl, the Zombie Zonies eat her flesh. 

The only way to escape the Zombie Zonies is to stay on the freeway and go 80mph, as Zonie cars appearantly aren't able to go faster then 62mph.

This would be a increadibly scary movie.  (That some people have to live every summer)

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,894 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jul 20, 2012 5:49 PM   in reply to Mitchell Lopez

Bill I am sure you are exagerating, but it made me laugh.  The bain of our lifes in the summer are the hords of rented camper vans.  They pay scant regard to other road users, and appear to have knowledge of NZ road rules.  I would never ever even think about using a pedestrian crossing when a rented camper was in sight!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 1:47 PM   in reply to able123

I didn't realize I sound like one of the animated chipmunks.

I always pictured a snakey hisssss.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 7:45 AM   in reply to able123

" The Creature From the 18th Hole "

Golf courses seem to offer quite a bit, in the way of location filming. Some years back, a couple of wife's Drs. from Colorado came down to AZ to buy into an ER operation. They stayed out in the hills, at a golf resort, and were trying to get in a quick 18, before dark the first day. When they got to 17, one Dr. hit into a deep bunker, not too far off the green. He walked to the edge, and stopped. Some guy was shooting a video IN the bunker with two young ladies in the buff. He took a "free drop," and just played through. Guess they thought that it being evening, no golfers would be coming through that late?

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 5:51 PM   in reply to able123

sounds like a cross between edward weston and man ray ...." biomorphic shapes in the sand "  ???

Yes, and with a bit of Eadweard Muybridge, and Tristan Taormino (I'll let you Google that one for yourself) too.

Did remarkbably better, but still suck...so my best statement is " I suck less " .

Yes, "less suckie" is a good thing, at least in my book.

If I can get some wireless mics and reciever, and plug that into the zoom... and also a shotgun... I should be in good shape....maybe a mixer and amp too...hey why not dream big ??

So you're going with some underwater mics, eh? Kind of like a hydrophone?

I can just see your next post, "How do I remove that gurgling sound in my audio?"

am now considering two films.. .a documentary about mound, mn, and a thriller called  " the creature from the 18th hole ".

I'd start with the doc. but keep all outtakes handy. Since it was built on an "Indian burial ground," might be a lead in for the creature-feature, later. Think Poltergeist.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 10:54 AM   in reply to able123

OK, so maybe my screenplay, regarding the Indian "burial ground," was not what you needed.

Think that I have a new one for you, and it will give you the opportunity to explore the UW filming and audio capture.

First, see this TRAILER from years ago.

Then, see the details of a recent TV special on MERMAIDS. Here is a better look at the DISCOVERY CHANNEL SPECIAL.

Think about both, and note some strong similarities.

I believe that there might be a link, and you can explore that, right in your backyard pool.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 10:12 AM   in reply to able123

wow... the ol creature from the black lagoon... one of my favorites !

and mermaids.. hmmmm  a lot to think about there....

Well, it was a bazillion years ago, that I saw Creature, but when I saw Mermaids, something clicked. At first, I could not place it, so ruminated on things for a bit, then it hit me - "I have SEEN that creature before... !" Yes, in The Creature from the Black Lagoon, back in about 1954.

When I reviewed the trailer, I was flabbergasted - it WAS the same creature, at least through the eyes of Hollywood, back in the 50's. Looking closely, they did a right fine job. I am surprised that reference to Creature was not made in Mermaids, but maybe they wanted to distance themselves from Hollywood, though they did delve into "historical" references to mermaids. Uncanny!

Good luck, and maybe you can offer to screen Creature for the apt. complex - maybe rent one of those giant inflatable TV screens, and let everyone watch from the pool? Remember, no glass containers, and NO RUNNING!

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 4:05 PM   in reply to able123

I thought that you knew all about the giant inflatable outdoor TV.

You might want to add one of THESE, for the crew to unwind after a hard day of filming. May as well throw one of THESE in that order too. Remember, no glass bottles around the pool.

Enjoy the pool, and no running!

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 11:56 AM   in reply to able123

I wonder what would happen if you filled it with helium ??

Well, that might depend on what is showing - say Close Encounters of the Third Kind?  Might make as many headlines, as the "balloon boy."

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points