Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

compatibility with Mac OS Mountain Lion

Jul 14, 2012 3:46 PM

Tags: #cs3 #mac_os

Does anyone know if Adobe has verified whether or not Dreamweaver CS3 (ver. 9.0) will be compatible with Mac OS 10.8 when it's released later this month?  The App Compatibility Table at RoaringApps says "not tested."  Adobe, are you testing?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 14, 2012 6:19 PM   in reply to TigerMo53

Highly unlikely that Adobe will test CS3 to support Mountain Lion. It's too old.

If they get any attention at all, superceded versions (especially 3 versions old) will only receive essential bug and security fixes. But Adobe has retired CS3 long ago so don't get your expectations up even on that point.

They're definitely testing CS6 to support Mountain Lion since it's the current version.

PS are you aware that CS3 and CS4 owners have until 31 Dec 2012 to upgrade to CS6? After that date, CS3 and CS4 owners must pay full price for CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 3:38 PM   in reply to TigerMo53

There's nobody forcing you to upgrade your OS if you're not ready to.  I'm still using an older OS and will continue to until I purchase a new computer.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 3:45 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

The one-version-back policy (for perpetual licenses) and the Cloud may change things a little regarding OS upgrades.

When DW eventually drops support for XP, that version's upgraders will have to upgrade their OS.

That's already true for Premiere Pro and After Effects users who can only run CS6 on a 64 bit OS.

Likewise Lightroom 4 (now part of the Cloud too) does not support Windows XP.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 4:14 PM   in reply to John Waller

All true enough.  But upgrading OSs at every interval just for the sake of having the latest OS seems excessive to me.  Unless there is a problem or compatibility issue, I'm happy to keep using the same OS for as long as possible. 

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 4:27 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

But we all know that people want the latest and greatest hot off the press the minute it's released.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 5:32 AM   in reply to Nancy O.

The difficulty some people will have is that since OSX Lion, Apple  provide OS upgrades only via the App store and they  only sell the latest version e.g.  OSX Lion is now unavailable.

So if you buy a new mac or perhaps want to upgrade an old mac, you no longer have the option of installing an older OS from disc.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 8:44 PM   in reply to John Waller

It never occurred to me that there would be a problem. I just now upgraded to Mountain Lion and discovered that Dreamweaver CS4 is no longer an option in my life unless I want to pay the full price to upgrade in order to do work that I don't really need to do anymore. I'll just use good ol' WordPress and recreate my simple website in a fancier way anyway. Sheesh!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 1:25 AM   in reply to TigerMo53

You may be lucky in finding an already installed older version continuing to run, but typically the Adobe install/update programs will check the OS version and refuse to install if it doesnt match a known/tested/supported OS version.

But really in the case of dreamweaver you should be thinking about HTML 5 support.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points