Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge Problem opening files in Photoshop CS6

Jul 13, 2012 4:16 PM

CS6 Bridge appears to work fine, however when I try to open a file into Photoshop CS6 I get a flag saying it cannot find Photoshop CS4? Any ideas?

TIA Keith

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 14, 2012 12:25 PM   in reply to Kay_Po

Moving this discussion to the Photoshop General Discussion forum.  Kay_Po which operating system are you using?  How are you attempting to open Photoshop?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 6:04 PM   in reply to Kay_Po

This problem usually crops up if you uninstall a pevious version.  It fouls up the file associations.  So because you uninstalled CS5 after instaling CS6 you are seeing this problem.

If you only have CS6 you can uninstall and run the Adobe Script Cleaner and re-install, or go in and do a registry patch below.

Go into the Registry, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\open\command, and change the (Default) from "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe" "%1" to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe" "%1" (so changed CS4 to CS6) - and now you should see 'Adobe Photoshop CS6' in my 'Open with' list when right-clicking an image...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 10:55 AM   in reply to Kay_Po

You can open Bridge and change the file associations in Edit>File Type Associations to change to PS CS6.  That is the easiest way.  Another way would be to open Control Panel>Programs>Default Programs to change the file association for .jpeg, .psd., .tif, et cetera. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 5:55 PM   in reply to PhotoGene47

PhotoGene47 wrote:

You can open Bridge and change the file associations in Edit>File Type Associations to change to PS CS6.  That is the easiest way.  Another way would be to open Control Panel>Programs>Default Programs to change the file association for .jpeg, .psd., .tif, et cetera. 

For your info, and others, this does not work in situations were the file associations become corrupted by uninstalling a previous version.  The mechanism for corruption is not quite clear to Adobe, but somehow the registry for file associations gets reset to the version that was deleted.  Since the normal methods of changing file associations, that you mention, do not affect the registry file in question, the problem still remains.  Therefore one needs to wipe files with the Adobe Script Cleaner or go in and change the registry.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2012 11:43 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Can you give me any idea as to where these files reside in an mac environment? thanks

Also not sure where to find this adobe script cleaner.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2012 12:34 PM   in reply to uhanepono

uhanepono wrote:

... not sure where to find this adobe script cleaner.

Link to Creative Suite Cleaner can be found in page:

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs5-cleaner-tool-installation -problems.html

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2012 10:03 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

I had the same problem, which was caused by uninstalling previous of CS after installing PS6. Here is a quick fix for Windows users that apparently contradicts info in other posts.

Put a Ps6 icon in an accessible place. For example:

Go to Start->click on all programs.

RIGHT click on the Ps6 icon, then on Send To

Use this to put a Ps6 icon on your desk top.

Then open Bridge, ->Edit, ->Preferences, -> File Type Associations

click on the file type that won't open in PS6, then click on the down arrow, which will let you browse to the Ps6 icon on the desktop.

Click on the Ps6 icon

Repeat each file type associations for each file type you'll need (jpg, psd, tif, etc.)

Contrary to other posts, this worked for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 5:33 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Hi, Kurt

I had the same problem (after uninstalling CS5, Bridge wouldn't open files in CS6, instead trying to open them in CS4). I followed your registry change instructions, however rather than CS4 being listed there, CS5 was. Nonetheless, I changed CS5 to CS6 in the registry.

But I still have the same problem. Bridge tries to open my .NEF (Nkon RAW)  and .PSD files in CS4. There must be some other connection that I haven't fixed yet...any ideas?

(Win 7 Ultimate, HP computer with i7 / 24GB)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 5:40 PM   in reply to CharlieMorey

Since you changed the registry have you now tried to change file associations in edit/preferences?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 5:42 PM   in reply to Curt Y

No. Just made that one change to the registry.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 5:49 PM   in reply to CharlieMorey

Neglected to mention I'm running the 64-bit version...if that matters.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 5:52 PM   in reply to CharlieMorey

Try Bridge file associaton for  the files in question.  Will have to browse to the PS CS6.exe location to select.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 6:14 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Got it. Works fine now for those two file types. Now on to change the others. Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2013 5:06 AM   in reply to PhotoGene47

I tried Curt's solution, to change the register entry, that didn't work.  This one did: changing the file association inside Bridge, but the path he gave was not correct.  It should be  Edit/Preferences/File Type Associations,  then select the file type and browse for the CS6 program.   Interesting though:  in the Adobe program file there still remains a folder for CS4 and CS5, after having uninstalled both programs!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points