Skip navigation
mrdebos
Currently Being Moderated

Is it possible to apply path styles to live paint objects or clipping paths?

Jul 13, 2012 6:58 AM

Tags: #styles #strokes #clipping_paths #live_paint_objects

Hey everybody! I tried searching for the answer online, but couldn't find what I was looking for...

I want to create an illustration with black outlines. Within these outlines I want to have some spots without outlines that stay clean within the lines. I have tried 3 options so far and have found a solution but it's far from ideal.

1. Create clipping masks for each element that has a spot on it and assign a stroke to the clipping path again after. However by creating the clipping path, the path styles dissapear. In this case I want to keep the pointed ends to the open path outlines (see top image).

2. Draw in the lines where the spots are and create a live paint object of the entire illustration. Then paint in the spots and other areas. However when I create this live paint object the lines again lose their applied styles and even 'end' at each intersection, creating nasty edges where the lines should go 'underneath' smoothly (see bottom image).

3. The option Im using now. Duplicate the path outlines and create clipping masks for the spots without strokes. Then put the stroked outline with the desired styles on top. The problem with this is that I have almost twice as much elements in my illustration now than I actually 'need'. And the styled outlines are not connected with the color underneath, so its very easy to accidentally move something around...

Does anybody know of an easier way to create this effect without all the hassle? Thanks in advance for you time!

pathstyles.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 13, 2012 9:20 AM   in reply to mrdebos

CS5 Added Profile to bottom of strok palette

Screen shot 2012-07-13 at 11.19.04 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 14, 2012 1:06 PM   in reply to mrdebos

Screen shot 2012-07-14 at 2.58.56 PM.png

I drew the dark beige shape by pasting a copy in front of the black stroke with light ebige fill. Used the pencil tool to redraw the bottom edge. Then fixed the leaks byusng a blending mode of darken.

I try to keep my illustrations simple using the fewest paths possible, to make future edits easy. Live paint creates a mess, so never use it as I like to control my compound paths and masks.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points