Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CS6: crashes when printing or making pdfs. Going mad! Help?

Jun 28, 2012 8:18 AM

Tags: #problem #mac #crash #indesign #printing #print #cs6

Similar to another recent post, I'm working on a new MacBook Pro, with new CS6 software. No matter what I try, it crashes instantly when I go to print or make a pdf. Is it a font problem? Mine were managed at first by FontBook and now by Extensis Suitcase 4, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. How have others gotten around this problem? (I'm in a lucky position in that there are no old fonts or old bits of software on the machine -- but it's still crashing! Arrgh!) Thanks if any ideas.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 28, 2012 11:27 AM   in reply to Catherine Caldwell

@Catherine – does it crash even on new saved documents with blank pages?

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 11:34 AM   in reply to Catherine Caldwell

- power off mac and turn back on while holding down Command + R (dont do it on an external keyboard just to be safe)

- choose the re-install Lion option (I'm sure there is another way to re-install Lion, this is just the way I did it, not saying its the best or only method)

- DO NOT INSTALL MACBOOK (Mid 2012) Software Update 1.0 - THIS SCREWS ADOBE UP!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 3:29 PM   in reply to Catherine Caldwell

Ya, I hear you, I was too with my brand new macbook pro I just bought, but doing this re-install keeps all your programs and files in tact and you do not have to re-install everything from scratch like you just bought it, which I was surprised that it didnt delete everything off my mac too at first. I think because I didnt delete the startup disk/mac hd first and only did the lion re-install. It was painless actually and only took an hour and a half. I know, you spend this much money and you expect things to work...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 6:14 PM   in reply to Catherine Caldwell

Catherine Caldwell wrote:

(General rant: Is it unreasonable for me to expect new equipment to just do what it's supposed to do?)

That's just marketing hype.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 1:05 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

I was having this problem too, and it ended up being a font issue in an old graphic (converted the font to outlines in illustrator and then saved as .eps, unchecking the "embed fonts" checkbox). But now my coworker (who just upgraded to CS6) is having the same problem, and her image doesn't have any fonts in it. We are using PCs.

No resolution here yet.

One thing you might try -

InDesign would also crash when we try to copy the problematic image. So if you aren't sure which image is causing the problem, you can narrow it down by trying to copy each image until InDesign crashes. Then you can look further at that image and see if there are problems with it.

We're still trying to resolve this here, so very interested in any updates.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 12:03 PM   in reply to Catherine Caldwell

I bought a new Mac because I was having problems with the old one. This isn't a whole lot better! I can't believe these two major companies didn't work this out before the release. Ever hear of testing before releasing? Brand new laptop with constant crashes. Also lost a lot of my functions for my priner. NO MORE duplexing! Might just go back to the store and looks at PCs. Never thought those words would come out of my fingers!!!!!!!!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 12:09 PM   in reply to KCavallero

Please see InDesign Help | InDesign Crashes with Blank Dialog Boxes on MacOS 10.7.4

The problem is caused by changes to the Apple OS, by Apple, AFTER CS6 was tested and released.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 12:18 PM   in reply to KCavallero

Read the thread Peter pointed you to, but I will tell you this…I’ve been running InDesign on Windows for as long as there’s been InDesign.

Currently using Win 7 64bit and I have no problems at all.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 2:19 PM   in reply to Catherine Caldwell

I found the issue in CS5 that it was the Core Plug-in from Extensis Universal Type Client (if that is what you are using).

Try de-selecting the "Enable Universal Type Auto Activation" in your Universal Type Preferences.

My CS5 InDesign kept crashing when making pdfs- now it hasn't crashed since- but  you have to check that all your fonts are loaded when opening indd documents.

Hope this helps 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points