Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to convert a VCD to DVD

Aug 9, 2012 9:01 AM

Tags: #premiere_elements_10

I made a DVD of a slide show with music, etc. in Photoshop Elements 6. Then I bought a new computer with Windows 7 installed. I tried to import it into my new Adobe Premiere Elements 10 so that I could add a menu and rolling credits.  I had a live chat with a tech and he said my DVD file was a.dat file which is not supported by Windows 7. He advised me to get a free Video Converter and change the file extension.  I neglected to ask him what a safe converter would be and what file to change it to.

I have just purchased a HP computer, model #h8-1214. Processor AMD FX(tm)-6100 6-core processor 3.30 Ghz. Installed Memory 10.0 GB, System type 64-bit operating system. Windows 7 Premium home/Service pack 1.

I have heard you have to be careful downloading stuff from the internet and I am at a loss as to which converter will do the job and what file extension should I change it to?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 13, 2012 3:13 PM   in reply to flyinjewel

>live chat with a tech and he said my DVD file was a.dat file

Put your DVD in your computer drive and exit from autoplay... open Windows Explorer and go to the DVD... report back with what files you see on the DVD

I do not know what you use to convert a "dat" file... but 1st let's be sure of exactly what you have

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 4:22 PM   in reply to flyinjewel

Bernice,

Am I correct that you have yet to burn a DVD from that SlideShow?

Had you done that, and then copied over the DVD production, it would have been a VIDEO_TS folder (maybe with two more), and then VOB, IFO and BUP files inside that VIDEO_TS folder.

I have never used Photoshop Elements to do a SlideShow, but if I understand correctly, there are basically two ways to do that, if one wishes to edit the SlidShow in Premiere Elements: either Export the SlideShow from PSE as a WMV file, and Import that into a PrE Project (but one cannot do a lot of editing then, and that file will be heavily-compressed), or one can Send to PrE, if the version numbers match. My guess is that is where the DAT file comes from - you probably did not have a corresponding version of PrE, to match you PSE 6.0.

However, someone else will have to tell us if that is the format, that PSE uses to get a SlideShow to PrE.

I do know that Nero's player can play some audio/video files, wrapped in a DAT format, but I am not sure if that would handle yours. Even if it would, it would still need to be ripped, to get to the MPEG-2 files, that are created for a DVD.

One thing that does puzzle me is the DAT format. I see that often for system files, but also for some e-mail attachments from Word to Outlook, and then e-mailed. Those, however are quite small, and I only see them pop up for small JPEG Images.

Good luck, and hope that Neale, or others, will know the workings of PSE much better than I do.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 4:33 PM   in reply to flyinjewel

As Hunt said, you would have a video VOB file if you had created a "movie style" DVD

Since you appear to have some kind of Photoshop Elements file, you might want to ask for conversion help in that forum

http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop_elements

The IDEAL format to edit in Premiere Elements is DV AVI type II with 16bit 48khz sound

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 4:43 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

>One thing that does puzzle me is the DAT format

This is only a GUESS but a Photoshop Elements slideshow DVD (he did say he had created a DVD) may consist of an autorun leading to an EXE, and the exe then operates the dat file

Like the developer version of Microsoft Access creates a runtime to open the Access MDB file

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 5:12 PM   in reply to John T Smith

John,

I had not considered that possibility.

Not sure what Bernice has in that DAT, but it might contain the entire PSE SlideShow. Where my lack of knowledge shows, is that I have never used PSE to do a SlideShow.

Most users, who do, either have both PSE & PrE, of the same versions, and usually employ a rather direct route, sor of like ADL (Adobe Dynamic Link), say between After Effects and PrPro, or maybe PrPro and Encore.

I did a bit of research, going to Steve Grisetti's combo PSE/PrE book, but for SlideShows, he mainly tells one how to do it, and the pluses and minuses of the WMV Export vs the direct Send to PrE method. I found no reference to using unmatched versions of the two programs, other than the Export to WMV method, out of PSE. Still, I am hoping that he will drop by this thread, and offer his expertise - or that another user, maybe with mis-matched versions of the programs, will explain the process, and maybe identify the DAT file.

I feel that I am going to learn something in this thread.

Good luck to Bernice,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 5:41 PM   in reply to flyinjewel

Bernice,

I would definitely install PSE, and Open your SlideShow. If you do not have the Export option "Send to PrE," then you should be able to Export as a WMV, and just create a New Project in PrE, using one of the DV settings, that matches, both your country (PAL, or NTSC), and Standard 4:3, or Widescreen 16:9, depending on what you used for that SlideShow. For Audio, choose 48KHz 16-bit.

Once done, and in that Project (named and located, as you desire), just go to Media>Get Media, navigate to that WMV file, and choose it for Import. When it has Imported (make sure to let the Audio Conforming complete 100%, if you have any Audio/music in the SlideShow), then drag it to the empty Timeline.

