Skip navigation
Nicolas Franck DET
Currently Being Moderated

LR4 Feature request: Add local noise reduction

Jul 14, 2012 12:05 AM

Tags: #lr4

Hello,

I wish to apply noise reduction localy. On the backgroud apply a lot of and in forgroud (where the object/personn ist) a little.

See this example.

The current local noise reduction ist NOT the same as the one in the detail panel. It is a lof f less efficient.

ThanksScreen Shot 2012-07-14 at 09.01.06.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 14, 2012 1:03 AM   in reply to Nicolas Franck DET

The NR brush applies noise reduction at the settings you've chosen in the Detail panel, Nicolas - but I understand the brush doesn't apply chrominance NR, just luminance: but the same luminance NR algortithm is applied, whether globally or selectively. If you want a stronger NR effect from the brush, increase the effect in the Detail panel.

Relevant discussion here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4205720 which reflects my experience of using the brush perfectly. Post 7 from Jeff Schewe is particularly helpful, I think.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 1:30 AM   in reply to Nicolas Franck DET

Nicolas Franck DET wrote:

Humm. Well. Then it would be nice to add the chrominance NR because the result ist not the same.

It is strange, on the face of it, that chroma NR isn't an option for the brush, but - in my experience - I have to say that it makes sense to apply chroma globally (it's pretty much always going to be the same across the image - it's not worse in shadows, for example), and to apply luma locally, to address areas where the noise is worse - like shadows, especially after they've been lifted.

The current arrangement works really well for my needs, and I've never felt a need to selectively apply chroma NR - it seems that the design matches that expectation.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 2:23 PM   in reply to Nicolas Franck DET

Appx. zero chance of seeing color NR localized anytime soon. In my opinion, the global default is appx. perfect for 99.X% of photos (and few people have much desire for local control), but can be optimized for the exceptional cases. Luminance NR on the other hand, can vary all over the map, depending on the photo, the person, and the image region - highly desirable to have the local control that we now enjoy.

BTW, what Nikon calls color noise reduction is really luminance noise reduction - Nikon's true color noise reduction is the *only* setting that can not be disabled nor adjusted, and one of the few that can not be applied locally in NX2.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 3:05 AM   in reply to Nicolas Franck DET

If your bg is blurred like in the sample you can for instance use negative sharpness to reduce noise.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 3:12 AM   in reply to martin-s

To further extend what martin-s was saying:

Local sharpness = -50 (exactly) will mask all sharpening completely, without blurring. -51 to -100 is akin to a gausian blur and should be avoided (unless you want true blurring).

(local sharpenng -1 to -49 will partially mask global sharpening).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 1:50 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

Cool Rob, I had no idea there was a cut-off point. I use negative sharpness combined with negative clarity and/or contrast for blur effects. It's not unusual that I stack multiple brushes when -100 isn't enough 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 9:43 PM   in reply to martin-s

martin-s wrote:

...I had no idea there was a cut-off point...

The only people who know about it are the one's who hang out on this forum .

martin-s wrote:

I use negative sharpness combined with negative clarity and/or contrast for blur effects. It's not unusual that I stack multiple brushes when -100 isn't enough 

Thanks for the tip. My problem with blurring in Lr is that the blurred region ends up "too clean" (the rest of the photo has at least a bit of noise in it). I have dealt with it in the past by applying grain to the blurred region using an external editor - but that takes a lot of the fun out of doing the blur in Lightroom.

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 2:34 PM   in reply to Keith_Reeder

Keith_Reeder wrote:

If you want a stronger NR effect from the brush, increase the effect in the Detail panel.

If you (or anyone else) could elaborate on this, I'm all ears...

I assumed local amount was just added to the global amount (maybe with some non-linear attenuation at larger amounts, like highlights/shadows locals), no?

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 2:06 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

Just going by the advice in the thread I linked to, Rob -  I'm simply suggesting that the amount of NR applied is dictated by the Detail panel slider, and that increasing the value of the slider will increase the amount of NR applied by the brush.

I see your point though, that there will be a cumulative effect from the Detal panel slider and the value set with the brush slider. This is what happens when you write something from memory without Lr open in fron ot you!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 1:13 PM   in reply to Keith_Reeder

So, if I may summarize:

Slider in Detail panel (Luminance) sets global amount, and slider in brush or grad filter (Noise) sets an additional local amount (of luminance noise reduction, not color noise reduction).

To be clear: the amount or strength of local NR is not influenced by the global amount setting, although the net amount will be influenced by it of course.

R

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 7:32 AM   in reply to Nicolas Franck DET

Nicolas Franck DET wrote:

Humm. Well. Then it would be nice to add the chrominance NR because the result ist not the same.

I see no color noise whatsoever in your example photos. So what would you achieve by that?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points