Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I select the Poster Frame when exporting to video?

Jul 14, 2012 10:51 PM

Tags: #exporting #cs6 #poster_frames

PP CS6

I cannot find how to select the frame that I want to appear as the Poster Frame in the exported video.

I can select it I can change one by right clicking an imported video OK but not the sequence!

I've been through every menu I can find & even Lynda.com training!

I'm sure that there must be a way but I'm blowed if I can find it!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 14, 2012 11:05 PM   in reply to OscarPurcell

You might not want to hold out til you find it. A poster frame is not a function of a video encoder.

|
    Mark as:
  • Jon-M-Spear
    969 posts
    Jan 27, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 14, 2012 11:59 PM   in reply to OscarPurcell

Unfortunately you're barking up the wrong tree.  It is not a function of Premiere either.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 2:53 AM   in reply to OscarPurcell

How about saying where you expect this poster frame to be displayed. The method would be different for different targets.

You can create thumbnails for chapters in DVD authoring, Vimeo and YouTube have methods after you upload a video.

What are you hoping for?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 6:26 AM   in reply to Stephen_Spider

There are two common meanings for the phrase "poster frame":

1. A standalone image on disk (JPG etc) which is displayed by a player before the video is loaded - commonly used by video player apps on websites (YouTube etc), InDesign and PDF files, etc. so the video asset doesn't have to be opened in order for the viewer to see what they're about to watch - although the image is normally captured from the video it doesn't have to be.
    2. An image resource embedded into the XMP/ID3 data of a video or audio file which can sometimes be shown in the player, but is normally set because it  appears as the thumbnail image when viewing the files in Finder or Windows Explorer. It's not part of the content stream, it's in the file header. In MP3 files it's used to store album artwork.

You can create standalone JPEG images from PP using the camera icon below the monitor and can semi-automate the export of a still image alongside your video using presets in Adobe Media Encoder, but there's no option in PP (or via Adobe Media Encoder) to specify the embedded poster image in a rendered media file. Several third-party apps can do it, either during render (Compressor / Squeeze) or after the fact (Quicktime Pro), but support for these embedded resources depends on the wrapper for the video file.

The ability to set a 'poster frame' in the clip bins in PP is solely there to help you organize your project assets visually - for example if the imported footage starts from black, or if you want to choose a frame where the slate is visible - but your choice has no effect on the sequences at export and isn't written back into the original footage.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 4:51 AM   in reply to OscarPurcell

Oscar,

Hear what Dave said. You cannot choose a poster frame in PP or media encoder. You now get different poster frames in web and in windows explorer cause those programs have different methods of choosing the poster frame when it is not specified by a third-party program.

Dave: I believe Episode Encoder can set the poster frame as well?

EDIT: Actually, setting a poster frame would be a really nice feature in the future versions of Media Encoder...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 5:10 AM   in reply to OscarPurcell

it seems odd that PP doesn't allow one to select which, yet allows one to choose it in the (relatively unimportant) clip bin!

Wrong. We have our choice. In Encore shortcut to chapter mark is press star (*).After chapter point appears ,just tick it with mouse and it will be highlighted with red. Now move the timeline header to whereever position you want ,when you are satisfied with the frame in monitor, press shift and star and your poster frame is selected. In case multiple chapter points are available , you should select poster frame earlier to next chapter point else misleading frame not connected to this chapter will appear. you may now proceed with another chapter point and repeat above. Chapter points and poster frame are connected to Encore only and not to Media encoder

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 6:10 AM   in reply to BOSU BABU

Correct me if I misunderstood but Oscar won't want to use Encore at this point but he want's to choose the poster frame shown in Windows...?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points