Go to Create Menus and choose the Menu Set that you desire. If you need Chapter Markers for navigation, add those to the Timeline. You will need a Menu Marker at the beginning of the Timeline. Do not put any Stop Markers at the end of the Timeline.

Preview your DVD.

Then, choose Burn to Disc, and test it on your computer and a stand-alone DVD player.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 6:27 PM   in reply to flyinjewel

>install my version of Photoshop 6

Do be aware that such an earlier version MAY mean you will have to use a Windows 7 compatibility mode to run the older program

Search http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US for information on the Win7 compatibility mode

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 8:15 PM   in reply to flyinjewel

OK... a search at the link I posted before leads to...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/compatibility

You will need that page IF your old program does not work with Windows 7

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 8:27 PM   in reply to flyinjewel

Bernice,

IF (and that is a big IF) what you have on that DVD-Data disc contains the PSE SlideShow Project (I worry that your DAT is not what you want, but do not know), then you might be able to Open that file in PSE, when you install it.

What you do not seem to have is a DVD-Video, so ripping that, will likely not do what you need.

Now, you mentioned a "backup" program. Could it have written the DAT file, which might need to be "recovered?"

I am still puzzled by that DAT format.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 12:24 AM   in reply to flyinjewel

Try Handbrake .

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 8:11 AM   in reply to flyinjewel
    I made a slide show in Photoshop Elements 6.  Copied ( backed it up ) to a DVD. When I put the disk in my computer it will play.  When I put in in the disc player for the TV it will play on the TV.  The only thing I can't get it to do is go into either Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 or Premiere Elements 10. I"m beginning to think I need to start all over.

Bernice

OK... let's step back for a minute and look at what you have (poor example coming)

What you have is a loaf of bread... it consists of flour and water and eggs and yeast... and time in an oven at 350 degrees to convert "dough" to "bread"

Your "project" (which consisted of the raw ingredients) no longer exists... unless you happen to have your old computer stuck in the back of a closet

What you are trying to do now is convert your "bread" back to "dough" to re-make your "project" and re-bake the ingredients into a new loaf of bread

While my poor example is not "exactly" the case... since it is possible to re-edit the video VOB files from a finished DVD in Premiere Elements... it does not appear that you may open and edit the DAT file in Photoshop Elements to re-do your old project

Did you ever ask about converting the DAT file in the Photoshop Elements forum?

If conversion is even possible, I still think someone in that forum would know more than someone in this video forum (unless, of course, someone who also uses PE happens along and reads this message thread)

If you can't find a program that will convert your finished "loaf of bread" DVD back to "dough" compenent parts... then, yes, you will need to start over

For starting over, or a new slideshow project, you need to read in the Photoshop Elements manual how you make a backup of your PROJECT (and all the necessary files that are used in the project) so you may make project changes at a later date

This note http://forums.adobe.com/thread/919388?tstart=0 is for a video project, but Bill Hunt's idea MAY also be useful when designing a Photoshop project... to make it easy to copy everything to an external USB hard drive as a backup

Sorry I can't help more... I have a LONG list of possible programs to convert video files from one format to another, but nothing for Photoshop slideshows... so do ask in the other forum to see if someone there knows more

John

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 8:20 AM   in reply to flyinjewel

OK... Google knows everything... I entered "photoshop elements dat file" (without the " " marks)

Early reference to http://www.irfanview.com/ which is a VERY good, and free program (send the author a PayPal donation if you like the program) as a possible conversion solution

Also lots of other references that I did not click... so you might do a Google and see what you find

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 3:13 PM   in reply to flyinjewel

I just made a DVD of the slide show and thought I could send it to Premiere.

If that process had produced a DVD-Video, then you could just Import the VOB's into PrE, and edit some more.

It appears that you ended up with a DVD-Data, containing that DAT file, plus some others. Have you tried either Opening, or Importing that into PrE on the new computer? If so, what error messaged did you get?

Remember, I do not know PSE, but I did not think that it had the direct capability to burn to DVD, and that one had to use PrE, or another program to do so. Did you perhaps use another program to burn that disc? If so, can you recall what that might have been?

When you first posted to the PSE forum, did you get any useful comments about it using the DAT file? Do you have a link to that PSE forum thread? I'll be happy to read over that, and see if maybe someone had a useful comment, that perhaps you missed.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 3:44 PM   in reply to flyinjewel

What I have is a burned DVD of the slideshow. I think it was burned as "output" from Photoshop elements  6.

See, you taught ME something here. I did not know that PSE could burn a DVD. Thanks for that.

If no other program was employed in the production of that SlideShow, and it came directly from PSE, let's try another step.

I tried to drag it in Windows Explorer from the DVD drive to the program..

Insert your DVD into your new computer's multi-drive. If it starts to AutoPlay, just stop it. We do not want it in use by a player program. In Windows Explorer, create a new Folder, and name it "SlideShow," without the " marks. Now, Copy the contents of that DVD to your HDD (Hard Disk Drive), and into that new SlideShow folder.

