Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Save for Web stopped saving @ 72 dpi. Help, please!

Jul 14, 2012 8:47 PM

Tags: #photoshop #cs6 #save_for_web

I am running Photoshop CS6 on Windows 7. I had two prior installations of photoshop on my system due to upgrades, so finally decided to unistall CS3 but kept CS5 just in case. Now for whatever reason, CS6 goes through the motions of the Save for Web dialog but doesn't change the resolution of the outputted file to 72 dpi. It keeps it at 300. It had been working perfectly until now. I went back in and tried it in CS5 and that still works fine. Any ideas? I'm getting so frustrated! Is there a setting somewhere that I messed up?

Thanks in advance!

Michelle

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 14, 2012 8:59 PM   in reply to AModernLife

SFW never really did save your pics at 72 PPI. It just stripped the PPI info away with the rest of the metadata. Do you have SFW set to save any metadata that might include PPI info?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 9:01 PM   in reply to AModernLife

Did they change something in CS6. To my knowledge save for web ignored the ppi, when saving the file. Because it is for the video display that does not use ppi.

Perhaps the app your using to verify the image's ppi is set to 300ppi.

I am still on CS5 so excuse my ignorence if anything has changed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 9:01 PM   in reply to AModernLife

In the save for web dialog look at the metadata settings.

A stting of none strips the resolution setting.

Really there is no resolution data in the file with the none setting, but photoshop has to show something in the image size dialog, so most of the time it just shows 72.

For web use the resolution means nothing, it's the pixel dimensions that matter for images on the web.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 9:03 PM   in reply to AModernLife

The dpi is irrelevant to your saved images for the web anyway. 72 dpi is a misleading myth for web images.

All you need to ensure is that the image dimensions (measured in pixels e.g. 100p x x 100px) are correct then save to JPG, GIF or PNG.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 9:11 PM   in reply to AModernLife

DPI is irrelevant unless you're printing. It's the number of pixels in the image which counts.

More pixels = bigger filesize.

On the web 100px x 100px is always the same size on screen (regardless of DPI which only comes into play when printing).

See if this helps

http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2010/02/the-myth-of-dpi/

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 9:17 PM   in reply to AModernLife

In cs5 on windows the first three metadata settings strip the resolution and the last two keep it.

But as others have noted resolution doesn't matter for web display.

Untitled-1.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 9:28 PM   in reply to AModernLife

"But the 72 dpi sure makes for a smaller and therefore faster loading file. Doesn't it?"

No. PPI is irrelevant to file size.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 9:45 PM   in reply to AModernLife

I also checked cs6 on windows and it appears to do the same, but it sounds like you got it straight.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points