Here I am going to make a guess, as I have never worked with a SlideShow from PSE, but launch PrE and at New Project, choose NTSC, or PAL (depending on where you live), DV either Widescreen 16:9, or Standard 4:3 (depending on how you created the PSE SlideShow) w/ 48KHz 16-bit Audio. Then, go to Media>Get Media>Files and Folders. Navigate to that SlideShow folder. Does that DAT file show in the little Finder window in Get Media? If so, choose it to Import it, and X your fingers. If it does not show we'll try two more things: There is a file type drop-down, and it should give you the option of All Files. Try that Import again, as now the DAT should show. Remember to X those fingers again. If that does not work, then navigate back to the HDD, showing the SlideShow folder, and try to Import that folder w/ its contents.

If you receive any error messages in any of these tests, take some time, and write them down exactly as they appear, then post those error messages here.

Good luck, and my fingers will be X'ed in Arizona, USA, hoping you the best.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 4:05 PM   in reply to flyinjewel

Bernice,

Have a great evening, and then give that series of tests a go. Let us know exactly what happens with each step.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 4:18 PM   in reply to flyinjewel

>They transferred everything they could to my new computer. They only thing they couldn't touch were the individual programs like Adobe

Like Hunt, I've never used Photoshop Elements... BUT... I think you are confusing the cart with the horse

Not counting the DVD you created, your old computer should still have the original data files (pictures and sound files) and the PE project file

A project file is what tells PE what you are doing... such as "load pictures A+B+C and sound file 1+2 and make a slideshow where each picture shows onscreen for X number of seconds"

If at all possible, you want to copy your project file (for Premiere Elements, that is a .PREL file) and original data files to your new computer

Then, you see if you can open the project file in your newer Photoshop Elements

Again with the poor example...

A computer project file is similar to a cooking recipe... you need to get that recipe copied over to be able to continue cooking

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 5:54 PM   in reply to John T Smith

John T,

I agree. What I have no clue, concerning, is how PSE creates a SlideShow, and what possible format might be involved.

I use Photoshop, and know all of the possible formats that it can handle, but it does not do SlideShows. Only PSE (in the Photoshop family) does that. I know how both PrE and PrPro do SlideShows, and that is with the common PREL (or PRPROJ - PrPro) files from PrE.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 10:31 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill, Thought you might like to know, you can do a slideshow in Photoshop CS6, either as a PDF presentation, or create one on the timeline (new in CS6) including transitions.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 8:09 AM   in reply to Robert J. Johnston

Robert,

Thank you for that info. Is that directly from PS CS6, or from Bridge CS6?

By chance, do you happen to know if, when one creates a SlideShow in Photoshop Elements, that SlideShow is created as a DAT file?

Appreciated,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 11:14 AM   in reply to flyinjewel

Use Windows Explorer to look at the files on the DVD and post a screenshot here.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 1:14 PM   in reply to flyinjewel

Your disk is a VCD. There's a ton of stuff on the Internet about VCD if you Google it. But here's a link to one answering the question "convert vcd to dvd".

http://www.videohelp.com/guides/how-to-quickly-convert-vcd-to-dvd-id43 6

A more generic search gives other links to conversion possibilities:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=convert+vcd+to+dvd

A specific free converter that popped up is "DVD Flick". Although its site does not mention VCD a post on another forum suggests it can do it.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 1:37 PM   in reply to nealeh

Neale,

Thank you for that. Now things are making a bit more sense, regarding the disc, anyway.

Appreciated, and hope that helps Bernice.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 1:42 PM   in reply to flyinjewel

Bernice,

I think that Neale has provided help for the DVD that you have. I would never have thought of the possibility of a VCD disc. I hope that your SlideShow IS there, and that with some of the conversion programs, that Neale linked to, you can convert that to a DVD-Video, where you can just Import the VOB files (contain the MPEG-2 DVD audio-video files, possibly spanned, depending on the size, and maybe some Menu navigation, if PSE does light authoring).

For Win7, I cannot help you, as I am still on XP-Pro. Sounds like I will need to prepare myself for Win7!

Though it might not be needed now, since Neale got to the bottom of things, but if you DO need to post a screen-cap, then this ARTICLE might be useful.

Looks like you were correct - you do need a conversion program, but one to convert from VCD to DVD-Video.

Good luck, and let us know when you do get your SlideShow into PrE.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 3:12 PM   in reply to flyinjewel

This article on Video Help should explain exactly what you have.

Note: there are quite a few ads around that page, so be a bit careful where you click.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 4:01 PM   in reply to flyinjewel

You've got to stop thinking about the individual files on your disk. In the same way that multiple  .vob, .bup, and.ifo files together make a single DVD so all the individual files on your disk make a single VCD.

So if you use a converter you should only need to point it at the disk, not the individual files in it.

Here's a couple of links from my favourite free software site:

http://www.nonags.com/freeware-vcdgear_1362.html

http://www.nonags.com/freeware-quick-media-converter_3349.html

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This